Espn/fox decline early big12 tv negociations

Not sure why you guys engage with trolls.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen in the next few years. One can speculate. Some speculation is probably more reasonable than other.

But when some butt comes here to tell us we’re doomed, they don’t know any more than us what’s going to happen. Ignore them.

6 Likes

So why can’t UH sellout a 40k seat stadium? I went to games at TDECU during the Herman era. There were empty seats at every game.

2 Likes

There are more UT, A&M and possibly LSU fans in the Houston area is what I was getting at.

1 Like

that is your opinion it is not a fact. it is my opinion that UH is the #1 college program in Houston.

6 Likes

UH vs Louisville in 2016 with Hermann had over 42k standing room only.

We lack consistency on the fb side which is why we can’t regularly sell out. BB sells out bc of consistent winning of late

42,822 for the Louisville game

71,016 for OU vs Houston in 2016 at NRG

5 Likes

You’re favorite is the Coogs? Interesting. Considering, the only thing you talk about on this forum is how UH wouldn’t fit in this or that conference.

2 Likes

Academy on 59 usually has lots of Coog gear. JC Penney even sells a lot of gear. I think it just depends on the store. But when I go to a store that only has UT or A&M gear, I always ask where the UH gear is and usually get I get the same answer: UH has very strict licensing rules and its hard to get our gear to be sold.

If those schools were forced to be in CUSA for a decade, their attendance and fan apathy would be an issue. Put UH in the Big 12 and attendance and fan enthusiasm would sky rocket.

5 Likes

I completely agree. But that did not happen. Realistically we sat in CUSA and are now playing ECU and South Florida every year. Historically the biggest crowds at games in the dome were for UT and Aggie. I hate this. I hate that we had to build temporary stands at old Robertson that could have fallen down to let more UT fans in the game. But it is a very real fact. Also that old UH line on licensing hasn’t been true in decades. Dianna at the old rothers bookstore used to order anything. She said companies never had problems with licensing. She got all kinds of crazy stuff. I bought a 3 inch UH brand for branding from her. She said companies just never got asked to make stuff by the big retailers.

1 Like

Our lowest attended game was 36k for Tulsa that year. That was a great atmosphere. Winning almost sold out our 42k person stadium every week. Best crowds in my life as a fan (since 96).

And UT in 2019 only sold 47k tickets to play Rice at NRG. Or did Rice drum that support up? Lol.

The way some people on here post, we are so valuable that the P5’s are basically fighting over us.

1 Like

Please stop making statements like that. You and I have no clues or are not going to be the decision makers.

2 Likes

We are…we are a major University in the second most populous and powerful state in the United States.

We are in the heart of the fourth most populated city and 5th most populated metro.

We have close to 50,000 students. We have colleges and programs that rank top 10 nationally , and MANY notable and influential Alums. We have an endowment greater than many P5 schools …i.e. SEC.

Our President is laser focused on making UH the best public school in Texas. Obviously it will be tough to overtake UT Austin, but it won’t be due to lack of trying.

On the athletic side, UH has been to both a NY6 Bowl and Final Four in the last 5 years, despite being in a G5. How many others can say that? Also, our TV ratings for big times games is competitive, if not superior, to any other program viewed IN our market.

We do have tons of fan support around Houston…even casual fan support but we do need to work on Consistency…but a P5 invite will help with that.

People know about UH…I’ve been all over the country…they know.

We discount ourselves so much here but we are in a very good spot…

7 Likes

What did not happen?

Whether it’s true or not, it’s what those specific stores told me. Also, of course Rothers had all sorts of stuff. Her market was UH.

And that was with an administration that didn’t care about the university or it’s sports. Renu and Tilman wouldn’t let that happen now. Our facilities are night and day from then too. I’m not saying that P5’s are drooling to invite us. Just that, that was a different time, with a different administration and horrible facilities that weren’t even competitive in CUSA.

Retail companies don’t have to license a team logo, the manufacturer, or vendors to the retail stores are the ones who have to license the logo. There’s plenty of UH branded merchandise available, your academy chooses not to buy it for resale.

Strictly speaking, this isn’t true and never was. The Peach Bowl and Final Four were just over five years apart.

I wasn’t talking about academy. I see plenty of gear at academy. I walked into a Berings one time and they had hand crafted wooden coolers and the guy said “we would gladly make one for UH but their licensing is very strict.” I think I remember the same at a store in the galleria.

IMHO, success on the gridiron these next couple of seasons is essential if we want UH football to be competitive and recognized nationally. Otherwise, we risk sinking further into mediocrity and relegated to the level of UNT, UTSA, and ULL. Pretty sad for a once storied program at the state’s 3rd largest university. Based on this year’s schedule and roster stability, I am optimistic we’ll see improvement.

Technically 3 months over 5 years but the point is in a 5 year window UH made it to both a NY6 Bowl in Football and the Final Four in basketball…and did so from a G5 conference.

Those are the 2 money generating sports…how many other schools have done BOTH in the same 5 year window? Auburn?

1 Like

Much to the chagrin of others on this message board, I’m of the opinion that we are in a conference with peer athletic programs. Whether it’s winning percentage, revenue, average attendance or (insert any other metric) UH is not an outlier amongst other AAC programs.

So what can we do? Instead of indulging in the thought that someone will give us a leg up, start trying to build up the AAC. That is something we can have direct control over.

11 Likes