Conference Realignment Discussion: Stewart Mandel’s Mailbag in The Athletic

To be fair, the Big 12 has only added two teams since the start. West Virginia and TCU were better additions than UH at the time. West Virginia added to the footprint, has good program history, and had been dominating in the Big East (3 BCS bowl wins). TCU was coming off 6 out of 7 years getting 11+ wins and finishing as the undefeated Rose Bowl champs.

WhoWeTalkinBout, I agree about Cincy and that is why my scenario had them already going to another conference because they should be option #1 for the Big 12. I disagree about Memphis. If you are just adding one team to get back to 10, I think UH is the best option if we are back rolling in football. But I only see us going to the Big 12 if there is a desperation move to be made.

1 Like

I’d think the ACC adding UH + UC is a better long term package than WVU + UC.

1 Like

I’m not saying anyone is a better option than us. I’m saying the Big 12 hates us and would never add us.

6 Likes

The ACC had it’s chance on WVU, they said no thanks.

From a geographic standpoint, we can fit any conference. The new paradigm is tv sets and streaming. It’s really now to opening up new markets. That’s why Rutgers and Maryland got invited, their TV markets. In that case, for us, the PAC-12 is the only conference that makes sense in that they have no presence in Texas. I would kill for the B1G, but that’s not going to happen.

The Florida schools and Cincinnati make sense for the Big-12-2, but will they do it?

Drink!

Realignment talk? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3 Likes

Why do they make sense? They seem pretty far out of the footprint.

On second thought, I guess footprint doesn’t matter anymore for conferences. It sure doesn’t for the AAC.

I agree with you that the B12 has zero interest in extending membership to UH. Waiting around for this to happen and reminiscing about the good ole days of the SWC is a fool’s errand. Either the AAC makes an effort to attract add’l schools (Boise St, SDSU), or we improve our FB program, keep winning in MBB, and set our sights for the ACC.

1 Like

The ACC views WVU as a bunch of hillbilly yokels. And that’s in addition to being in a small population state. WVU applied to the ACC and SEC in 2011 and they were shot down both times.

The ACC may look at WVU as a bunch of hillbilly yokels, but I would welcome them back to the AAC anytime. BTW, if any of you haven’t been to WV, it is a beautiful state. I spent a lot of time there back in the old days when Union Carbide was one of my main clients before the Bhopal disaster* caused them to go under.

*Talk about a screw job; India nationalized the Bhopal plant and for 5 years didn’t maintain it. After the incident they and the lawyers blamed Union Carbide. That’s like someone stealing your car, not maintaining it for 5 years and then having a wreck and blaming you. Union Carbide was the most safety conscious client I had in those days and wanted everything first class and no cutting corners.

2 Likes

I have been to West Virginia. It has pretty scenery. The citizenry has some serious dental issues.

1 Like

Maybe they are all from England? :slight_smile:

Hmmm . . . I didn’t know you could apply for membership with a conference. Is it that simple to find out if they want you?

Then I will agree the Big 12 isn’t happening for us barring some crazy realignment with UT/OU/OK St leaving. I don’t see any reason right now why the Big 12 would expand, they have proven they will only do that when it is 100% necessary. Don’t see the PAC either unless it was UT/OU. The ACC would be cool, but I wouldn’t hold my breathe on that.

Technically that’s what the new members have done to avoid legal liability of the conference extending an invitation and interfering with the current conference of the prospective school.

My understanding is that an application is simply a letter of interest sent to the conference lawyers.

Samosamo then blllff

Has anyone noticed that Ann Arbor Michigan and Columbus Ohio are only a little further from Houston than Orlando FL.? AND the Big 10 has no TV market in Texas?

Ain’t happening. The Horns are the only attractive university in the state of Texas to the B10. I could see Kansas going to the B10 as well if the B12-2 falls apart (OU to the SEC).

1 Like

Its no coincidence the B12 left behind the 4 SWC schools in the 2 largest metro areas in TX. Their business model is to avoid having a competitor in prime recruiting territory. UH being in the City of Houston is both a blessing and a curse. TCU (DFW) was added out of desperation.

3 Likes