Coog Draft Guesses

Honestly Detroit trading up for Marcus was surprising (in a good way)

Really stoked with how the first round went

2 Likes

Pistons and Pacers. They had 18 combined ECF appearances from 1987-2014. They can bring them back to those heady days

Nah i get you. I panicked. I know what our guys bring. Just want them to get the recognition they deserve. It’s looking great having both of them drafted in the first now.

A 5 star and a 3 star

8 and 25th like Q

Our stock just went up. The two other teams to have 2 draft picks in the first

Alabama
Arkansas
Houston

5 Likes

He probably was just caught off guard and in the moment when the camera got in his face.

1 Like

Yeah, it looks really good for the program.

It is better we got two guys going in the first round. Nobody will remember the hand sign in about 15 minutes

3 Likes

I will. QUANNAS if you’re reading this. You’ve been here way to long to use the wrong finger :person_facepalming:

8 Likes

Skip Bayless last tweet in two hours was on the SG out of UH. I swear he’s a closeted Coogs supporter. He was a big Keenum guy for years

3 Likes

Lmao wtf is Quannas doing

Not everyone is ambidextrous. :joy:

1 Like

The only thing I care about is Q. White recruiting players that end up in the upper echelon of the NBA draft.

5 Likes

Sampson with two in the first round. Not a bad place to play ball

9 Likes

8. Indiana Pacers (via Wizards): Jarace Walker (PF, Houston)

The draft board broke in such a perfect way for the Pacers that Walker not only fell in their laps, but they were able to move back a spot and still get him. That’s a big win for Indiana.

Walker looks like a 6’7" linebacker, so it’s fitting his ceiling sits highest on the defensive end. He has switch-literally-everything potential with the quickness to keep in front of guards and the strength to battle bigs on the low block. Having him and Myles Turner in the same frontcourt could lead to a lot of sleepless nights for Indiana’s opponents.

Off the ball, he’s a chaos-creating playmaker who can change games with momentum-shifting steals, blocks and grab-and-go rebounds.

Walker can finish and feed open teammates, both of which will make him a strong pick-and-roll screener. The question is whether he’ll add the threat of popping out as a perimeter shooter. His 34.7 percent splash rate with the Cougars seems fine, but a 66.3 percent connection rate at the foul line presents some cause for concern.

If Walker’s shooting pans out, this could be a home-run pick. If it doesn’t, he still looks like a snug fit for this roster.

1.Grade*: B

25. Detroit Pistons (via Grizzlies): Marcus Sasser (PG, Houston

The Pistons see something they like enough in Sasser to move up to get him. It’s hard to tell what that something is.

Sasser is undersized (6’1", 195 lbs) and may not have the vision or passing to operate as a traditional point guard. That limits his NBA appeal, even while accounting for his shot-making, tight handles and defensive effort.

He has spark-plug potential, but he needs to expand his offensive menu, because teams will hunt him out on defense.

Detroit could have doubled down on the wing spot here, or if it really wanted a guard, it could’ve gotten more mileage out of Ben Sheppard, Nick Smith Jr. or Brice Sensabaugh.

1.Grade:* D+

2 Likes

8. Indiana Pacers (via Wizards): PF Jarace Walker, Houston

I would have liked to see a little more offense from Walker at Houston. He’s more defense than offense, but he’s also not quite a small-ball five or a big wing. He’s a long, powerful defensive-minded four who really improved in his senior year at IMG Academy. What you have to love from Indiana is adding two extra assets (in the future) while still getting their guy – though I might have preferred Taylor Hendricks here. Grade: A-

25. Detroit Pistons (via Grizzlies and Celtics): SG Marcus Sasser, Houston

The trade is that the Celtics, who acquired the pick in the Marcus Smart deal yesterday, are moving down to 31 for a future second. Detroit needs perimeter shooting and Sasser is a combo guard who can score. He could fit nicely next to Cade Cunningham and Jaden Ivey. He’s also the kind of tough baller that Detroit wants. It’s interesting that Celtics traded this because they don’t add much. Grade: B

1 Like

True, who wants toughness, shot making, great handles and relentless defense… what, what’s left?

1 Like

court vision and passing, according to the article

That’s kind of a weird analysis. I agree Marcus won’t be able to play as a traditional PG in the NBA so will either need to play with a big PG who can match up with wings on D (which Detroit actually has) or like a Jokic, Sengun, Sabonis, type Center who can initiate half court offense from the high post.

But I don’t get the hunted on D line at all. He’s got a 6’7" wing span and a very strong compact body otherwise with great lateral movement and instincts. As he develops he should be able to really irritate the Curry/Dame type PGs and passably hold his own in switches up to a certain point.

3 Likes

Sure, but they also left out toughness. And let’s be honest. I don’t see court vision captured on the scoreboard.

Idk about that… Miller is going to be a prolific scorer for them…

I read that as meaning that opposing defenses would try to get the ball into his hands because they don’t think he can do much with the ball. I could be wrong, though - I assumed his defense was viewed as a plus.