Expansion...a matter of when

Kansas had an invite to the Big East in their back pocket.

TCU also had new facilities built prior to being invited to P5. All we had was a planned stadium. We are now in a different stratosphere with regard to P5 level facilities.

2 Likes

Did you ever get to hear our own Matt Jackson’s radio rant on Baylor, when they started yelping. It’s truly the stuff off legends.

Matt, if you have that audio somewhere please post it. It’s epic.

2 Likes

I was living in Central Texas at the time (Jarrell, Texas) and working in Copperas Cove at the time. Would have loved to hear what Matt Jackson (CougarMatt) said. I was hearing the complaints from all the Waco fans up there and the newspaper ad begging the horns and raiders to keep the conference together
instant classic!!!

Notre Dame is not leaving the ACC for the B10 because the B10 won’t bend over backwards to accommodate the Irish like the ACC does with its part time affiliation.

2 Likes

We are getting close to that May 25th meeting date that Flugaur promised so I thought I’d bump this thread.

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule out UT, TT, OU, and OSU revisiting the idea of joining the Pac12. UT is not a fan of ours and so it’s highly unlikely they would swap TT for us. I’m not sure what the status of the LHN will be if or when realignment heats up, but it appears that the Pac12 has less leverage than it did during the previous negotiations and just might accept the terms presented to them. I hate to admit it but UT carries a lot of weight and would probably be the top dog in the Pac12 just as they are in the B12. The only school I could see challenging them would be USC. As far as TV sets and value, the combination of UT, TT, OU, and OSU would be greater than the current B12. UT has never been in a conference where the other schools were not dependent on them and they may not want to start now, therefore I am not sure if the SEC or B1G are a good fit politically speaking. I can’t imagine the B12 or Pac12 gaining a significant increase in money with the status quo and so I think something has got to give. The path to the CFP in the Pac12 would not be much different for UT or OU than it is now, it might even help them.

Those schools might as well stay in the B12. They’re not gaining anything from the PAC 12.

1 Like

I do not know the current amount, however I would assume since the Pac12 is a conference flush in research money, it would be a gain. Research funds dwarf what is gained via athletics. I would think that a better TV contract could also be negotiated with the sum of those schools. However, you may be right but if they considered it before, then I would not rule it out.

Cat, UT is never even going to consider going to a conference where they would make considerably less than they do now, when they can increase their revenue and prestige by joining B1G, ACC, or SEC
Whorn simply has better choices than PAC 12

4 Likes

YES, they do; but after all, they are so much better and more important than EVERYONE else. If you don’t believe me, just ask THEM.

So - they should just go independent! And, that is exactly what they may decide to do; that way, they can keep their beloved LHN.

3 Likes

They would absolutely love to have a Notre Dame type deal with the ACC where they could be independent in football and in the ACC for everything else. Who knows, ESPN may make it happen
wouldn’t be surprised as it would allow them to put a ton of football on the LHN and get some money back from it while also getting UT content on the ACC Network to help boost that. I honestly think there’s a solid chance of this happening, especially if OU is set on leaving.

Agree with you @aldineblue, I can’t see UT going to the PAC12 anymore unless they are forced to take Texas schools with them. If the legislature puts pressure on them, they may head west and bring Tech, Houston, and Kansas or TCU with them. But, I doubt anyone in Austin is going to seriously push for that right now with the PAC12 in the shape it’s in. 5 years ago, maybe
not now.

3 Likes

Plus would UT like losing the power? Right now they control 40% of Big 12 votes. That’s a lot of power. Although Tech has occasionally shown some semblance of independence, but those instances are rare and getting rarer as the Big 12 GoR approaches its end.

1 Like

I think UT wouldn’t mind keeping the Big12 together if OU stayed and the Independent/ACC deal wasn’t available. As you said, they have enough votes to get whatever they want. It isn’t like they suffer when rankings or bowls come into play; they’re Texas, they get what they want
as Augie Garrido said in 2014: “If it’s about money, [Texas] will be at home.”

I think they’d leave if OU leaves because they wouldn’t see the worth in sticking around. Fans really don’t care about anyone else in that conference except OU and ticket sales would drop.

1 Like
  1. Texas would have left in 2010, but Aggy lied to the conference members that they would stay. Then Aggy negotiated behind everyone’s back with the SEC and left a year later. Texas now hates Aggy beyond words.
  2. The majority of Texas fans don’t like the Big 12. Crappy road games, terrible refs, only one team anyone actually enjoys playing.
  3. I have never heard one UT fan or admin speak of going independent or quasi-independent as an option. I just cannot see that happening. The fans wouldn’t be receptive, and the administration doesn’t want the scheduling headaches.
  4. Someone is going to offer Texas a fortune to join their conference. All the B1G schools just made $54 million so they are the heavy favorite as that number gets much higher when Texas joins.
2 Likes

Texas wont like the balance of power in the BIG10, so that might deter any interest in that conference.

I think it’s pretty odd that people thinks this matters to Texas. Texas like money, period. Anyone that thinks Texas holds a bunch of sway in the Big 12 doesn’t pay at attention to Officiating at UT conference football games. UT is counting the days to GTFO.

Long history in grid iron excellence? Are you sure about that? UH football success goes back all the way to the ‘70s and 80s, Boise State didn’t play in Division 1 football until the early 2000’s under Coach Petersen’s rein where it did made some splash but that is within a decade or so, so I wouldn’t list that as “long history of grid iron excellence” worthy of overtaking a school such as UH or UCF.

Anyway, Boise State is about 1/5 the size of UH and isn’t known for anything else besides some football success in relatively recent history.

Never understood why everyone thinks Boise should be one of the next schools.
Some success on the football field is too short-sighted.
Their geography is not an aid.
There are logistics that will keep them out of the Pac.
They have no market.
If their football program takes a downturn which would be very possible larger and better conference they bring zilch to the table.

2 Likes

Not everyone thinks Boise State should be next. You mentioned about everything. I only know of one good or fun thing about them and that’s their blue turf. No eyeballs, no good relevant location.

Any school can have national appeal if they are winning especially if it’s a G5 school beating P5 schools. Maybe that’s more like national attention than appeal.