Economic Question

I’m drawing a blank on this and hopefully I can get an answer without a long political thread. Unemployment rate is based on the number of people looking for work. What is the statistic or rates called for jobs that can’t be filled?

There is just a job openings number. Currently twice as many job openings as there are unemployed people.

I read no one wants to work or mainly at the lower wage scale bc of gas prices and inflation. Chick f lay is offering $17 per hour and many others are at $15 per hr but struggling for workers. It’s good for workers for a change to have the upper hand.

How does that make sense?

Covid did kill a lot of people who were working age too. Plus the policies related to work visas during covid has us about 1.5 million workers short of where we would have been. Then baby boomers retiring and more stay at home parents being created because of covid. When you lose 2-3 million from the workforce, it will make it hard to find workers and will naturally increase wages.

Our In-and-Out burger posts job openings at $17 to $19 per hour.

The sign is always up.

I still think it’s good for workers to finally have the upper hand. Maybe they will stop firing workers for every little thing. I haven’t gotten a raise in 4 yrs but I’m happy the bottom people can make more. I still go to fast food places and if they pay them more, I’m ok with it and the prices.

Even in Texas, In-N-Out has been paying $15+ for employees. Still have the cheapest burgers too. Proves if you run your business well you can pay employees a decent wage and still make good profit.

1 Like

when i worked at sonic, the most expensive item on the menu cost the store $0.56 and sold for $3.90

Usually restraunts shoot for food costs of no more than 25%

Why do you think most restaurants fail within one year?
The margins are minuscule. The last two years have been devastating to the restaurant industry.
All of this is going to lead to more fast food joints with automation.
Do we want this? Heck no.
Patrons income can only stretch so far. This is not sustainable for food and bev industry.
Furthering these jobs were never intended to be careers.
Watch out when irs agents start picking at the local pizza joint. d.c. is not telling you this but this is what it is all about.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I posted an eye opening experience.
My beer was more exkensive than my friend’s gin or vodka drink (can’t remember)
We asked the waitress why?
She responded that with the minimum wage hike the pub’s owner had to raise beer prices vs liquor.
She went on to explain that she was now making more as a waitress vs her hygienist job.
How is that going to translate long term to our trade and more common jobs?

That doesn’t make sense to me. Why would they raise beer prices and not liquor?

1 Like

They sell more beer?

They won’t for long after charging as much as they do for liquor.

thats because most people who open restaurants have no clue what their doing
and OMG an industry totally reliant on discretionary income gets hit hard during a pandemic, who’d thunk?

You missed the point or I should have pointed out that this discussion took place in 2016. The minimum wage has grown/exploded since.

It doesn’t matter when it took place or how much min wage has increased since. Why does her statement make sense?

They go in undercapitalized. If they don’t create volume in 6 months, they crater

4 Likes