Credit where credit is due

It goes back to the earliest days of the program. One of our first practices, Rice offered a scrimmage. Our coaches expected to be able to run through some plays vs some different players and looks.

Instead Rice brought referees, fans, and press in basically a preseason type game. The whole intent was to embarrass this ragtag startup program vs an established, solid team.

1 Like

I would rather play in San Marcos. I can get my picture taken in front of the Tony Levine statue on their campus.

THIS, no more Rice

I’ll go with doable. If we beat UC and look good doing it, I’ll upgrade to a “very”.

So this happened in the 40’s or earlier?

Yeah, it won’t be easy because SMU and Tulsa are both much improved, and we play at Tulsa. Have to beat UCONN, Tulsa, and Navy, and find a way to win against one of UCF, Memphis, Cincinnati, or SMU. Won’t be easy, but it’s also hard to say just how much we’ll improve.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I have no problem with UH playing Rice. Forget the past. It’s a game with minimal travel expense for our program and it gives the players and fans a rivalry game on the schedule that currently doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Guy Lewis once said, “I’d rather go to hell than lose to Rice.” I would rather not play them ever again in anything. I see no benefit from it other than cheaper travel for one game. We sure don’t make any money playing at their house. I don’t like that school or its arrogant students and alumni.

BTW, the way they did us when we needed a stadium during TDECU was not in the 50s. They were all nice to us when they wanted us to help them get into CUSA, but never reciprocate.

2 Likes

All that you mention is the stuff rivalries are made of. There has to be an element of hate. Strong word I know but its true.

Penn State scored a TD on Maryland Friday with :47 left in the game. State was up 52-0 at the time. You think there might be a little rivalry there?

So all the crap that happened in the past is good. We should play them, Whorns, and Gaggies whenever possible.

1 Like

Got to go with a BIG Frinking NO
on that one !!!

To each his own. I respect your position.

1 Like

I want to play a team that brings more to our stadium than the MOB, MOB parents, and player’s parents. Rice does not do that. Texas State brings a pretty sizable fan base with them.

2 Likes

Texas State probably has more alumni in Houston than Rice does, and a fair number of students from here where a weekend stay with the folks is cheap and easy.

1 Like

How about we sell those tickets to UH fans?