Deja Vu

N/m

You’re few hrs late with that. Already posted.

He gone!

Absolutely right it is a free economy but there should also be rules and contracts should be held in regard so as not to screw over the kids on the field. This doesn’t limit a Tom Herman from taking the Texas job immediately after the season concludes, it just prevents tampering with coaches as the NCAA had rules on tampering with recruits. Hey, season is done, go interview to your hearts content. Remember that the majority of these coaches work for the state, not private enterprise.

Two games into the season and we are saying UC might be screwed by USC. That shouldn’t be allowed to happen until after the season is concluded. No one wins by this right now because Fickell is not going to coach USC tomorrow and install his offense defense and pull his assistants over mid season. There is no reason they cannot wait until after the season concludes.

2 Likes

I totally agree I just don’t see anyway to implement and enforce a rule like that.

There are few morals in big time college sports. Loyalty is a thing of the past in most cases. The new up and coming supposedly successful coaches say they love the players, but typically love the money and themselves more.

Most of them quickly understand the Peter Principle, but leave with a lot of money anyway !

See, Sumlin, Herman, Frost and the Memphis coach currently at FSU, the Miami coach, the one who was just fired at S Carolina
 and on and on.

1 Like

Its like a lottery for CEOs. Have a good year and you’re in the hopper to run Eli Lily or Amazon.

Personally I’d stay where I was successful and knew my area at my company. You get rich, retire happy, and leave a legacy.

Its not so much money as greed. They know the chances of repeating their success are low but they’re greedy as Hell.

3 Likes

Pear, I don’t think changing staffs mid season is a good idea for anyone. I would expect the interim HC to finish out the USC season and then Fickle could come in and clean house. I would hope Fickell has more class than to leave Cincy mid season.

As for Fickell not talking to anyone, we know that’s what his agent is for. And we know that coaches can be really fickle.

USC won’t want him when Cincy loses to UH in the AAC Championship game at TDECU! Who’s with me?

4 Likes

By that time the deal will have already been done.

The problem is that even if you implement a plan where the NCAA says you or your representatives cannot be in contact with others institutions, it won’t stop the media from speculating. That’s just as bad. Fickell can say he has no interest in the job and mean it. But it still won’t end the speculation in certain circles.

We’ve seen coaches swear to whatever that they have absolutely no interest in a job and turn around and take it.

I would like to see a rule applied that states you cannot interview or even reach out to a coach during the season. What Briles, Sumlin and Herman did and the way they did it was reprehensible and we suffered as a result

1 Like

Agree, you cannot control the media and speculation. But you can control the brokers and prevent interference during a season.

Remember how hard Herman was coaching against Louisville, Oklahoma, and Florida State because he was trying out for UT? Remember how Briles forgot football entirely against Tulsa when UH was in contention for winning division again because he was already the BU coach?

My thought would be that it would prevent the downside and force the upside. They may know they have a shot at a Texas, USC, or Alabama. But if Fickle knows this is his tryout for USC, I bet UC has one tremendous season of football this year. Considering the millions of dollars of public money that pays these guys salaries, that is not an unfair ask for state universities.

Just my opinion

And we will have won because Cincy players were distracted all week.

1 Like

Not to worry, Fickel gets his career advice from Todd Graham.

:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Knowing the past about schools like USC, they will use their influence to pluck away or purge away another schools successful coaching program
 so I’d expect USC to go after another west coast area football program like Kyle Wittingham, but his age might be in question
 I doubt USC would want to play Utah at anytime.

Didn’t stop A&M after Sumlin lost to Southern Miss

1 Like