Disneyworld at 50

Fifty years ago today, the world got a little smaller when the Magic Kingdom first opened at Disney World in Florida. Here are three interesting stats:

1. Admission in 1971 was $3.50 for adults and $1 for children. It’s $109 now.
  2. The FAA has designated Disney World a “no-fly zone,” a level of security typically afforded to places like the White House and NASA’s Kennedy Space Center.
  3. Disney’s bus fleet is the third largest fleet of any Florida transportation system.
1 Like

Wife and I went to Disneyworld for our honeymoon in 1975.

1 Like

It cost $109 maybe on weekdays in a slow period. Tickets run up to $160 now.

1 Like

Back then you had to pay for the individual rides. So the $3.50 was misleading. But at $160, its still a bargain.

1 Like

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten

3 Likes

We need a theme park here again. Grand Theme Texas has the water park and they are supposed to eventually build a theme park 10 miles from Kingwood in porter ,tx and they have 600 acres they bought but covid prob slowed it down. They built the water park, race track for go carts and 1 hotel. It’s eventually supposed to be a Texas theme park with an old western town, shows and roller coasters better than astroworld with plenty of room to grow if they ever build the theme park.

Or search grand Grand Texas eyes 5-year amusement park plan after soft opening at Big Rivers concludes

Westworld?

1 Like

It’s up 59 , 10 miles from kingwood in porter ,tx and they bought 600 acres but the water park, go cart track, hotel and rv lot is up and running. The plan is to build a better astroworld but it might take a while. I hope it happens bc we need a theme park here. We needed 3 things to improve our city which are a beach which we have in Galveston, a local p5 team which we now have and a great theme park which is the last piece of the puzzle.

They have the biggest lazy river in Texas which I’ve been on and a petting zoo and alligators and a huge lake for kids along with a huge wave pool.

Agree. We will be at Disneyland at the end of the month. It’s expensive but you get what you pay for!

1 Like

Parents surprised us in with a trip there in 1974. Stayed at the Contemporary. Space Mountain was under construction and the Haunted Mansion scared the crap out of me. I remember everything about that trip. Took the twins in 2004 and stayed at the Old Key West Resort. Brought back every amazing memory!

1 Like

Yeah, unless you are a Florida resident and can qualify for the discount, a family of four ain’t getting out of Orlando for less than $2,500 for a week of the Magic Kingdom!