Expansion...a matter of when

I just don’t buy the B10 expanding to a flyover state that’s not Texas. That’s one of their few key issues to begin with, too many midwest losing population states represented. Their fan bases are dying off and their kids are moving to Texas or the coasts.

GOR will be challenged in court it’s a matter of time.

2 Likes

He’s busy coaching now. MH = Mr Holgorson. Did you notice, all his tweets were after closing time.

Now you know.

What a great retirement I will have if we get in the b10.

3 Likes

I think one question no one is looking at, is would UH be open to unequal revenue sharing within reason? Or an longer buy-in period? E.g 10 instead of 5 years.

Could we go to Pac or ACC and day we’d accept 60% - 75% revenue share? Even a 60% share would be a huge jump in revenue. We could be looking at $18-22M, as opposed to $6M.

Of course there would be no compromise on explosive. UH gets its fair share of games on TV, and fair travel arrangements.

1 Like

The more P5 interest we get, the more leverage we have !

2 Likes

Why should UH be treated that badly; please stop selling us short! We should be invited in with EXACTLY the same requirements as anybody else - especially any other schools invited in at the same time. I am really tired of others treating this university as some kind of step-child!

5 Likes

It all depends on leverage/competing offers doesn’t it? If we have leverage then you’re totally correct. If we don’t have leverage, then you take whatever deal that give you for the long term health.

Pride doesn’t matter, if they’ve got you over the barrel. Because if you keep your pride you get to keep it in the wastelands while other schools say yes and take our spot.

1 Like

Forgive me if I have forgotten more than I remember about the stories of King David but wasn’t he just a young shepherd when he took down Goliath and later went on to become King? Because then it’s a comparison of a program that doesn’t CONSISTENTLY fill a 40k seat stadium with a young shepherd that has yet to become famous.

2 Likes

Bingo, you beat me to it!!! That uneven sharing is only Big 12 and not for us!

MHver has academic conections and gets his news via those contacts.

He also locked his twitter account so others wont mess with him.

I’m sure there was a town with the “Welcome to” and “Yall come back” signs on the same post. I do remember seeing some sheep as well. The local word was that they were refugees from the College Station area.

1 Like

I will agree. From the SWC to the Big 12-2, UT has always been the big dog and could do whatever it wanted. Walk into the B1G, they can say “look at my athletics, look at my academics!” Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State all say “here, hold my beer.”

UT does have the cache to be a B1G member, but does the B1G want to put up with everything else? The B1G really is a conference in all sense of the word. All athletic members and the University of Chicago are treated as equals academically, which is still an important part of the conference. Athletically, they all have huge budgets and you never hear anything coming out from B1G offices. Look at Rutgers and Maryland, those announcement came out of nowhere.

Now, would we ever get an invite? B1G schools are THE state school and if a second school is from the state, the second biggest. UT and A$M would be comparable. UH would break that mold. We’re working on our academic profile, we have a rock star for a president, we could expand our stadium and have been upgrading our facilities.

P5 invitations are rare. If the SEC took UH and OU, they could lock down East Texas, pretty much anything east of I-35. The PAC-12 is hemorrhaging. They’re like the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. The ACC would be nice, but I look at WVU and the Big 12-2. We would be an island. and every road game is a plane trip with nothing within 500 miles.

Beggars can’t be choosers. Obviously, any P5 invite would be accepted. But the devil is in the details. I would prefer a conference where members are treated as equals, i.e., not Big 12-2, financially and other considerations. But, you take what you can get. Also, I’ve mentioned this earlier - AD’s don’t make decisions on whom to invite into conferences, university presidents do.

1 Like

What is happening inside the offices of the P5 conferences is people are talking about vacation trips this summer. I’d like a pleasant surprise, but don’t expect one.

Hey, they bring that Fort Worth DMA. Actually they had earned it with their on-field performance. Of course that’s not what got Rutgers and Maryland into the Big 10 and not always how it works. We’re well-positioned because we have a huge DMA AND Top 25 programs (assuming football gets there under Holgorsen) in the two major revenue sports.

I dont understand what value TCU brings. Between OU, OSU, UT, BU, and TT, the Big 12 pretty much had the DFW market cornered. It was a surprising decision. Clearly the Big 12 management of the time, which was Chuck Neinas, as acting commissioner, advised by Dodds and Boren, picked TCU over an out of state program.

The main issue UH suffers from (and before anyone attacks me, I dont agree) is that UH is a small player in its home market. UT, A&M, LSU are all seen as having a much bigger share of the Houston market than UH does. UCF/USF suffer from the same impression about the share of their home market.

I did not say that UH should be treated unfairly. I said what if this was the offer. Pac and ACC are 4th and 5th in P5 revenue, their current would look at expansion as a way to earn more revenue. One option they may consider is unequal revenue sharing for new members, or a longer buy in period.

If our position is that we will accept nothing but exactly the same treatment, the we risk (as small as it may be) of getting left out as being difficult to work with.

My feeling is that even with unequal revenue sharing, assuming UH gets a decent share of the revenue, provided the exposure is fair, it may be worth accepting an unequal revenue sharing deal, and work our way up to full revenue by consistently doing well on the field, and make ourselves so valuable to the conference, that it has no choice but to bump UH up to equal shares.

Did you see the crowd and TV ratings for the ‘16 Oklahoma game? We are not a small player in our market. Rice, TSU, and HBU are, not UH. There’s a corollary to that, and that is that we need to be winning and preferably playing big games. It is true that we don’t get the city’s attention when we’re 7-5 and playing Tulsa. But many P5 schools are in the same boat. The TV rating for UH-OU was 12.8. The highest watched game in Houston the previous year was A&M-Alabama. The rating for that game was 8.5. We have everything a P5 conference would want outside of maybe geographical proximity. But even that is becoming less of an issue. Note the Big 12 taking West Virginia, check how close Syracuse and BC are to Miami and Florida State, Washington and Wazzu to Arizona and ASU . . .

3 Likes

I agree that UH-OU was a ratings giant. The problem is that networks are not likely to make a decision to spend millions of $ based on 1 data point. That is why UH needs to play big names more often, build up a history of delivering high ratings. Unfortunately it’s too late to do scheduling for the next 5 years.

Last years USF - UH game was on national tv, USF was on a strong wining streak, and the ratings were not all that good.

I think the next 3-4 years are critical! UH has to show a consistent track record of winning and at least reasonable ratings. Come 2025 that’s what will decide whether UH gets an invite.

7-5 and 6-6 seasons won’t cut! At least 9 wins every year with a couple of bowl wins against P5 programs. Selling out home games will also be an important factor.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Big 12 - WVU thing plays out. Will WVU still be a Big 12 member after 2025. That will tell us all we need to know about “Island” schools working or failing. Personally I am not a fan of Island schools, WVU travel costs are probably at least 2x the travel costs of the other Big 12 schools.

1 Like

I agree with you. But I think implicit in your remarks is the reason UH would be such an asset: we would be playing name teams and getting major exposure and might be in the hunt for the CFP. I also think that would make a huge difference in the casual Houstonian football fan’s view of UH.

1 Like