Critics predicted California would lose Silicon Valley to Texas. They were dead wrong

Whatever keeps them there I am ok with.

I guess in the broadest most "stereotypical " terms…California in full of radical liberals and Texas is full of radical conservatives.

Pick your poison…

Maybe the folks who run California are some of those who consider ex military as dangerous individuals who are a menace.

One can’t help but wonder!

I think San Francisco is beautiful, one of the prettier cities in our country. I put it up there with San Diego, Charleston, Savannah, Seattle

Sure California is anti military, just look at all the lack of military bases and military contract contractors based in California.

1 Like

Fort Ord closed.

So did the Presidio of San Francisco.

The Presidio was on some of the most expensive real estate in the US. Fort Ord was not behind by much. The 1994 Base Realignment and Closure Act shut down a lot of underused posts or just consolidated functions elsewhere.

Whether or not Texas supplants Silicon Valley will depend on growing and sustaining more IT and engineering talent. Even with remote work, face-to-face is still gonna be preferred when you throw millions of bucks into an idea that may not ever turn a profit.

At least Houston is trying. Lots of project to attract educated and skilled workers in multiple industries.

For the IT/Gig set we have the Ion District in midtown.
For the medical research field, the Med Center is building TM3.
For the Space industry, we have Houston Space Port.

1 Like

The major cities are trying for sure, and all the folks not trying screaming “don’t California Texas” Should be worried about turning their parts of Texas into West Virginia.

But tax heavy Cali including military benefits is a lot more like any major government or church… They just always need more money.

California has a crime and homeless problem. Everyone does, but their problem is very serious.

Yea the only suck thing is that UH wasn’t invited to the table in any of these projects.

I’m in Charleston right now. 1000% agree. This place is awesome. We will have to agree to disagree on SF. However, I didn’t really venture outside of downtown. It smelled bad too…and not just the weed.

1 Like

Not sure why but I feel kind of claustrophobic in San Francisco. But I love the area around Monte Rio, Healdsburg and Guerneville, along the Russian River. Stayed there a few times and followed the coast up to Point Arena. Very beautiful.
Not sure how bad the wild fires hit there though.

1 Like

The wine country is amazing, I love St Helena

San Francisco didn’t do much for me when I went there, except for the area around the Presidio. Oakland was a dump.

Definitely didn’t like Los Angeles.

BUT…

My wife and I had a blast in Monterrey; went on a whale watching boat there, and Carmel. I did the Foreign Area Officer orientation course, and one other course at the Army’s Presidio of Monterrey.

Liked San Diego.

Liked Disneyland.

Liked Irvine.

Liked Palo Alto.

Stanford University is still my all-time favorite college campus.

I have relatives that live near Yosemite and love it.

But as I said, I can’t live any place that a) fully taxes military retirement income, b) has $6 per gallon gas, and c) forces me to pay 4-5 times what I currently pay in the Houston suburbs for a comparable house.

It is what it is.

You are 100% correct.
This is what this editorial piece does not tell you:
For the first California has lost residents. I understand it is a net loss of 400,000
It is historical and hardly mentioned by the media.
The so called author fails to mention the cost of living.
Example:
You are in Long Beach next to an oil refinery and gas is $1.50 more just accross the AZ stateline…IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT.
All essentials are more expensive.
The middle class to 1% gap is like the Grand Canyon and keeps increasing.
The violence has sky rocketed in the last few years.
maxime waters that represent a poor district is never in that district and lives in a multi million Dollar mansion.
pelosi’s homes are valued in the tens of $M’s…she lives surroubded by paid security.
At the same time SanFran is being taken over by feces and people shooting heroine right by five stars hotels.
In L.A., San Fran you are being told to not lock your car or wear jewelry or even nice clothes.
The so called author is being paid by the local Sac chamber of commerce. He has to be.
Keep this in mind. California is supposed to have the 6th best economy…then why people are living?

Don’t you live in California?

1 Like

That is your best answer? You have nothing else or better to reply with?

Asking what I thought was a simple question. And no, a question is not an answer, lmao!

1 Like