Conference Realignment Discussion: Stewart Mandel’s Mailbag in The Athletic

I’m guessing it has to do with COVID sports gatherings, particularly with an indoor championship.

1 Like

Pez has connections from his time at Cal, so I would never rule out joining the pac-12 as a possibility now that they will have new leadership.
There are always plenty of intangibles that go into these decisions and i’m sure Khator and Pez are making sure UH is always top of mind for thier friends out west

2 Likes

Pac12 here we go. I do think Pez really helps us and it isn’t a coincidence we helped the pac when needed. They will remember it.

2 Likes

It is also an opportunity for PAC12 Coaches and/or ADs to see the campus and facilities firsthand.

2 Likes

They sure do care about the two NFL teams that play in New Jersey - the Giants and the Jets.

Mizzou is the only FBS football school in Missouri, and has strong followings in St. Louis and Kansas City, as well as across the less populated areas of the state. That’s about 6 million people. Mizzou’s a big deal in Missouri. It’s also AAU.

Probably some Mizzou followers live across the river in Illinois, as well.

My daughter goes to Mizzou. Saint Louis is not a big Mizzou town, my family lives there. They care about the cardinals and the cardinals and occasionally the blues. There is a bigger billiken following in sai t Louis than tigers. Kansas City is the chiefs and the chiefs and the chiefs.

If mizzou had won 7 games over the previous 2 years before the sec they would still be in the big 12.

1 Like

I lived in St. Louis for 6 years.

Yea, the Cardinals are first and second and third.

But the point is there are no other colleges that challenge Mizzou for those who are interested in college.

I grew up in Chicago. It’s not a big college sports town, but with 8 million people, there are enough in the market to have better ratings than lots of other areas.

1 Like

I’m guessing ND has a big following in Chicago, right?

I don’t see any expansion anytime soon unless some major players (OU/Texas) leave the XII.

No other schools really move the needle for any of the other P5’s at this time.

1 Like

I think you are right. I also think Coog fans need to learn to love the AAC because I think this is where we will be for a long time.

7 Likes

When ND is doing well, it gets the most attention.

Some Big 10 coverage, but nothing in depth–unless it’s one of those rare years when the Illini (like this year) or Northwestern is doing well.

When I was growing up, DePaul basketball was the biggest story in town for a number of years. Even my HS dropout, atheist Dad was a fan–he couldn’t have told you what DePaul was, where it was or anything else–but we loved DePaul. Then they hired Joey Meyer to follow his Dad, Ray, and DePaul was dead to everyone I knew.

Chicago is a pro sports town, but it will warm up to local teams doing well. Not too different from Houston. I think most big towns are this way.

1 Like

I’m ok with the AAC if nothing happens bc it’s getting better in football and if nothing happens, we should keep the same membership. In all other sports, there are no barriers to a NC, so we’re good.

However I really think we will be in a p5 by 2025 when all over.

2 Likes

The thing is, the AAC is a damn good conference. I don’t get why we act like we are beneath it.

We’ve been a slightly above average team in the AAC especially outside the Judas years. We have one conference title and a shared divisional (lost tiebreaker) title in 8 years.

Let’s take care of business here. A league with a good/solid UH, UCF, Cincy, Memphis, Navy and a resurgent SMU is great. Getting rid of the dead weight in UConn was a good move as well.

11 Likes

Nothing wrong with the conference that an extra 25-35 mil per year wouldn’t cure.

6 Likes

You are 100% correct.
Do we need to post what Switzer said about being considered for the small12?

Now this is for the ones on this website thinking it is ridiculous thinking that we can be another Alabama if we join a P5.
“They’ve got better players in Harris County than anywhere else in the United States,” he said. “I always said if I could get the top 30 players coming out of Houston every year, I’d play for the national championship every year.”
Do I believe Switzer’s that won how many National championships or is it indeed ridiculous?
That is exactly what is at stake.
That is exactly why we are not in a P5
I have no doubt whatsoever that if we get a P5 invite uta is going to tell the small12 to do everything to get us in.
Why you may ask?
Because history repeats itself. That way they will control us with the ncaa’s assistance.
What is good for uta can’t be good for U of H.
Is that clear enough for you?

2 Likes

Eventually by 2025, UH will be in a P5. They can’t keep us down forever and fear isn’t a good policy on their part. Barry is right in that we’d be a force to deal with. Big 12 will have made a huge mistake once we go to another p5, other than the big 12 bc like LBJ said, we’d rather them pissing inside our tent towards outside rather then pissing into our tent.

I never understood why the B12 or any conference wouldn’t want to make their conference stronger. It is backwards thinking that having only 1 or 2 good teams and the rest scrubs is a good thing. Schools should want tougher competition in conference but these guys feel entitled so there you go

what’s the reward for making thier conference stronger?

1 Like

Reward is a better shot at making the playoffs , markets and money. The Sec added strong teams And the big added markets. The Sec is dominating this market so if the big 12 added Houston, they’d recapture some it. Right now the big 12 is at a disadvantage in that UT or OU have to go undefeated to break in and if the conf was stronger , there’d treat the big 12 more like the big 10 or Sec.