Cullen Blvd Update?

Anyone have an update on the BLVD construction? Should be about finished, yeah? Haven’t been over there since maybe midway through last season.

Seems to be finished to fertitta center

1 Like

They’re reducing it from 4 lanes to 2. What “urban planning“ savant came up with that “idea”?

They want it more pedestrian friendly and more like a residential school vs a busy blvd which is the goal. Lsu doesn’t have a big blvd running thru neither A&M so it’s the right move.

5 Likes

It’s an attempt to make the campus more
pedestrian oriented, reduce the noise and pollution of having a 4 lane major thoroughfare
thru the heart of the campus. Not a bad idea, I just wish they would have gone with a previous generation master plan that had Cullen being closed off completely. The down side it makes getting to school events at FC or TDECU more difficult because you only have Scott street to gain entrance into Stadium Garage. And Scott is saddled with the lite rail to make it even more
challenging.

6 Likes

Should be all done by July 2023 per this

In time for big12 visitors

Exactly. Idiots

2 Likes

Actually, that approach is common among urban planners.

It slows down traffic, makes the place more urban and pedestrian friendly.

Think of City Centre vs Westheimer in Uptown

But UT does.

We’re trying to be more residential so we need all the help we can get.

But not urban.

Having a 4 lane blvd running thru campus is negative in regards to our goals. Lsu is urban and no 4 lanes running thru. UH is trying to make it to where you know your on campus

Houston, with 90/90 weather 7+ months a year will never be a “pedestrian “ city, I don’t care how much the idiots f up our roads. That pipe dream ain’t never going to happen. Anyone who wants to live that fantasy can move to an existing pedestrian friendly nirvana like NYC or DC.

The reality of this idiocy is that a minimum 45 minute trip across town has become 75 to 90 minutes depending on how quick I can get out of the garage. Makes me think twice about filling my seats on a week night. Of course that never crossed the “minds” of the dimwits who are in charge.

2 Likes

Hmmmmmmmm. The freeway exit signs and surrounding campus buildings and stadia (with UH plastered all over them) might be a clue.

1 Like

Yep but they want the campus more residential looking so it has a different feel which is true and what they said. Scott and wheeler will be the same so it’s not a big deal bc for football they block it off by the stadium

2 Likes

I would rather they just close Cullen off completely. No road.

4 Likes

Houston actually started out as a very pedestrian city. Go back and look at the old photos of downtown near the turn of the century or even pre WWII.

Also, unshaded wide stretches of concrete increase the temperature. The concrete acts as a heat sink.

Walk in a sunny street and then walk on grass and you instantly feel the difference in the temperature reflecting from the ground surface.

4 Likes

If your goal is to convince me that Houston’s hot season climate can be bearable by walking in the grass, save your breath.

Cullen as a 2 lane road is just plain STOOOPID.

That’s all I have to say on this topic.

1 Like

Yes…because nobody walks around hot humid pedestrian cities in Italy and Spain, in the middle of Summer.

Pedestrian cities make things more comfortable…not less.

Shade…narrower streets…less heat sinks improve comfort.

Human scaled streets, with shade, landscape and interaction with the buildings help to create a more desirable pedestrian environment.

You may not like it but you are in the minority.

7 Likes