Election campaign reform

I know what I see and hear.
I still believe in:
A woman’s right to chose
Equal pay
Getting big corporate $ out of politics
Prohibiting Congressmen from trading securities while they are in office and for 2 years after they leave
A strong military
Increasing taxes on the wealthy which includes getting rid of all the loopholes special interests have managed to commingle in our regulations over the past decades.
Just because I find some of the Democrats agenda wrong and dangerous doesn’t mean I classify myself as a Republican. Rather I am a skeptical Independent who wonders where all our true moderate leaders have gone

2 Likes

I like that.
Reading your other post made me remember the term "wedge issues’. I haven’t seen that term in awhile but it was always a effective way to get people afraid of the Dems on issues that really aren’t the pressing matters of government.

1 Like

An immigrant is a person that has come to this country legally. I think you mean “illegal-immigrants” here ? An immigrant has a path to citizenship , yes ?

As to how legal immigrants may vote, I really have no information. I think the right fears they ( assume we are talking latin or hispanic immigrants. ) will only vote blue. And yet others have pointed out values wise (family, abortion, religion) , this group may align with supposedly republican positions.

CRT is not now , or has ever been, taught to children in elementary , middle, or high school.
That’s the dummying down of real CRT by a certain party to raise fear. Show me proof of where
critical race theory is being taught. We’ve had several educators in this forum that have confirmed
it’s not taught.

1 Like

I’m still waiting on the answer to my post about how do you teach all of our children the poor and awful racial history of our country? Like a true and enlightened answer?

1 Like

For what it is worth I lived through part of our racial history and need no education about it. I saw the marches and the murders in the 1950’s and1960’s.

I was at Oxford, Miss. when the first-ever Black player(Warren McVea) set foot on the Ole Miss field.

Forward to today. My Grandchildren have attended integrated schools. One of my Grandsons has aBlack classmate as his best friend.

When I tell them about our racial past they do not believe me.At first they think I am kidding, then they lose interest and move along. If their Books were loaded with racial history they wouldn’t put much interest into such reading and would quickly turn to other topics.

That is the actual progress we have made in 60 years. Young people find it almost unbelievable and go on. I attended a segregated school system. Each one of my 6 Grandchildren has attended an integrated school, has had one or more Black friends, and have brought them home after school as part of just another routine day.

CRT and-other anti-racism political aims are very yesterday and will gain no adherents from young voters. The youngsters have little idea why it would be important. Their friends and cell phones are important.

Other words ignore our racial history Let’s all pretend nothing happened. Because it would make our children’s feel uncomfortable and injure their self esteem, because the truth is too much for them too handle about it’s racial past and continuing problems. Where a white cop who feels he had license to snuff out a man’s life ( who happens to be black) on the street by kneeling on his neck , when he is begging for his life saying he can’t breath. Am I getting this right? America been this loving land of brother hood towards his fellowman all walking shoulder to shoulder in all loving embrace. When you have folks just a few years ago saying “Jews will not replace us”, with tiki torches looking like neo- Nazis, from some distant German fascist past. Yes let’s all pretend we live in a utopian racial.paradise. I get it. Good solution.:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Self introspection and talking about our mistakes are healthy things.

Saying that the United States and our institutions are inherently racist is wrong and breeds a thought process of why try to succeed because the system is rigged. Or it breeds the thought process that everything in the US should be torn down. Both thought processes are very much off base.

The US is the greatest country in the history of the world and it provides the greatest opportunity for everyone.

1 Like

Shocking if true. When do you purport this came to be in your opinion?

What loopholes are we talking about. Interested to know.

If it weren’t true we wouldn’t be the leading country in the world for immigration. People flock to the United States both legally and illegally. Why? Because of the opportunity.

You don’t see large numbers of people leaving the United States to go to other countries. If there were other countries providing better opportunities, people would leave.

We are the greatest country in the world.

