Conference Realignment Discussion: Stewart Mandel’s Mailbag in The Athletic

I know this topic raises everyone’s blood pressure, so here goes…

There was food for thought Wednesday in Stewart Mandel’s Mailbag at The Athletic. Here are the questions in a nutshell: “As more conference TV deals are set to be negotiated in a few years, there is a likelihood that we’re due for another round of conference realignment. Let’s say the Power 5 ends up with 70 members, so five more. Who would you say are the top five schools most likely to make the leap?”

Mandel had it this way: 1. Cincinnati; 2. Boise State. Along with UCF, BYU, and San Diego State to round out his top five.

Did anyone read the entire article? Was UH even part of the discussion?

UH was not mentioned. To me, the article was very superficial. The only criteria seemed to be a winning fb team over the last 5 years. I can’t remember for sure, but I don’t think it even mentioned another sport or academics. I would check for you, but I have no interest in giving that article another hit.

1 Like

Thanks for the summary. I sure hope we start winning again in FB, raise our profile, and get some national media attention. Seems like lately FB is on par with Lou Tech, UTSA, and UNT, etc. Likewise, I hope we can lure Boise State and SDSU to the AAC for FB and MBB. I know the logistics and timezones are tough, but I think it is worth it to raise the profile of the AAC.

1 Like

this is mandels opinion and a wrong opinion…

7 Likes

I don’t believe for a second that Boise and BYU would be in the conversation !!

1 Like

Seems like the article didn’t focus on $$$ and TV eyeballs, which would seem to put UH in the conversation (assuming we are having some success on the gridiron).

Pesik, you seem to have your finger on the pulse…how are UH MBB TV ratings? Do we do pretty well?

1 Like

Maybe not Boise St, but I beg to differ on BYU. I think they’re a very attractive candidate.

2 Likes

BYU is attractive for sure but it’s a matter of the suitors in BYU’s case that’s the PAC and the Big 12. The others big conferences just don’t have to reach West for them. So it’s simply a matter of did the PAC get over their aversion to religious schools, or does the 12 successfully keep Horn and OU and bring in BYU to shore up the contract.

Byu definitely in the conversation due to their large fan base

2 Likes

They have a good football program due to the fact that their players are redshirted for about 3 years before beginning their football careers. That and other issues make them less attractive. They are a nitch player along the lines of ND. ND has the advantage because there are a lot more cathoilics than mormans.

1 Like

The article looks at the schools, but doesn’t take into account other factors.

Where is SDSU going? Pac-12? No Chance. Who else is going to take a coastal school? Especially on the far coast.
Boise ST? Their only hope is the Big 12-2. Pac-12 won’t take them. Academics are still important in the PAC-12.
BYU? PAC-12, when Hades freezes over Big 12-2 maybe…
UCF? Big 12-2 is their only hope. SEC (UF) and ACC (UM & FSU) would be sold no’s.
Cincinnati? B1G? No, they’re part of the Ohio State system and not AAU. Big 12-2, ACC, maybe. I can’t see SEC.

Unless the Big-12-2 is willing to really expand it’s footprint, I don’t see any of them going P5 anytime soon.

1 Like

Boise also has very low academic standards allowing anyone in so any conf. Letting them in would have to address it. They basically allow athletes in on community college level which be like us letting anyone in to UH almost regardless. There’s a reason Boise is competitive which is that.

BYU is the most attractive candidate without question. But a top 10 tier 1 basketball school would be very attractive. Remember that Maryland was incubated to the Big Ten with a run-of-the-mill football program. There are some differences but their basketball program and academics made them pursuable.

We need a couple of runs at the NY6 and we’ll be back on the realignment hot plate.

IMHO it starts with OOC scheduling and ends with competitiveness on the field.

1 Like

Click bait
This article reminds me of:

What did he say?

1 Like

We need to worry about trying to get a spot with the big guys.
No one outside of BYU would help the image of the AAC and that ain’t gonna happen.

1 Like

In the event the AAC gets raided and we’re left out to dry, I would be in favor of bailing on the American with SMU and going west to play in the MWC.

2 Likes

If its a disaster situation where the Big 12 grabbed Cincy/UCF/USF, then I agree. But add Memphis and Tulane with SMU so we have a group of 4. I don’t think that is a worry though and the American would probably still be more likely to grab 4 MWC teams in that scenario. Only team I see leaving to a P5 with us stuck in the AAC would be Cincinnati (to Big 12 or ACC).

1 Like

Also I think the best possibility for us is a situation where West Virginia gets sick of the travel and dealing with UT so they leave for the ACC with Cincy. The Big 12 would be in desperation mode to stay at 10 and UH would make too much sense not to add. Especially if we turn around football with a couple 9+ win seasons in a row. With basketball, track, and (hopefully) baseball all looking great then you just couldn’t pass up UH when the only other real options would be somebody like Memphis or Boise St.

2 Likes

since when did that matter to the b12

4 Likes

None of the Big 12 schools want us. So we’re off the table from the start. Cincy/Memphis makes the most sense for the Big 12. If they want to go to 12. Toss in the Florida twins if they want to add 4. In either scenario we’d want to bolt.