Cougar Band Wagon?

So did we add fans to the Cougar Band Wagon this year that might stick around? Or do you expect them to forget as the Astros take center stage? What do you think? What have you seen or heard?

It’s Houston. Teams will only be at the forefront of they’re winning big or there’s controversy.

6 Likes

Of course band wagon jumped on
 Plus the typical Coog who doesn’t support until a Peach Bowl, or Final Four appearance

3 Likes

This is Houston where fans are fickle. As long as we are winning big, there will be sellouts, otherwise forget it. Those of us in the core 1500, that is the folks that showed up game in and game out when we were were losing big time under Brooks, MacCallum, and Dickey, will still be there but that is all we can ever count on. That goes for the student section as well, you just never know when they will fill up.

4 Likes

One of my friends who has no interest in college sports jumped on the bandwagon. That was his first NCAA tournament he’s ever watched. I’d taken him to a game before but he wasn’t impressed because the opponent and it wasn’t packed. But, he is definitely on the wagon and i expect most people still are and will be.

It will be easier and quicker the next time they jump on. This also makes the die hards more enthusiastic. Opening day next year will be a hot ticket

1 Like

A few years ago we were probably down to 1500-2000 core fans. I’d like to think that we’ve added a decent amount of new loyal fans but reality is if we were to start losing again, we’d probably dwindle right back down to that 1500-2000 level. Blame it on the city.

Blame it on our Alumni, it’s shameful

7 Likes

The city supplies the alumni so we’re kind of saying the same thing, but totally agree. Our fan base or lack there of is the real reason we lag behind the P5. Our actual on court/field production has been P5 for a while. So are our facilities.

2 Likes

I think we will find steady growth if we keep winning through new alumni.

1 Like

The more the merrier but I do take offense at the bandwagon fans coming out the woodwork when we win as a fan who supports the team through thick and thin.

Here here to the real Coogs fans who remembers players like Aubrey Coleman, Gee Gervin and Dominic Smith.

4 Likes

I don’t mind bandwagon fans because that means we are doing really well.

3 Likes

Cant begrudge fans for being new. I just hope those fans that have come on board the last few years realize how special these teams are and don’t get turned off if we have a “subpar” year.

Hell, what about those here that remember Akeem, Clyde, and Michael Young?

Or even Elvin Hayes and Don Chaney?

Heck, a few here might even remember Don Boldebuck and Gary Phillips!!!

3 Likes

I interpreted his post to mean, ‘who was here for the down years’.

1 Like

I chose to highlight players from the dark ages. That’s how you know you were a true blue through thick and thin. It’s easy to name Phi Slams Jama (which I wasn’t around for) or this era’s players.

1 Like

Except for March of 1983 the 1983-84 season when I was working out of town and on the North Slope of Alaska, I may have missed less than a dozen home games since my first ever BB game in 1980 – and that was due to circumstances beyond my control. I was never a BB fan before and only went to that first game in 1980 because a co-worker who was an Arkansas alumnus goaded me into it and we went to the UH-Hog game. Even then I made it to many games when I came home for R&R. I was able to make the regional in KC in 1983 and the sub-regional in Memphis and regional in St. Louis in 1984.

Prior to that the only college game I had ever been to was LSU-Ole Miss when I was an LSU freshman in 1965-66. The game ended with neither team scoring 40 points and was really slow and boring. But that one UH game had me hooked and I just can’t stand missing a game.

2 Likes

Those were some lean years. Although there was a time when I thought UH had the top HISD player for the last three years on the roster. I want to say it was in the George Williams era (am I wrong to say Mark has a little Williams in him with the size but Mark is a better ball handler and seems to elevate more?)

Some of my favorites were Hensley (I still think about that dunk against TCU at The Hof), Truscott, Lafayette, Fluff and Chicken. But for entertainment, I liked how fast Sampson would pull Meyer when Meyer couldn’t resist launching a 3 from the top of the arc.

Good memories.

1 Like

Who cares if people are “bandwagon” fans or not.

It feels good not to be the only person excited about The University of Houston’s sports programs.

It’s nice to be here in Dallas, walking my dog in the park or at Costco, wearing my UH polo or Quarter zip and have people yelling out “Go Coogs”. Or at the mall having people pass by saying “good luck”.

Makes me proud not to be the only person at the bar cheering on the Coogs or asking for the Houston games.

6 Likes

Aw, you youngsters. I remember when the freshmen played their games separately.

I was very sad what happened to Melvin Bell. I thought he would be alright with proper care but it was not to be. At one time I thought he was as good as Elvin Hayes and they would win many games together.

UH Has had some great athletes.

2 Likes