Cullen Blvd Update?

They are fortunately going to make the whole campus as walkable as possible and stated that they want to increase the trees by a significant amount.

It will be nice when it is all done.

6 Likes

The UH campus isn’t that “urban”, most buildings are surrounded by large lawns.

1 Like

If you’ve ever walked through Tacoma Park you’ll know DC ain’t pedestrian friendly. But I get your point and its pretty accurate otherwise

Can’t do it if you don’t try. I think discovery green and the surrounding hotels feel extremely close with the 2 lane. And it makes it feel like a more enjoyable walk.

I’m sure UH is going to feel that way. When i walked from blue parking to AAC it did feel closer. I think it’s a reduction of a foot on each side but weirdly it feels closer than that.

1 Like

Takoma Park is closer to Silver Spring, Md than it is Downtown DC. It’s barely in DC like taking I-10 west to where you are right inside the Houston city limits from Katy as a comparison.

I’m not picking up what you are putting down.

I lived in DC for six years.

Rarely ever needed my car. Walked from GWU in foggy bottom, past the White House to city center everyday. We had a car and only used it to drive to Maryland.

DC is a very pedestrian friendly city. Walked everywhere, I mean everywhere, groceries, church, restaurants, bars, parks, cleaners, gym all within walking distance.

3 Likes

They were talking about the alternative plan to close down Cullen. We will still have access Holman from Cullen once the project is complete.

1 Like

Its because you’re not walking through bland wide concrete.

Even if you walk the same distance, walking through narrow streets with pedestrian elements- shade, landscaping, interaction with close by buildings is a far more enjoyable experience.

2 Likes

Almost 10,000 students living on or within walking distance of campus. And movement of parking to garages on outskirts of campus.

Lots more people walking around campus. Why not make it more pleasant and safe?

4 Likes

Went through Cullen @ N. McGregor for USF game and it’s a 3-way stop now — new to me.

Cullen N&S of Wheeler has lots of construction — still a lot of new pavement to be poured.

Summertime I walk from my back door to my garage and I’m sweating. Anyone who thinks they can make Houston comfortable for walking is on drugs

4 Likes

Across Scott St. they’re having the same debate about narrowing Blodgett and adding bike lanes.

(paywall)

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/lifestyle/article/Blodgett-bike-lane-divides-community-17615431.php

Three weeks ago, (Pastor) Edwards… learned that the construction is part of a plan to add a bike lane to the busy street… which will narrow Blodgett between Ennis and Scott from two lanes each way to just one… “No one has contacted me at all… If they are going to do anything that impacts businesses and residents who live on this street, we should be engaged and have a seat at the table.”

Been that way for a year or two I think?

But I definitely dislike the 3-way stop. I always liked being able to take the turn from MacGregor to Cullen at 50 mph. :wink:

2 Likes

Can you still catch air on the undulating Cullen pavement between the campus and the church?

It sucks. To make Houston more pedestrinal friendly we ned a dome and A/C over the city.

1 Like

Speaking of residential, the new Law Center building has really changed that area of campus and you notice the greenery.

2 Likes

Some seem to just live to complain.

This is a great move for the University and our and our students. I am very much looking forward to have this complain time for our next football season.

For those concerned about parking our campus has as much parking near the stadium as any on campus stadium I’ve been.

4 Likes

We like to complain ! I’m guilty too at times, but this Cullen Blvd redesign is a positive step
forward. I guess technically it’s no longer a boulevard ? Gonna take some time for me to
unlearn that :grinning:

But back to the complaining :wink: , if we could start from scratch, I would have rotated
the stadium garage 90 degrees and moved it back to border along Scott street.
This would have created more open interior campus space and provided a better
buffer from the city noise.

2 Likes

If we could start from scratch Houston would’ve bought a ton more land surrounding campus. North of campus and south of campus for sure.

Blue Ribbon used to have its processing operation south of campus. There was a pack of dogs who hung out there and would chase me when I biked by.

The smell was special.

4 Likes