Expansion...a matter of when

Well, then, your turdish outlook is weird, as you are in the middle of a golden age. I was there in the late 80’s, early 90’s, when outside of the Run and Shoot, all was adequate to dismal, and got worse. Spoiled is what I’m seeing from you, and boring at best. Hope to run into you at some alumni event where you are just over it.

3 Likes

Edit: looks like I’m one of the first back!

I’m not a huge fan of Gadfly’s overly pessimistic outlook, but I don’t think he’s anymore out of line, than his polar opposites on this page. I find other posters to be far too"everything is awesome, we’re always awesome and anything that it’s not awesome is an Austin based conspiracy/troll"

Sure Gadfly’s on the way pessimistic side. But just because he doesn’t touch everyone in their Cougar naughty bits didn’t make his opinion any less valid than, “we could be the next Alabama” which while a nice thought is simply not based on a single shred of evidence.

Spelling of pessimists. Davy what happened to you man? Your Gus Bus days seemed to have gotten really soft lately? Still funny though

If UT and A&M can split, so can OU and OSU.

And, they will too; it is only a matter of time!

1 Like

We won’t be ahead of UT or OU for invites to the B10 or PAC.

We don’t have to be ahead of UT or OU we have to be ahead Tech, Kansas State, Iowa State,West Virginia etc.

Like the old joke about two guys on a safari talking about out running a lion and one says “you can’t out run a lion, you aren’t faster than a lion.” The other said “I don’t have to be faster than the lion I just have to be faster than you.”

4 Likes

I cant speak to the B1G but we will certainly be ahead of them as far as PAC is concerned. OU tried to get in PAC on their own, with only OSU, and were flatly turned down. Why? No Texas school in the deal. PAC wants in TEXAS!! That is a primary goal if they expand.

2 Likes

True, but if they are looking at the City of Houston vs Austin or Norman, we would be ahead on that comparison.

In just straight city vs. city numbers that’s true. But Texas and OU give significant portions of markets throughout the Southwest. It’s why they’re going to be the top two potential free agents. Not a big deal just how it is with bigger names.

1 Like

But do they want to split?

But they’re not. They would be looking at the total fan following that each school brings.

If money come calling, they (OU) will…

1 Like

BINGO! It’s all about money.

2 Likes

UT makes more money than virtually any other school now. They have the easiest path to the CFP of any other school in the country not named OU. And UT makes the rules in the Big12. They would have a lot of competition for lead dog in the SEC or Big10.

They may leave the Big12, but it seems like they already explored that avenue and determined that they were best suited to stay put. And that looks like the right decision.

3 Likes

Yup. There are quite a few disincentives for Texas or OU to leave the Big 12. I think that is what gets lost in these conversations.

1 Like

Not entirely. If it were, every school, no matter their location or athletic prowess, would be beating a path towards Jim Delaney’s office trying to get into the Big 10.

Money is a big consideration. But it’s certainly not the only consideration.

Well, in that case, they will take UH, and they had better get with the program before that evades their grasp. Other conferences are circling around the state of Texas too; one of them just might strike first!

Meanwhile, uta might be the real prize in this state, but they want to remain the big dog in whatever pack they decide to run with, and most of those packs already have a “big dog,” who is unwilling to share! When someone else moves into the area, possibly swiping away not only UH, but OU too, uta just might decide to go Independent.

1 Like

I never saw any documented evidence that OU was turned down for the PAC.

Report: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State surprised by Pac-12 snub

3 Likes

My understanding was that UT, OU, OSU, and TT were going west. Done deal. The last piece to finalize before the move was the Longhorn Network. PAC was going to roll it into the PAC Networks but UT said no and the deal fell apart. OK and OSU tried to move alone and were told that without UT they were not wanted. Since then OU has been looking for a way to get away from UT.

4 Likes