Country folk more depressed and neurotic, Texas study finds

3 Likes

Not a surprise whatsoever based on research I’ve conducted, too. Suicides are much higher in rural areas and in rural states. Classic, seminal works found this to be true 120+ years ago.

3 Likes

I like getting out of Houston and staying in the Angelina or up in Arkansas. I like cities, too. But being way away from Houston I’m much happier than being in it. When I retire I’m gone. Its a crime, traffic, and dozens of miles of strip centers issue for me. All of which are more depressing for me than the solitude and boredom(?) of the country. But I might be five years out there and start howling to get back to Central Market and bumper-to-bumper on the loop. Who knows.

1 Like

To be honest i prefer the boonies too — i just posted it because it was research from a paper by a UH prof.
But really it just says ‘generally speaking’.

1 Like
1 Like

My front yard… I either have to be in the sticks or downtown… Can’t do suburbia; that’s where souls go to die… :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Its awesome out there far away from strip centers and lines at Central Market. I’m thinking of retiring early to get the Hell away from the city.

1 Like

There is a difference between living in rural areas with money vs the way most that live there do.

You can’t really compare the two.

1 Like

Some folks grew up in a trailer or small house for years in a small town on acres - they’re happy adding another trailer on the family plot as they grow

Some get the hell out asap while some like to live in the burbs but get home every weekend

The older I get the more I hate city living. But we construct our lives around professions that only exist around major metro areas. In hindsight I wish I would have bought 100 acres while working in a trade: plumbing, electrical. I would have more property, more peace, and probably more money. I bought my property piecemeal and didn’t get the best deal because I wasn’t focusing. I like working in Finance and Accounting but I would never force my kids to go to college if they were more inclined to country living. I would tell them to find something you like to do and save like crazy. (And my oldest son is doing that.)

My daughter is headed to UH in Computer Engineering so she’s probably resigned to city living for at least another 10-12 years until most computer jobs are at home.

2 Likes

I happen to know quite a few computer/system/firmware engineers from UH… Happen to be one myself…

I’ll start sending you internship opportunities that you can share with her.

2 Likes

Thank you very much