Facilities update: 08/03/22 - $2 million lead gift to renovate second floor of basketball facility

So the GVL updates, like the locker room upgrade & game room upstairs are happening this summer? Nice

I had the honor to be in a foursome with Tom at a UH golf tournament, actually shared a cart, he voiced several times his disdain for Calipari at Memphis at the time. It was a pleasure riding with him for four hours, we talked about everything, baseball, golf and basketball (and a lot about coach Cal).

6 Likes

Nice.
https://twitter.com/ChrisYBaldwin/status/1554873046804176896

6 Likes

I was just about to type this. All those faces are immediately recognizable on the spot. Pretty good recruiting tool.

1 Like

Along with Quentin and Dot

1 Like

Unfortunately Dot is out of the leauge

1 Like

Coach mentioned on HRR yesterday that they want to change the entry way on the 1st Floor. Currently looks like this:

I would agree. Would love right when you walk in the building, you see Quentin Grimes, Jarace Walker, Marcus Sasser. NBA guys that get recruits attention

Something that pops. Something that shows alot of the recent winning here.

5 Likes

Also mentioned 90% of the work is being done on the 2nd floor

Locker rooms in GVL being upgraded. Mentions Players Lounge & Meal Area. Sounds like those will be upgraded also

CKS mentioned he wants to make upgrades to Fertita Center, but thats in the future, and they have to be patient about. What could that be? :thinking:

Says these current upgrades are about 5M.

Facility upgrades discussion starts (30:10)

anyone able to make it to Sugarland and get anything out of Kellen last night?

Maybe coach wants the cameras switched sides because he consistently is watching game film and sees a bunch of empty seats while the student section is jammed packed. Maybe he also wants center hung scoreboard and added seats, hey more fans the louder FC will get.

1 Like

Let’s let’s get some acoustic panels to make a wall before you enter the seating sections. Really get that loud homecourt advantage. Don’t let the other team hear themselves think. Same for the fans.

My guess is it has something to do with upgrading the player’s locker room. Not sure what else there is to do besides the cameras.

Yes – see here — Coach Kellen @ Ft. Bend UHAA in SL last night

(I had posted this info in the UHAA Thirsty Thursday thread but it seemed ‘lost’ there so I moved it to it’s own thread)

1 Like

Since it’s obvious NIL is the main reason couldn’t that 2 million or some of it be asked to use for nil if it’s donor funded -

I was wondering when facilities will start taking a backseat to collectives. Will players ignore a cool locker room for a if check? In football the facilities still matter since you are truly recruiting the bulk of your team. But basketball? If the money is right they would play in the old hof and practice at the rec center, right?

It may get harder to get facilities money and it may cause a lot of universities to cry poor and really fight the NIL.

So far not the case

When Tilman bought the Rockets he talked about how bad their practice facilities were, but you never hear free agents even mention practice facilities. The Yankees make their players pay for wifi on the team charters.

I see a future where the ADs are going to have to start saying thanks, but can you give us half and put the other half in the collective. Of course not officially. It is going to be interesting.

The difference is the the Rockets pay the players so all bells and whistles don’t matter if the $$ isn’t right. College has fought paying players and have used facilities and everything under the sun to entice players to come to there school.

1 Like

Is that true about the Yankees and the wifi?

Like the A’s and the soda machine.

2 Likes
5 Likes