End Of The Freshman Guard Experiment?

Yup. Agreed on the last paragraph. Gotta find a way to get our guards into the game as much as we can.

Grimes starts next season and becomes our Star Player

2 Likes

If Powell is good enough wouldnā€™t mind seeing more 4 guard lineups with him as the big next year. Sasser, Mills, Grimes, Hinton, Powell lineup for a few minutes. You could even substitute Mark for one if he is playing well enough.

Grimes and Jarreau are both going to go pro.

There will be plenty of minutes available for the new guys (Tyson, Mark, Shead)

I guess the consensus is that Jarreau will be leaving. I like to be optimistic in all things Coog but I am not totally sure he will leave. Weā€™re likely to have a lot of nice things next year.

I think Gresham and White start. Powell will get some minutes, but we will have to wait to see how many. Gorham and Roberts back up White, Powell backs up Gresham.

As to the guards/ wingsā€¦ Hinton, Grimes and Mills with Sasser and the 2 freshmen off the bench along with the Idaho transfer (I forget his name). obviously the guard situation will be fluid with so many options.

I am thinking Jarreaux goes pro.

Alley???

I just said that Powell will play the 5.

I didnā€™t say anything about him starting.

i genuinely think dejon comes backā€¦his numbers arent remotely draft worthy to even be passable anymoreā€¦we are about to watch a magical 6+ game stretch from himā€¦or heā€™ll be backā€¦ he just doesnt want proā€¦he wants nbaā€¦

grimes numbers are passableā€¦if he can replicate the memphis, uconn, usf games for the remaining games, and get to the sweet 16ā€¦i think he is gone

the writing is on the walls for alleyā€¦if we ar willing to say we ā€œpushed him outā€ and help him get immediate eligibility, he is goneā€¦his demeanor on the bench isnt the same as last year eitherā€¦as long as we are willing to help him get a waiver ā€¦i think he is goneā€¦no matter who stays

2 Likes

ā€¦aaand the End of This Ridiculously Short Sighted Discussion Experiment by A Coogfan comes with one frosh guard making AAC 2nd Team All Conference and BOTH (Mills UNANIMOUS) AAC All Conference Freshman Team.

Iā€™m waiting for your End to AAC MBB COACHES Selecting the All Conference Teams Cuz I Forgot More About MBBā€¦yada yada yadaā€¦you get the idea.

It is laborious to read the pay-attention-to-me-psuedo-know-it-alls spew their picayune dreck upon our players on this board. Itā€™s more amazing it is tolerated.

ck
Edit: Sasser correction as he makes 2nd Team All AAC NEXT year! Apologies for my optimism on Coogfans regarding a player.

This has been cited and corrected already, but Sasser didnā€™t make second team all conference. He did make the all-freshman team.

So hereā€™s an illustration of the problem with minutes. Say Jarreau and Grimes come back and you pencil in the following somewhat conservative minutes projections.

Mills - 25 (heā€™s at 23 this year)
Hinton - 25 (heā€™s at 30 this year, think he probably plays more than 25 but being conservative)
White - 25 (heā€™s at 24 this year)
Grimes - 22 (heā€™s at 28 this year)
Jarreau (or Sasser if you prefer) - 22 (Sasser is at 24 this year and Jarreau is at 23)

That leaves 81 total minutes for Sasser (or Jarreau), Powell, Shead, Tyson, Roberts, Gresham, Gorham and Mark. That means that combination of players would average 10 minutes a game each. Even if you assume one of Jarreau or Grimes leaves that still only leaves 11.5 minutes each.

A few of those guys arenā€™t really going to play. The good news for anyone who doesnā€™t get PT next year, other than the seniors, is that the following year there will likely be much less competition for minutes with White, Gorham, Gresham, and Jarreau graduating and potentially someone like Grimes and/or Mills going pro.

Whom did you cite and/or correct?

Red80 wrote that (now edited) and Cogarus corrected. I wasnā€™t meaning to call you out. Just indicating that someone earlier said the same thing as well.

Iā€™ll let CKS and staff figure out the nice puzzle. What a nice puzzle to have.

Who starts will not be a big issue. The guys who play the most will be the ones playing the hardest and best within the team concept ! It will vary game to game.

Agreed. I trust the staff. Iā€™m just saying Iā€™ve seen a lot on this board penciling X player in for X minutes next year (or saying X player will play). Itā€™s not all going to be right. There just arenā€™t enough minutes. Itā€™s the math.

I agree with this starting lineup. Man we are going to be so deep. Mills not starting has nothing to do with Mills itā€™s that we try to turn him into James Harden way too early when he does start instead of running our offense.

Also we were missing a Brady this year CKS likes to go low at the beginning of games if Powell or Roberts can do that they can break into the starting lineup.

The hardest part for a freshman is the length of season, itā€™s been a long time since the Hawaii
tipoff. Good thing is, our coach is a master at bringing along freshman, getting the most out of them,
and finding the right combination before the tournament. We will be fine, that is why you see the
best coaches in the FInal Four.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1237497090734882816

Pretty interesting from CKS to go along with things

2 Likes

There are just so many unknowns about next yearā€¦like exactly who will return, who works hard in the off season, how quickly the new kids adapt and so on.
Loved what I have seen of Grimes the past two games, but letā€™s see how he continues to play in the tourney.
White was really good against Memphis and we need that White to show up most games. Perhaps the most surprising player to me was Hinton, who has really asserted himself as a dangerous mid range shooter.
Sasser has all the tools, just needs the shots to fall and has to learn that on a fast break that it is ok to pass the ball to a teammate.
Mills had a sub par game against Memphis, but he will remain one of our great scoring options. Not sure if he will start or come off the bench next year but he is going to play a lot of minutes.
Deeky simply has not been himself this yearā€¦I think the incident in the game here with UConn, and then the thing at CIncy, has taken a toll on him. Not sure what he is going to do, but you can bet that a Jarreau with his head on right would be very helpful to this team.
The three incoming freshman are going to get their chancesā€¦I agree with Jo, I would love to be able to redshirt the point guardā€¦Powell looks good on film, but most kids do on film.
What I like about him is that he can rebound and block shots and can run the court very well. He plays next year coming off the bench.
Mark is going to get minutesā€¦he is going to have great moments, probably be on the All freshman team, but at the same time he is going to drive coach Sampson crazy at times.
Regardless of how things work out we are going to be potent next yearā€¦folks better get their season tickets earlyā€¦and like we have discussed before, I hope we can work something out that we can sell student tickets when they are not picked upā€¦

2 Likes

For all the prognosticators on the board, I think thereā€™s a good chance that CKS uses Jamal Shead like he did Galen Robinson Jr. (ie: letā€™s him run the offense ~20 minutes a game as a freshman.)

To me, it looks like the light is now coming on for Quentin Grimes and that he & Nate Hinton could become the co-leaders of the team next year with Fabian White & Tramon Mark also making major contributions to our success! ā€¦ I expect to see us playing 10+ deep next season.