Did this team exceed your expectations

With all the talk of who needs to transfer out, how bad our bigs are. Just wondering which of you will admit this roster blew away your expectations?
We did pretty good for a team without a player over 6’8. We did pretty good without an iso scorer. We did pretty good without any 5 stars. We did pretty good with Ramon Walker and Mylik Wilson.

6 Likes

We moved to the Big 12
We definitively showed we could compete in the Big 12
We won the Big 12 regular season title
We got a 1 seed in the tournament

For what was supposed to be a transition year and maybe a rough one, that’s absolutely smashing expectations.

26 Likes

Exceeded my expectations for the Big 12 even though it was probably a little overrated this year and didn’t really surprise me much in the tourney good year

1 Like

Put me in the expectations exceeded category, but never forget we had a Shead. For our team he was better than any 5*, 6’8"+, or iso scorer would have been. His presence made all the individual parts work at maximal efficiency.

Next year we probably don’t have a Shead.

2 Likes

Definitely exceeded. We lost two 1st rounders and a key piece.

4 Likes

exceeded - we won the big 12 and made the sweet 16 - more banners to hang.

if we had zero injuries and got to play with our full roster, I have no doubt we win the Big12 Tournament and are still playing in the NCAA.

13 Likes

Sampson’s teams always exceed my expectations. Absolutely legendary.

17 Likes

We had a great year but the expectation, at this stage in our revival, is a Championship or bust.

We underachieved.

Yes, it is a lofty expectation but its a complement that we are in Astros like Championship or Bust golden era.

We need to build more depth and find a way to FINISH this thing!

5 Likes

I loved the B12 battles and bragging rights from beating our in state enemies. I enjoyed this season and love this year’s team. Wish we were still playing but it was a blast the ENTIRE season for me.

11 Likes

I don’t think we underachieved. I don’t understand that. But I never thought the expectation of a national championship should have been put on this team.

11 Likes

Anything less than a Final Four is underachieving. Expectations should be raised by now. But I will honestly say that I didn’t expect this team to make a deep run this year. On paper, they were not a better team than our 2022 or 2023 teams coming into the season. After seeing how well they played in conference play, of course my expectations became much higher…

3 Likes

We HAD the Big 12 POY and a finalist for College Basketball POY plus we paid to bring Cryer over, with NC experience

A championship from here moving forward is the ONLY expectation to gauge Success/Failure

WE FAILED!

Injuries and depth are given obstacles. …every team deals wirh them

1 Like

Yes in more then one ways. Even with the full team at the start of the season, we were going to be 3rd on 2nd at best in the big 12 conference. We then lost folks and then our expectation should have been diminished but we ended up winning Big 12 regular season with only 3 losses That was amazing. Of course now with a higher expectation we wanted to go to final four but the loss of our mvp curtailed that.

2 Likes

Using that logic you should be CEO of your company and breaking the all-time high in stock performance. I’m assuming you’ve had more than four years on the job.

6 Likes

6 Likes

After Sasser and Jarace left I didn’t see us getting another 1 seed this year

As for the tourney, hopefully we get better injury luck next year

Overall better than expected

9 Likes

Regular season: Very much exceeded expectations. Great season

Post Season: Met expectations if not a little falling short. I always expect the sweet 16 under Sampson. Then just luck and matchups come into play where it’s a bit out of the team’s and coaches control.

4 Likes

It depends on the starting point. End of last year? Definitely. Beginning of year? About what I expected.

Before injuries after season got going? Negative. But no one can sustain what we did this year and get further than the sweet sixteen. I don’t care who you are.

3 Likes

if your expectations in any sport is to win the playoff/tournament championship you will always be disappointed.

9 Likes

Hard to say. I expected Elite 8 or more which I’m confident we would have beat Duke with Shead all game. I give the season an A but it ended with another ‘coulda woulda shoulda’ in the post season.

4 Likes