2 Likes

There was an attempted coup in US on January 6th. There was an attempt to snuff out the line of succession in congress that day. Had it not been for those police officers at the capital , there would not have been an inauguration and the US government would have been overthrown.

2 Likes

Sounds about right…but then consider this.

Net migration per
1,000 inhabitants
5 year period (2007–2012)

23x12 Australia 22,728,254 1,023,107 45.01

23x14 Germany 80,425,823 1,249,998 15.54

23x12 United States 314,102,623 5,007,887 15.94

Sometimes we have to take off our red white and blue glasses. Many countries had a higher rate
on net immigration.

2 Likes

We’ve always had net positive immigration since the inception of this country. More people came here than left in 2021. Same as in 1921 and 1821. Would you have said that the US gave the “greatest opportunity for everyone” in 100 years ago during American apartheid? 200 years ago during American slavery? No, of course not. People were still coming here though. We have a tremendous amount of opportunity. A perk of being top dog economically. That doesn’t mean that opportunity isn’t rationed, gate-kept and inequitably distributed by a variety of systems and factors, including race.

When you say that acknowledging and teaching that our country and institutions produce inequitable outcomes breeds a nihilist thought process this is like saying “my doctor made me depressed because he told me I have cancer”, instead of the realizing it’s the cancer itself that’s the issue. What makes people give up trying to succeed or want to tear things down are those barriers that inequitably distribute opportunity. And for some folks in this country it starts with day one.

Growing up, getting told of the challenges I would face never made me feel that I couldn’t succeed. It didn’t make me want to tear it all down. It prepared me to persevere through those challenges in spite of discrimination I could face. It taught me that something better could be fought for and won through pernicious struggle not only for myself but for others because my forbearers have done the same. You don’t achieve such resolve by teaching that everything is hunky dory or by eliding the truth about the dark underbelly of this country’s history and how it impacts the present. But then again, I’m the son of a HBCU history professor, who was born and raised in segregated Houston, and a Nigerian immigrant pharmacist who were both determined to not let their son go into the greater world blind or naïve nor without the knowledge and tools to succeed.

5 Likes

I still say that we’re the best country because we are the only country in the world where the poor people are FAT!!!

Just sayin’!

Some countries may have a higher net immigration rate, but NO country comes close to having the USA’s immigration VOLUME.

If the USA wasn’t such a great country, then presumably there wouldn’t be so many more people wanting to move here than either elsewhere, or vice-versa.

Take a look at the USA, and then take a look at pretty much any other country.

Find out which number is greater, the number of people immigrating from (country of your choice) to the USA, or the number of people immigrating from the USA to (same country of your choice).

In pretty much every case, you’ll discover that more people are immigrating from that country to the USA each year than vice-versa.

That’s true of Canada (which many on the American Left offer up as a model for the USA to follow).

And it’s also true of just about every European country.

It is what it is.

If those other countries were better, if people were happier there (I’ve heard people make that claim as well), and/or if those other countries provided more/better opportunities to a greater number of people, then why are people leaving those countries for the USA far more often than they are leaving the USA for those countries?

Again…just sayin’!

1 Like

I find that to be an unconvincing argument. If the topic is countries, they come in various sizes
in terms of land area and population. Therefore a reasonable way to compare vastly different objects is net per population. In such an analysis the US is not tops based upon the data presented. It is what it is.

23x12 Canada 34,751,476 1,175,863 33.84

23x12 United States 314,102,623 5,007,887 15.94

Nothing to get worked up over; facts are facts.

1 Like

Again though, more people move annually from Canada to the USA than vice-versa.

Just the facts!

And again……just sayin’!

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t I care to continue this discussion if you can’t accept a reasonable and widely accepted methodology for comparing countries.

I think that my own methodology is pretty convincing personally.

If Canada were a better country than the USA, then why don’t more people move from the USA to Canada annually? Why is the OPPOSITE true?

Why is the immigration demand from Canada to the USA higher than vice-versa?

I’d like for you to explain that one to me if you could.