Expansion...a matter of when

Simple: Agree to split with OSU, just like uta did with atm, pick another conference and move; take UH with you instead of uta!

2 Likes

Rumor has it that the SEC wants OU so bad that they are willing to take OSU. We will find out in just a few years.

1 Like

OU and OSU is like having a date with one of the prettiest girls in school. But, in order for her to go out with you, you have to take her little sister along on a double date. The question is can you find a friend that will go along.

OU is an elite athletic school. Their problem is that their academics don’t match up. For conferences like the B1G, and to a lesser extent the PAC-12, this is an impediment.

The PAC-12 said if you don’t come along with UT, we’re not interested. THey don’t really fit the academic profile of PAC-12 schools.

The B1G? Forget it. WILL NEVER HAPPEN!! ND got invited, but they are a good school, not AAU, but their focus may not be what the AAU wants. However, ND is right in the middle of the B1G footprint. ND is the only school the B1G has invited that was not AAU. OU is good, has a following, but it’s not ND.

There’s a couple of things you have to remember with conferences: first there are two types of members: charter and invited. You ask how a schools like Iowa State, Washington State, Oregon State could get into a major conference? They were a charter member back at the conference formation or soon thereafter. The second, university presidents make these decisions, not athletic directors.

It’s like old money and new money. It’s all money, but it’s not always viewed the same. Oklahoma and UT are newer money. They’re not really liked or respected that well, but as is the case with UT, they have so much of it, they can’t be ignored.

Think back to the movie Risky Business. There’s a line “you’ve done some solid work here Joel, but it’s not quite Princeton is it?” That’s OU. They could end up in a very nice conference, but it’s not quite B1G.

1 Like

OU would be suicidally stupid if it joined the SEC.

that would be one opinion

1 Like

JMO UT and OU have a really good thing going in the B12 (for them) and they are not going to start the dominoes falling. They may act if they start falling but they’re not going to start it.
I think the B10 goes first and looks at the Carolina/Virginia region of the ACC. It lets them penetrate SEC fandom country without raiding the SEC.

1 Like

Quite possibly. Jim Delaney, who is retiring this year, has talked about going to as high as 20 schools.

UVA would be a no brainer. UNC? Normally, I would say yes. With recent things going on, maybe not so much. Duke? Ya think? And all three are AAU, as is Georgia Tech. Kansas is also AAU. Would Mizzou consider a move? They are AAU. No one in Oklahoma is AAU.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to see us in the B1G, I just don’t see it happening, even if we achieve AAU status.

2 Likes

Who else would the B1G take IF UT has no interest/asking for too much AND they definitely want a school in the state of Texas?

One thing to keep in mind is that if OU and OSU were invited and joined they would not be in a division with Alabama and Auburn, who would likely move to the East (with Missouri going to the west).

(I don’t see it happening. One of the biggest things OU offers is competitiveness and that’s one area where the SEC doesn’t need the help. They wouldn’t necessarily turn down OU, but not enough to bring Oklahoma State for the ride.)

• UT will go wherever the money and prestige is. My guess is B1G. Potentially with UH in tow.

-UH needs to elevate to Miami level of relevance. Miami is on the conversation with FSU nd Florida. UH needs to be in the conversation with UT and Aggy. UH is instantly top 3 in State once admitted into P5.

We can speculate all we want. One fact remains. Money talks and everything else walks.
So yes, we can be invited by all P5’s. For the ones that say no invite is possible by SEC or BIG10 you don’t know. Don’t try to twist it one way or the other. Time will tell everyone on this board where we will be n 2024/25. We have to position ourselves the best way possible. We have to our community engaged a 100% into our “sales” pitch. This is the job for our A.D., Marketing department, ticket office & our leaders. It is also our job to “tell a friend” and do what we can to put behinds in the seats. I can’t stand facebook for what it stands for but we can definitely use it to showcase U of H.

