Critics predicted California would lose Silicon Valley to Texas. They were dead wrong

These numbers are aggregates. Those of us receiving better health care throughout our lives will live longer, on average. That’s what those figures show. Kids born and raised in The Woodlands will have a similar life expectancy to those in the better LA burbs.

1 Like

Don’t start bringing logical facts to the table…lol

Gas is already expensive enough in Texas. So is real estate.

I’m sure as Hell not moving to any of the parts of CA that would be desirable for me to live (like Monterrey/Carmel) given how much higher the costs of both will be there.

I can enjoy the same for FAR LESS here.

TX politics are also more to my liking.

And the TAX burden…well…I’d rather live in a state with no state income tax than one like CA which will tax my military retirement pay.

HARD PASS!!!

1 Like

We all seem to agree California has a disadvantage in affordability. Law wouldn’t pay the premium for the weather, but Johnny would if he could afford it. I’m probably in Johnny’s camp.

Back to basics: businesses need workers, capital, and in most instances, reasonable office or warehouse space. Texas offers those. Getting businesses/entrepreneurs to roll the dice they can find enough workers in Texas (or get them to move and keep them here) is the key. Time will tell. Lifestyle matters more when you are really young or old. Those mid-career will go where the opportunity and money is.

I have a philosophical problem with living in ANY state that will tax my military retirement pay.

Some states that have state income taxes at least exempt that completely. Others that have a state income tax may exempt military retirement income up to a certain amount.

But CA…no. That’s a state that taxes military retirement income completely. In other words…CA is a military retiree tax NIGHTMARE!!!

And to live in a house like the one that I now have in TX in the few parts of CA that would be desirable to me to live in (Mont/Carmel) would cost way more than I’m currently paying, and way more than I care to pay. Did I mention the $6 per gallon gasoline?

Come to NY. We will not tax you.

1 Like

I would expect that to be true; but when comparing a state of
40 million to a state of 30 million, the aggregate seems like fair way to compare. I haven’t looked very hard, but not sure if life expectancy rates on the very local level is even available. I suppose one way to look into the life expectancy factor to explain the California advantage would be to look at percentages of each state’s population at or below the poverty level threshold.

1 Like

Good. Stay in Cali.

Let people vote with their feet. America is 50 experiments in Democracy. Go where you think you will be happiest.

2 Likes

We need some of those people, especially those who know how to get a tech startup funded through several rounds, finding people and VC firms to do it, finding and retaining key employees, and how to nurture the tech and business sides to go public. Rinse and repeat.

For example, Houston is a medical hub. A medical professional can come here and know they can find new opportunities to work within their fields if they want a change. The medical talent is here, which draws investment, which makes for more opportunities. Replicate that deep talent pool for tech, and away we go (it will likely be Austin).

1 Like

One of the interesting things about the three West Coast states is that once you move outside of the large metropolitan areas, the states tend to get very conservative very quickly…probably more so than Texas. So if you can handle the different economic situation in any of those three states, you’ll probably find a political climate that is very fitting to your liking somewhere from the Coasts to the mountains to the deserts.

Of course there’s this deal killer…no TexMex worth mentioning. :smiley:

1 Like

Nah, I’m ok with them staying in Cali.

I see a lot of Cali plates in Houston over the past 5 to 10 yrs.

The “radicals” aren’t moving to Texas from CA, at least not from the left.

I was born in Texas. One of my parents was and one was not. None of my grandparents were.
I don’t have an overwhelming sense of Texas pride. Houston is a bit different, mostly because of my love and pride for UH. The city itself is like your younger sibling that you know deserves the ridicule they get but you stick up for them because it’s your sibling. But also, you beat on them too, 'cause you know they deserve it.

I travel to California as often as possible, along with other really nice places in the US, all with merits to consider relocation… None of them greater than San Diego County. What keeps me in Houston now is family and that I want my less than year old daughter to know them and vice versa. Truth is, Texas is fine. Houston is alright.
The beast you know, ya know?

5 Likes

I’ve lived in CA since 2017. We are in the Central Valley so don’t see all of costs seen on the coast (although cost of living is still higher than Houston, I’d estimate by about 10%).

We’ve loved it here. We have made great use of our time traveling to all the vacation spots and CA is a beautiful state with so much to offer. I knew about a lot of stuff in CA before moving here but didn’t really get it. And it was a easily drivable for my family.

That said, we are moving back to Texas this summer and we are excited to come home. My wife and I are both from Houston and family is there. We wouldn’t have traded the last 5 years though. It’s been awesome here.

2 Likes

The area around Dan Diego is amazing. Apt description of Houston

2 Likes

As I said though.

It’s a military retiree tax NIGHTMARE!!!

I ain’t living there no matter what.

If I lived anywhere on the West Coast, it’d be Seattle.

Washington, like Texas, has no state income tax.

You could make it…you don’t even need bathrooms…they poop in the streets in cali

Thank God