Dana doesn’t really believe in Tune

Fair, but why change his whole offensive philosophy for Tune. This isn’t creative air raid open space offense. It’s simple a predictable

I don’t understand is coach telling tune not to run or is that Tunes decision. He is fast and a good runner. He is absolutely horrible at reading the read option. There were times this year where I was like if you kept that u might have ran for 25+ yards. There was also times like against BYU where he could run right up the middle for a first down and wouldn’t. We have seen what he can do with his legs like vs Tulane and Memphis last year, I simply don’t understand why he doesn’t run more. It would help limit turnovers and just produce more positive plays. Idk if it’s the coaching or Tune deciding not to. But it’s college football man, that’s what QBs do

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. .He is a forceful and strong runner, and faster than you might think. .We should exploit it more next year… more positive plays, as you say…

2 Likes

Man there is so much truth in this thread. We will never have a top OL and we don’t need one to be relevant on the national level. Time and time again we have proven that an innovative offense with a playmaking QB that is either a phenomenal athlete or has the “it” factor (decent wheels, good accuracy, feel the pressure, penchant for TDs over turnovers) will make us a VERY relevant team and can cover up multiple issues on the team including a relatively weak OL. I don’t buy what DH is supposedly trying to do. If we are waiting on our OL to be studs to support a pocket passer then name the ones we know about on the team…or are we recruiting them in 2022 to finally be good in 2025 as upper classmen? I feel like there is insanity and excuses all around me. I’m frustrated as heck with what I’m seeing. There is a difference between coaching stability, and coaching philosophy. Do people realize this? We can go stable with a guy like DH but he needs to do the things that can make UH successful and waiting for theoretical all conference or better linemen to fall from the sky and quadrupling down on an underperforming QB sure as heck ain’t a plan for success anywhere.

2 Likes

I think coach is supportive of Tune running a little bit. I forget which game where he ran very well. After the game CDH said he wished Tune did more of that the prior week.

He didn’t want Keenum running either. Helps develop QB skills and keeps them healthy

3 Likes

I agree that there are yards for him to pick up. I think part of it’s Dana wanting to keep him healthy. Like Coach V noted, Case ran less under Dana. As a part time QB under Art he ran for over 400 yards as a RS freshman. The next two years under Dana he ran for 220 then 150.

Most of his other QBs haven’t run much either (Weeden, Smith, Trickett, Grier). Skyler Howard is the semi-exception running for 400/500 yards a season. Tune’s rushing yds this year and last would be right around that if you extrapolate to a full 13 game season. King ran for over 300 yards in 4 games with Dana though. He also threw the ball worse than he did before or after Dana.