The claim that the SEC wants OU bad enough to take O Lite is something I’m not convinced of. Okie athletics exist (and have always existed) thanks to DFW area high school athletics. That fact goes back to the days of Bud Wilkerson. If OU went SEC they would be giving up their Texas tether in exchange for connections with ATM. Would that be enough to keep the high school jocks flowing into Norman. Maybe, but certainly not into Stillwater, which is totally dependent on Texas high schools for the athletes.

1 Like

Well I can see why the Pac12 didn’t want OU/OkSt in a package 

When Red80 and I last drove to Norman 
 ALL we saw north of Dallas were farms, cows a few sheep and lots and lots of water towers and windmills 
 and driving through those BUSTLING towns where if you blink once you will miss the town and its one stop light altogether 

Yep ah booming recruiting meca 
 for cattle and sheep 
 and water towers 

1 Like

Not going to happen. The ACC locked in their grant of rights into the mid 2030’s as part of their agreement to launch the ACC network.

1 Like

So you’re saying that money is the only thing that matters to people. And nothing else matters. Got it.

No, but money is the convenient agreed upon ruler that we use to measure the relative value of different priorities. Rather than haggle some neighborly charity and sportsmanship for education and career and livelihood, we just trade pieces of cotton and metal and electrons to signify how important each of those things are. Are you just here for the entertainment of football? Is keeping you entertained valuable enough to keep extraordinarily talented and committed people on retainer? Or should we just put a number on it that we can all agree to pay or choose to entertain ourselves instead?

1 Like

Dan, this is all about planning, and nobody does it better than the longhorns
Its not necessary for them to do anything first. B1G will indeed start the ball rolling. The question is with who and how many. Does Texas prefer to go B1G where the money is, but have to deal with ferocious competition and midwest and northern weather conditions on the road? Or do they prefer to go southeast with their old partner ESPN and be in the ACC? Texas will never be the first to announce leaving. It will be whoever goes to B1G. If they are a part of that deal, then it will be their partner who jumps first. Texas requires to be able to say they did not START it. Being 2nd school or later school to jump, perfectly OK in longhorn eyes. No one is jumping from ACC or SEC
They are tied up for years
Big 12 is who is vulnerable and that is who will be raided. Texas and OU have all but publicly announced their future intentions by refusing to extend the Big 12 GOR

There is only one real question
WHERE does Texas want to go? Because they are attractive enough to go where they please

The B1G would clearly like Texas. Will they say yes, or no? If they say yes, who goes with them? After we find that out, then you can expect a reaction from the ACC and possibly the PAC 12 in response to such a definitive move.
If they say no, then look for the B1G to ask someone else from our state to join. I think that would be Houston. They want a piece of this market, and they arent likely to be deterred because Texas says no
I am not interested in hearing about AAU or any other excuse, because if they want in the region, they are going to get in the region, and they will make it happen.
However this plays out, we are very likely to grab a P5 bid. We have worked very hard to set ourselves up as an attractive candidate who has what those conferences want
a large market in Texas and a very attractive program and school, overall.

5 Likes

You also have another dilemma with UT and the B1G 
 the B1G network 
 who I believe is sponsored by primarily FOX 

The horns and their LHN is ESPN sponsored 
 (and water and oil don’t mix well) 
 if as someone has already noted the horns would not allow the Pac12 to blend their LHN into Pac12 $$$ then I doubt UT will allow the B1G to tell them to BITE THE BULLET and eliminate their LHN before joining 

I have FOREVER stated that the horns like to bluster A LOT but when push comes to shove they are cowards and will most likely STAY in the Big12 to remain the BIG KAHUNA 
 once the sooners have left 

6 Likes

Bingo!

KANSAS - AAU, and to keep every member in contiguous states, to get to; OKLAHOMA, not AAU, but who cares?; which takes them to UH and the largest city in the state of Texas, the promised land. And then they pick off someone else - anyone else - to get to a total membership of 18! Notre Dame, maybe; they are right in the middle of their region!

And that leaves the whorns with egg on their face; they can remain in a destroyed Little-12, or they can go Independent, which they would probably do. That way, they can make all the rules for their little play house!

4 Likes

Jtdees, Aldineblue, Davy
err Pawrful, and Eatemup
4 knockout punch posts in a row
wow!:sunglasses: