D'Eriq King

Yes D’Eriq was great. Too bad we don’t have the defense to go with that high powered offense.

2 Likes

I really like King as well. A definite bright spot in an otherwise dreary performance.

So much this! We actually have the athletes this year to beat defenses straight up. We don’t have to rush to the line to prevent them from subbing. Stick with the no huddle, but let’s get set up, read what the defense is giving and run a play based on that. I just don’t think rushing the next play gives us any discernible advantage unless the defense isn’t set or someone is completely uncovered.

2 Likes

Absolutely this.

https://twitter.com/swcroundup/status/1044243401733025793

1 Like

Geez! It feels like D’Eriq has thrown a ton of passes this year, and he’s getting blown out of the water by 2 other QBs in Texas. Of course, King only got to play 1 half this week.

1 Like

King still has the most TD’s. I would take that stat over most others.

2 Likes

I would say 200 of Bowmans yards were because of missed tackles by us

2 Likes

Absolutely. 5 more TDs on 45 and 28 fewer attempts respectively is pretty awesome. And that doesn’t include the 5 rushing TDs he also has (Bowman has none and Fine has 2). If DK keeps throwing a TD pass every 8.9 attempts, whoa boy!

If I may ponder the possibilities for a moment, in 4 games played this year (note he played less than full games in 2 of our 4 games this year), he’s averaging 3.75 passing TDs per game so far. If he were to average 3 per game the rest of the way (3 is the fewest he’s thrown in a game this year) and we play 13 or 14 games, that will be 42 or 45 passing TDs respectively. Bump the average up to 3.5 TDs per game, he throws for 46 or 50 respectively. The crazy thing is, the more competitive the game is, the more likely he is to throw more TDs because (a) he will play more, and (b) we’ll need to score quickly. The most competitive game we’ve played this year he threw 5 TDs and ran for 1. I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see him throw 50+ TDs this year while running for another 10 - 15. Fingers crossed for good weather when we play in Annapolis.

For perspective, the all time single season total TD record for UH is 55 by David Klingler in 1990 (he had 54 passing and 1 rushing that year). Here’s the rest of the top 10:

Conclusion: D’Eriq King is about to become UH’s all time single season total TD leader. Buckle up my friends. It’s going to be a fun ride! And if we can figure out how to keep Briles for one more year, the only graduating receiver we have is Raelon Singleton. Let’s kick off the DK 2019 Heisman campaign now!

2 Likes

While I suggested that the TD stat is one of the most important I think you need to tap the brakes on the Heisman / All Time UH TD record.
Your theory makes it sound like the harder the game or the further behind we are the better it is for King and his chances to obtain the record and that’s just not true.
Great thought and great theory but I will take the under on that bet.

Fair enough. We can revisit at the end of the year.

It’s a deal.

https://twitter.com/American_FB/status/1044666807171383296

He has not thrown as many passes; but he leads in yards/attempt and TD’s.

Bowman, TT: 179 attempts, 129 completions, 1557 yards, 10 TD’s, 2 ints, 8.698 ypa
M. Fine, UNT: 162 attempts, 105 completions, 1328 yards, 10 TD’s, 1 ints, 8.198 ypa
D. King, UH: 134 attempts, 84 completions, 1197 yards, 15 TD’s, 1 ints, 8.933 ypa

1 Like

Man, I love this offense! Just think what his numbers would be without all the deep ball drops we’ve had this year.

7 Likes

In 11 games… so 5 per game vs 4.2 or less. Its no wonder season and career records get broken

Ahh, didn’t realize that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thats what makes some of the old school stats look so pitiful. Ignoring the no huddle offense and passing offense impact, look at someone like Elmo Wright. Freshmen couldn’t play varsity so only 3 years of stats.
10 game schedules for 2 of his 3 seasons.
No championship games
Bowl stats didn’t count then

So he had a max possibility of stats in 31 games. Not counting playoffs, max possible now is 56. Career records should get blown out. Amazing that Elmo is still #4 in career receiving at UH

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/swcroundup/status/1045883798888566784

https://twitter.com/American_FB/status/1047566958588284929

1 Like