Feature: Well-Traveled Kelvin Sampson Has Found His Forever Home In Houston

Sampson’s first year at Oklahoma and OU was picked to finish near the bottom of the Big Eight. In February, the Sooners played at No. 2 Kansas and as Sampson bluntly put it, the Jayhawks “effed us. The final score (93-76) did not indicate how that game went.”

Bob Hersom, a veteran sportswriter in Oklahoma, approached Sampson after the game and showed him a list of OU’s remaining games – at Colorado, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma State in Norman, at Iowa State and at Missouri. Every team but Colorado was ranked.

“Kelvin, I don’t think you guys will win another game,” Hersom bluntly pronounced.

For the road trip to Colorado, Sampson was at home and scurrying to find a clean white shirt. His only option was a blue denim shirt with double pockets. “It looked like something you’d wear to a cowboy bar,” he said. “I said, ‘What the hell.’ I threw it in my bag.”

Dear reader, you know what’s coming, right?

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this…great article!

1 Like

Great article. Feels like the program doesn’t get enough coverage. Glad to see more of it lately.

1 Like

So Kellen was part of the convincing for dad to come here? We struck absolute gold with the Sampson family. It’s all of them Lauren is AD material. Price, Bishop, and White are great too something special is here. Here on Cullen. I can’t think about this program for 5 minutes without getting dust in my eyes.

5 Likes