Digital Currency Is It Coming? Is it a Threat?

Just finished reading the Executive Order from 2022. Section 4 is troubling

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/executive-order-14067-ensuring-responsible-development-digital-assets

What scares you about centralized digital currency?

I keep seeing a fear of the government tracking our spending.

Don’t we gladly give away our right to be tracked from cell usage to aps, if there is a term of agreements on a platform we want, we click it and we just give away rights to privacy?

2 Likes

If nothing has happened in the two years since, we are probably ok.

Not that I’m worried about digital currency.

Crypto is a lost cause unless it’s centralized, which is the exact opposite reason it was created in the first place.

The entire hypetrain behind digital currency was to create a currency that wasn’t controlled by a centralized agency/government, and yet, here we are, where we still have yet to see a digitial currency that has value separate of the US Dollar

That being said, I think Blockchain technology is a breakthrough

Not just that but the cryptocurrency is no more secure than cash and has no FDIC insurance for when stolen.

Not to mention, we all use debit cards continually. Not anonymous cash.

That reminds me, I was going to get some cash earlier but forgot.

1 Like

I did a quick scan thru sec 4 and didn’t see anything of concern to me. What in particular concerns
you in that section and why ?

Overall I’d like to see digital currency replace the physical fiat currency and representative currency
(checks) too. Get away from the physical stuff that requires a lot of effort to manufacture, maintain, and administer. And is prone to counterfeiting and theft and money laundering and 

And I’d add , all those bills in your wallet today , have serial numbers , so in theory , every deal you make today could be traced. It’s just so impractical to do and nobody really cares.

Edit - The only qualms I have about this EO is that this shouldn’t be done via an EO and
should be legislation. But with the state of our broken government, important things don’t get done.
If this is political , I’ll just stop there, ban me, or whatever.