Cougar Pride and Parking

@OldtimeCoog and @EatEmUp: For football, there is a handicap entrance between the two primary garage entrances on the ends. I mistakenly found it during the football season. Is there not one for basketball? I would contact the UH ticket office and ask. Surely there is handicapped parking somewhere near FC that you can use.

Yeah…why don’t you get ole Scooby and the gang to come bring me some assistance there Shaggs…

1 Like

For football we use the entrance near Scott and park on the ground floor handicapped parking. For basketball, we have to use the middle entrance that goes to the second floor.

I actually have a Great Dane named Scoobi but she is more likely to knock you down than assist you.

Well then you have to worry about safety for them, sure they might have automatic doors. Though with people staring at their phones while driving, does parking spots really help. Yes, I understand you will try to point out that being up high is practically immobile, I agree. Just wait till some lawsuit hits them like a train. Hah very funny.

I was routed to the far side of a parking lot near the Cage, paid $10 dollars, and believe me, if it didnt take me twenty minutes to get to the FC front door, it sure as heck scared the heck out of it. Believe me, I need zero assistance.

Patrick, you are right that there are SOME handicap spots on the first floor that are available if you enter the entrance nearest Cullen - but NOT very many, and way too few. I tried that one game - had to go upstairs, as usual.

The only handicap spots available if one enters in the center are on the upper floors.

On the other hand, almost the entire first floor is available if one enters nearest Scott Street; but they put cones at that entrance - don’t let anyone enter there!

As I have said often, the garage is run by perfect examples of The Peter Principal; they have advanced beyond their incompetence!

Very true. I ended up parking on the 3rd floor because there weren’t any spots available. Normally park on the 2nd floor.

It really doesn’t make any sense why that 1st entrance isn’t opened.

It certainly does not! Now, if anyone knows ANY.ONE who might address this problem, ANY help would be appreciated. I have complained to everyone I can think of - with NO RESULTS. Meanwhile, I continue to go to all the home games and struggle with the extra walking or climbing those darn stairs!

Well - **FINALLY **- someone seems to have paid attention. For any of you handicapped people, a lady with the UH Parking & Transportation Department called me today to say that they are going to fix the problem described in this thread.

Very soon now, any handicapped person should be able to park on the ground floor of the parking garage for our basketball games. They will then be able to avoid the long walk from the elevators or climbing the stairs to the upper floors!

4 Likes

Thank you! That’s more response than I got! I’m guessing the eastern-most entrance?

1 Like

I think it will be the entrance nearest Scott Street; that is the only one that gives access to the entire first floor. I was told that they will be giving some sort of ticket to handicapped people which will open up the entrance gate, and then the same ticket will open up the exit gate when the game is over.

I have been complaining about this problem to anyone who would listen for more than a month; finally, someone listened. I am not sure who finally responded, but I suspect the response was the result of a letter I wrote last week to Renu Khator. Regardless, I am very grateful to someone! I suspect I am not alone.

3 Likes