CoachV's Book Corner

Recommendations on books you have read recently.

Here are books I’ve read recently that I found entertaining (good storytelling)

The Big Burn, Timothy Egan (Biggest forest fire in American history)

The Immortal Irishman, Timothy Egan (stunning story of Thomas Meagher, Irish Rebel, Tasmanian prison escapee, General who led the Irish Brigade in the Civil War, Governor of Montana Territory)

Currently reading: Hero of Two Worlds: The Marquis de Lafayette in the Age of Revolution, Mike Duncan. Just got to when he met George Washington.

I don’t get to read as much as I’d like, but here are three I’ve read in the fairly recent past that I would highly recommend.

book-gardenofbeasts

1 Like

The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel. The author wrote for Motley Fool and uses short chapters to talk about concepts around money. His style reminds me of Malcolm Gladwell. Very easy read and very good nuggets of information.

Just finishing up this book.

Really remarkable stuff. Couple of nuggets I enjoyed; when Lafayette returned to America he wanted to visit all 24 states. In Boston, they asked him to return to he could lay the cornerstone to the Bunker Hill monument and he did. His arrival in NYC started with a parade down Broadway that began the tradition we now know as the ticker tape parade. He visited Fayetteville, NC which was the first American city named in his honor.

Lastly, Cornwallis got himself in trouble at Yorktown because he had it bad about capturing Lafayette.

2 Likes

Did you guys ever read The Best Running Backs of the NFL —1978….nice and light but informative.
Campbell, Peyton, Dorsett, Harris……golden age of running backs.

I’m jealous actually, I wish I had the time to read some of the stuff you guys have read….maybe this summer.

1 Like

Guns of August just dragged for me.

Now reading

3 Likes

Now that sounds interesting.

Anything by T.R.Fehrenbach

Lone Star a history of Texas
The Comanches
Korean War history

Non-fiction that reads like fiction.

Definitely not PC

1 Like

So far, it’s been a good read. Just arrived at his first scout party chase of Indians who stole a bunch of horses.

1 Like

Being made into a movie by Scorcese

2 Likes

Beat me to it….Dicaprio, De Nero, Lithgow, Plemmons, etc……sounds like a good one.

1 Like

Excellent read.

3 Likes

Any Scifi fans? Just finished book one of The Three-Body Problem. Pretty good!

Norb, I read the three Cixin Liu books in that series a few years back. I was interested enough to see where it all went, but didn’t really love it.

Oh great, I just started book 2! Now I’m wondering if I should even buy book 3.

You can find them in the Harris County library system. No need to buy it. But that’s just my opinion. A gazillion reviews on Amazon loved them all, I’d go with that.

OK Bill, thx.

Just finished The last book in Expanse. The entire series is pretty good can get a little draggy but pretty good. I recommend them overall,if you haven’t already read them.

1 Like

Yeah, I read all The Expanse books (I’m retired, so have the time) and enjoyed them enough, but I’ve grown weary of “high concept” books, films, TV shows, etc.

Just cracking a book titled “Dissent” about SCOTUS by Jackie Chalms, too early to know if enjoyable. For a long time I always had to finish any book I opened. No more. If’ I’m halfway through a book and I’m not feeling the love, back to the library with it.

The guys reading the bios and histories seem pretty happy. Maybe I’ll cast my net in the non-fiction section for a while.

1 Like

The only non-fiction I enjoy are thrillers/whodunits. I read the entire Vince Flynn catalogue, some went over the top but all were interesting and fun reads. They’ve kept it going after his death with mixed results.
The early stuff was really good.

1 Like