Expansion...a matter of when

Boise’s academics and market are the things holding them back. PAC12 doesn’t even consider them an option right now And they’re too far away from any other conference at the moment.

Their only chance is if the Big12 needs teams and looks West. Even still, they haven’t made a lot of friends out there with their TV deal so they may find it tough finding partners.

1. Texas stayed in the Big 12 in 2010 because the PAC 10 administration and presidents wouldn’t let them keep their third tier rights to non-conference football games and some basketball games. LHN had yet to be negotiated and finalized. But Deloss Dodds was already in the process of finding a media company to partner with for what would ultimately be LHN. That was the fly in the ointment to their move west.
  2. Agreed.
  3. Agreed.
  4. Someone is going to offer Texas an equal share of conference revenue. None of the P5 conferences outside of the Big 12 will offer preferential treatment. And the money that UT makes from the Big 12 and LHN already puts them on par with the money the Big 10 schools are making from the Big 10. The minute that the LHN deal was signed in 2011, it became clear that the move by ESPN was about keeping Texas in the Big 12 and thus a tier-1 property of ABC/ESPN.

Dang…I thought I had joined Coogfans not Orangebloods

5 Likes

To get an idea of what may happen in the future, you really should look at the situation not by conference but by network.

ACC - ESPN
SEC - ESPN
Big 12 - Split ESPN / Fox
B1G - Fox
PAC - Fox Primary
AAC - ESPN (Just to throw us in there)
LHN - ESPN (Just because this contract goes well past the GORs and could effect movement)

It is not a surprise that Fox did not bid on the Big 12 championship games or the third tier package that ESPN+ picked up. Fox is not interested in the short-term. Their actions lead us to believe they have no interest in the Big 12 in the future. This also creates expectations that they will back an expansion by the B1G and/or the PAC to expand by raiding the Big 12.

Texas is the prize. But the decision will be influenced by ESPN. Can Texas go to the B1G and keep the LHN? Will the B1G allow that? Will ESPN allow it? What would it take for Texas to buyout the LHN contract from ESPN? PAC? Doubtful. Travel expense higher. More lucrative and more exposure going East or staying Central. ACC? Easy fit. Could roll out in multiple ways. Similar Notre Dame deal. Notre Dame and Texas become part of the ACC. Texas keeps their LHN deal but opens the state to the ACC network. Notre Dame keeps their NBC contract. Texas will go to either the B1G or ACC but they will be influenced by multiple factors.

I believe this sums it up. Neither Texas or Oklahoma is going to stay in the Big 12 in the future. Too risky and the opportunities too good. The networks are not going to pay lucrative amounts for the Big12 conference when it can better benefit them to move other conferences with networks into the State to get higher carriage rates. Also benefits their streaming packages as well.

The positive for us. Once Texas moves, there will be a push by Fox and ESPN looking to add a Texas school into the conference to improve carriage rates. Being smack dab in the middle of the largest city in the State and with Texas & A&M accounted for, we are the next best choice.

6 Likes

Today is the big day!

1 Like

Ron Speaking of blue turf and eyeballs, i can’t physically watch a boise state game. The field is so distracting i can’t see the players. Its annoying as hell. And i’m not really that old. Eyesight is ok. It a really distracting gimmick, and not really a cool one.
But hey if i lived in that state i’d prolly start doing some weird stuff too.

1 Like

Yep today is the day ole Flugie-ville and his “inside” B1G rep meet for lunch and discuss B1G business PLUS UH and whatever inside info the B1G rep has for possible inclusion into one of the P5 conf or maybe even the B1G …

I don’t have Flugie’s tweet address … so it will have to come from someone who does … I am not into tweeting … I am barely facebooking :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Agree with that. I could see a situation where the Big 12 gets pillaged of 3-4 schools, and those remaining decide their best hope is to get back to 12 by adding the best football programs possible, likely UH, Boise, UCF, maybe BYU. Hopefully we’ll have accepted an ACC or PAC 12 invitation by then.

3 Likes

I’ll have to check that out. Not like he’s meeting with Khator, Larry Scott, Jim Swofford, and the presidents and ADs at OU and UT, but I don’t automatically discount everything he says like I do when I see other “realignment gurus” post something. I think he gets some second-hand info that in some cases may be legit.

3 Likes

He hasn’t posted any reminders of his dinner…hope it is still on. Always good for an off-season read, whether anything comes to fruition or not.

You don’t need an account, his page is on public

You can view it here:

https://twitter.com/flugempire

1 Like

you are doing much better than me. I have chosen not to do any of those social media things.

I don’t do any of that either. My only internet interaction is Coogfans and CougarsDigest.

1 Like

So tonight is the big dinner date with BTM for Flugar. Man while I take the whole thing with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila, I really hope these rumors are just freaking really good gossip starters for us. Because it’s summer and good we need something to keep us going until we get some recruiting or practice news.

4 Likes

And here are the teasers. Sounds like a fun read ahead whether or not you take this kind off off-season banter seriously.
https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/1132357357885894664?s=21

TCU may not have been deserving of B12-2, but they have taken the money and invested in facility upgrades. Football stadium is way better than first Armed Forces Bowl I went to with Case as QB and they are still doing massive add ons. Everybody says they have money at TCU but the B12 money is gravy to the program, could have been UH.

Timing is everything and TCU had the vision which was shared by 100 wealthy alums and Ft Worth businessmen that made the vision reality at the right time. It could have been us but alas we did not have the tools at the right time. Maybe it’s not too late. We will see.

2 Likes

Mr Deloss said He could think of 20+ schools over Houston. We werent getting in, no matter what. They were oen to one Texas school then Dodds said that. Doom for us.