College sports is run by football, so why is the Big 12 betting big on basketball?

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article287517130.html

Any summary? I refuse to click his articles.

Creating a Frankenstein Conference with a Football head and Basketball body…is a very dumb idea.

Luckily our schools’ Presidents disagree with our commissioner on this one

We ONLY add quality Football + Basketball schools.

Hard NO to the Gonzagas of the world

2 Likes

I’d be skeptical of UConn and Gonzaga.

But I’d add Duke.

You get a P4 football program together with a basketball blue blood.

1 Like

As long as we land North Carolina State and Virginia Tech, im ok with whoever they select for #3 and #4 but i personally, would use those last two spots to expand into states we are not in (Pennsylvania, Georgia or Kentucky) but maybe Duke is worth having 2 schools in North Carolina

College Basketball accounts for 20% of the revenue. College football may run things but if you owned a business and a smaller competitor cornered the market on 10-15% of your revenue, you wouldn’t ignore that.

7 Likes

Now, how do we know that Duke is a blue blood? Jk.

1 Like

Va Tech and to a lesser extent NCSU have really fallen off the last few years. While I would be find taking them in, I would prefer that we go after Pitt and Louisville first. First, those two schools fit the profile of UH, Cincinnati and UCF. Second, Louisville and Pitt are both better football programs. They are also great basketball programs. Obviously NCSU just made the F4, but Louisville has been much better the last 30 plus years.

We arent going to ask BB schools to join. The membership has made it clear they will vote NO. Articles talking about it are a waste of time to read…We are waiting for the ACC implosion and it IS coming…4 good schools are going to be available for the taking and we will take them. We let BIG and SEC get theirs, then we get ours…MIAMI and Louisville seem to be top targets and they will be available…will be interesting to see who else is still available…We took 4 PAC schools. We will take 4 ACC schools and go to 20…There will be a clearly defined P3 and we will be a part of it…with the good TV revenues, and playoff slots that come with this…

8 Likes

It seems like you’re pretty well connected with the Big 12 decision makers.

Didn’t read the article but The AD’s have to vote on it and not unless it brings more revenue I assume they vote No. BY seems to be pushing for this but can’t force AD’s to vote Yes.

Didn’t read the article, but AD’s have no say in the makeup of the conference. University presidents and chancellors do.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say we are “betting on basketball” in the sense that we have intentions of leaving Football behind

What I think is happening is that the Big 12 is trying to asert itself as the most dominant basketball conference in order to keep our seat at the table with the B1G and SEC.

We have no leverage for football. For basketball, we do have leverage. We have elite basketball teams that simply cannot be ignored by the Power 2 based on TV Ratings and Rankings

5 Likes

Presidents will vote the way their ADs will tell them…BB only are not getting in!!!

Yeah I dunno if renu would necessarily vote the way pez tells her to, but I guess the point stands

5 Likes

Renu ain’t taking advice from Pez

9 Likes

Beat me to it

2 Likes

uh…i think it is the other way around.

ADs are under the influence of the President. Chancellor, Head of the BOR

NO WAY PEZ is running the ship here

6 Likes

Curious why you won’t click his articles? He’s won some accolades as a reporter. UHLaw97 thinks he’s a TCU homer given that he reported that TCU and UH were somewhat close to joining the PAC 12. Maybe he is. I don’t know about him other than what little I’ve read on the Internet. What’s your opinion?

In general he is not a TCU homer as claimed. He has spent many years with back-handed insults to TCU within his articles. Some subtle while others blatantly insulting TCU. For someone who is supposed to be a Fort Worth reporter (and has taught at TCU) he is really disrespectful. Occasionally he does post positive TCU articles which is probably why he is still around.

If you go to the main TCU forum, they will post the links to the articles. However, his name is changed to Big Steaming Pile.