ESPN, Fox, Warner Bros. to launch sports streaming platform - ESPN

I can see this as a tool that actually benefits the growth of streaming. Currently not everyone wants to subscribe to half a dozen different apps to watch their teams, but if combined into one, it could get some traction.

However subscription cost will be a factor, and then how much does each of the partners get to spend on content to stream?

3 Likes

I am assuming all 15 networks will be a picture-in-picture list to scroll and when you select one, it shouldn’t take more than 5 seconds to load. If that is the case, it might be a success if the price isn’t too high.

It will include offerings from 15 linear networks: ESPN, ESPN+, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNEWS, ABC, Fox, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS, truTV.

1 Like

But no local Astros or Rockets games?

2 Likes

Seems monopolistic.

Or half of March Madness or this year’s Super Bowl. Those are on CBS.

Cost is estimated to be $40-$50 a month. Then we have those pesky blackouts.

More like collusion. Everything is money driven, even if it seems like they’re trying to offer us a better product.

2 Likes

I could see getting in Anti-Trust if they fix the prices and the only way you can get them is if you buy the package, e.g, MLBTV if you want to watch out of market or Bally for local sports.

In reality, this is ESPN on steroids. It’s what the market will bear. If it is $50/month and people have other options, they won’t buy it…

1 Like

Those are all National networks. Astros/Rockets will always be Regional network set up. Just like all the other Pro NBA/MLB Teams are set up.

They should throw in League Pass.

Smart move. With so many choices, the consumer is very price sensitive and looking for the best value for the money. Putting the leagues under one umbrella will create value for the consumer so they can get most of their sports on one platform for one fee.

I’ve kind of resigned to the fact that streaming is the future of sports and entertainment. WWE Raw is moving to Netflix in 2025

Yes, better term for it. I’ve been kinda surprised none of the G4 have filed lawsuits against the P5/4 in the past. Seems like they would have a winning case.

NCAA needs to step in and put on an actual playoff already.

Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia.