Espn/fox decline early big12 tv negociations

That is what some people think, but to back up your claim, where did you get your data from? Attach the link.

Here you go.

Bingo. A friend in the industry (senior executive) said very recently that more consolidation is anticipated and there are big dogs (e.g. Amazon) who appear to want to get into the game big time. Many rumors, much speculation within the industry. Just saying.

1 Like

You realize the PAC12 distributes about 40 million per school. That with additional home game revenues from better matchups would wipe out our subsidy.

When you say Texas,A&M and LSU are most popular here in Houston, it’s only true when UH isn’t winning big like the peach bowl yr or the final 4 this yr. Then if not winning big but in a major conference like they are we’d be close or on par if doing reasonable well . Put any of them in our conf. then they’re drop. It’s the relevance of the conf that matters which is why. We even out do them from the AAC when winning big so how much better would we be in an equal conference. We’d be on par so your not comparing apples to apples. This city really embraces the Coogs when we’re good and history proves it. They had UT fans embracing phi slamma Jana bc they couldn’t help it bc we were so good. During the final 4 this yr, I had all kinds of people saying go Coogs and my dad even noticed from a Louisiana and he noticed when we were in the peach bowl so you have to be good and normally UT , A$M and LSU are decent to good but their conf status cushions the leaner yrs so they remain popular. Put us in their conferences and it will be the same for us. Right now we have to be good to get noticed bc of our conf affiliation.BB is ok we’re we are but it’s football that needs the conf. upgrade. Like mentioned , my dad started talking about the Coogs during the peach bowl and this yr with final 4 mentioning the 2 Coogs from the New Orleans area on the bb team.Houston loves UH above the rest when we’re good.

1 Like

First, I’m talking year after year after year after year. Multiple years, not just the years when UH has a good team. Second, unless you’re in the state of Kansas, North Carolina or Kentucky very few people care about basketball outside of March madness.

It’s only yr after yr bc they are in a p5 and we’re not so again your not comparing apples to apples. We’d do fine in a p5 just like them. UH doesn’t suffer from being big time in the SWC going to cusa etc just like they would.We go from playing Maryland, ND and Neb in cotton bowls and then cusa. Ask them how they do in the cusa etc for 20 yrs.

1 Like

Actually no I do not realize that at all because I know that to be 100% untrue.

For FY 2020 the PAC 12 distributed $33.6 million which is a good bit lower than $40 million (about 20% lower).

I also know that if UH “wiped out” their $48 million dollar academic side subsidy that would leave revenues of $26,677,759. So even if one was to pretend that the PAC 12 distributed $40 million and they were to pretend that UH would get a full share of that it still leaves UH with a budget of $66,677,759 which would be the second lowest of any public P5 member and possibly the second lowest including private P5 schools. And that is pretending that UH would keep the $4 to $4.5 million in AAC distributions even if they were no longer in the AAC. If you take that money out then the UH budget with a pretend $40 million from the PAC 12 and a “wiped out” academic side subsidy would be $62,677,759 which would be the lowest of any public P5 and possibly the lowest in all of the P5.

And that is ignoring the cost to leave the AAC as well which is about $17 million.

Using real world numbers and the 26,677,759 budget and still including a pretend full share of PAC 12 revenues of $33.6 million, taking out $4.5 million for no longer being in the AAC and of course the “wiped out subsidy” then UH has a budget of $55,777,759 and then you amortize the cost of leaving the AAC over 10 years and subtract $1.7 million you get $54,077,759 which is absolutely the lowest in the P5.

And again that is still with a pretend full share of PAC 12 revenues from day one. So there is nothing to suggest anything close to “wiping out” the academic side subsidy and even leaving an extremely large one that would be the highest in the PAC 12 and one of the highest in the P5 still leaves a very low P5 budget to work with. Take out the full share of PAC 12 revenues for a number of years and it just looks worse.

Again we don’t need to up our budget to compete bc of Tillman paying our coaches so it would get better for us financially. Again the pac doesn’t care where we get other money from bc it’s our prob and we’d be more than willing to keep subsidizing in a p5 vs now. If they could get us for 10 mil or 15 with espn’s backing we’re good.

This is a no brainer for UH and if we take less from the pac, they are good.

