Daily Cougar: Pezman on why Whiting is getting a new contract

No one is complaining about him saying anything about that.

This statement says it all: “If you step back and look at it, Todd does everything right,” Pezman said. “He raises money. Our kids are excellent ambassadors of the program academically and socially.”

Even so, this article has to be embarrassing for CTW. I hope he turns it around soon.

4 Likes

Is it even worth comparing to those two schools when those two are handed every resource that they have?

Lol
You’ve already accepted the premise that a guy that just spent 4 years getting his azz kicked by the AAC just needs more money and three years to win in the B12.

4 Likes

Why do people pretend like we’ve never won in an effort to rationalize mediocrity?

We had the same relative budget back when we were making the tournament with this head coach.

What’s being foisted on us here is the idea that what we really need is to pay even bigger bucks to an assistant coach who will do the head coach’s job, which is asinine. Pay THAT guy to be the head coach and let the dead weight go do what he’s good at, which is not coaching baseball.

6 Likes

You all would be surprised though when it comes to sports like baseball, etc how little involved upper administrators are and even have knowledge of the sport so AD’s can wield more power as a result and convince folks what they want them to hear

This situation is just that

2 Likes

We know Todd struggles to recruit Houston and can’t make the tourney. It doesn’t make him a bad guy or a terrible coach. From what I hear he’s a good guy. And from what I’ve seen he’s an average coach.

But when an AD spins like this in front of the season ticket holders its a crime. There’s so much bull#% in his interview I don’t know which angle is worse.

1 Like

Cincinnati and UCF both have new coaches heading into the Big 12.

2 Likes

n Whitting’s case, Pezman pointed to the team’s difficulty in finding the right coaching staff after the departure of assistants Frank Anderson and Trip Couch in 2017 as a reason to keep Whitting for another three years. Just this offseason, Whitting hired former Georgia pitching coach Sean Kenny to help improve a pitching staff that ranked 177th in the nation in earned run average in 2023 (6.77).

“I never felt like we, myself as administration were ever to give him enough resources to replace his assistants,” Pezman said. “We gave Todd the money to go out and get a pitching coach that he feels like can make a difference.”

from the article

WhiteHusky drops an eleven mega-ton bunker buster on the thread. They are playing to win. Pez is playing to protect. Strength vs Weakness.

Lets see which program goes deep in the tourney first.

Yeah, he’s finally given the resources and hires what seems like a really weak hire. Either way, he has the resources now per Pez so no excuses (not that I ever bought them).

I am a bit confused how he managed to hire well with Couch and Anderson without having enough resources. Same goes for Noble when he was successful.

5 Likes

Coaches are smart too - lol - if they can find a way to lay BS on someone and they believe it it’s downhill from there cause every move is manipulated from that point

2 Likes

It’s confusing because it’s nonsense.

1 Like

I only get emotional about three UH sports: FB, BB, and baseball. If Pez had just said, “Its my decision. I work for Renu. If she has a problem she’ll tell me. I want you to buy tickets but if you don’t I understand”

I would have respected that, although not agreed with the decision. But that’s only about 50% of what was said. Its the other 50% that’s frustrating. Oh well, a lot of good programs coming to Schroeder next season. Todd is going to be tested. I and my family will make as many games as possible.

But why give him a 3-year extension?

Now when he fails again next season, we’re stuck with the contract as a reason for not getting rid of him. I don’t believe lack of ability to recruit because of the length of his contract is a valid excuse for a “two to three” year contract.

What is a “two to three” year contract. Is that Pez’s admission that he’s willing to let Whitting go after 2 years if we don’t see improvement?

Cut our losses, give Whitting a fund raising job and a participation trophy.

3 Likes

Who knows, man. Who knows? It just seems like Pezman is setting up this construct where he doesn’t have to make hard decisions for a long time.

“Remember! Remember?!? We all agreed we needed 2-3 years in the B12 just to see! Remember?! We agreed!”

That’s what it sounds like is being constructed. It started with Dana floating this, “can you give me another four years because of
you know
the B12 and all.”

Gus Malzhan has to be laughing his a—- off. You know that guy has his sights set on another SEC job. And winning the B12 is how he’s gonna do it. That’s how every coach in every sport should approach it.

2 Likes

I haven’t been keeping up, but don’t we have a really good recruiting class to open the B12?

I think they have to do that for recruiting purposes. I would bet the buyout is low though. Regardless, it’s a poor decision and Yesman gave a really bad response to the question. He should be on the hot seat.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s one thing to make the decision to extend, which is clearly his job. But his stated reasoning for making that decision tells me that his head is definitely not in the right place.

3 Likes