2 Likes

Our admin wants a p5 so that says it all and we can work a Tillman deal which is what Aldine said in that we’d pay a lot to get in including exit fees from the aac.

1 Like

None of those are Houston programs. You might as well included Alabama and Ohio State. Wrong again.

2 Likes

When was the last time city hall
or downtown Houston skyscrapers were lit burnt orange?

When was the last time the mayor of Houston declared it Texas A&M day in Houston.

When was the last time TVs were rolled in , during business hours, to watch a Texas Tech Bowl Game in Houston offices ?

When was the last time whole newscasts
I mean everybody wore LSU gear?

We keep believing this narrative that we have less casual UH fans than A&M, UT, or LSU
that’s just NOT true! The casual UH fans made Phi Slama Jama a NATIONAL PHENOMENON
we just need to be on the biggest stage to show how much Cougar RED is there but it is there!

7 Likes

ESPN and Fox want to see how much more TV sports viewers are willing to stream and pay for rather than simply expect games to show up on familiar cable or dish channels. This is smart on their part. And the B12 will just have to wait.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of both arguments. There will undoubtedly be shakeups but I wouldn’t necessarily bet on expansion of P5s by G5 team promotions. The $ is so big it is hard to bring enough value as a G5 promotion. More likely creative streaming methods, new media partners, partnerships between schools, players, media sharing increased profits, new advertising methods, a lot of thinking out of the box but a lot of hoarding by the haves for of increased and squeezed profits in this market. JMO

1 Like

Not very scientific. Facebook, zip codes, blurry map?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

When was the last time academy had more uh stuff year round than UT or Aggie? The Fairfield academy here in cypress and the tomball academy has more LsU than Uh as well. Consumer’s wallets say that we are third at best in the city.

City Halls don’t watch tv. I love my Coogs, got them tattooed on me, but I also know we are not the most popular team in Houston.

The difference is when we do good no one hates us. When UT does well all of us and aggies and pretty much everyone not connected to Ut hopes they fail. Same with Aggie.

2 Likes

Also if we had that many casual fans we would not be sitting in half empty stadiums most of the year. Once again, love us, just realistic.

2 Likes

True
but Coog fans come out from everywhere when we are relevant. I am convinced there are more University of Houston fans in Houston than any other school
and I’m talking about many who have never even stepped foot on campus.

I was blown away how many UH fans are in the city of Houston but yes
we can’t get them to the regular football games but they did come and sold out NRG vs Oklahoma. The fan base IS there
just not consistent.

It was the casual Houstonians that made Phi Slama Jama a love affair with a University that has rarely been duplicated since.

When we are ON
we get TONS of support. And people forget we aren’t even a 100 year old University yet but we are close and we are also close to 50k students.

We are definitely the biggest piece of the pie in terms of fan support in Houston
again IN Houston

The Academy in humble has equal sections for UH, UT and A&M then Texans, Rockets and Astro’s and that’s it so it might depend on what part of town your in. As far as getting casual fans to attend our games, it takes big winning or marketing for us but I do believe the casual fans watch on tv which matters if we’re good bc conferences care more about markets and tv. They want a fuller stadium for tv appearances but to my knowledge , we don’t share ticket sales. I had a lot of people at work and etc commentating on the final 4 bb team and none of them went to games but they saw it on tv so we have casual fans but getting them to the stadium would take marketing and a conf upgrade would help so I don’t think saying less casual fans in the stadium equates to us having less casual fans for tv and interest. When we’re winning I see a lot more UH stuff at stores and like said, we’re a city of 7 mil in the greater area so we’re like a big state pop so we can afford to have UT and A$M stuff here since many live here. If we were in a p5 now we would move up in all areas and be treated more like UT and A&M even when 8 and 5.A friend’s son who grew up loving UT then went to UH now had a watch party for our final 4 team but he never attended a bb game as an ex. We have the fans watching on tv etc. BB is sold out but if our fb can get going like 2016 we can sell out. The same guy remembers that great Louisville game and he attended just that one bc of how good we were even though he loved UT at the time.We do have to put a good product out there like bb on a consistent basis.

The city of Houston does not go crazy if UT, Baylor, A&M, LSU, etc. sports teams have success. The city of Houston does go crazy and paint the city red when UH has success. There is no comparison.

9 Likes