Fire The Fans

You are definitely not one of the group I am referring to. They know who they are.

The problem was the total lack of information. I went over to club to see what could find out about when the game might start and if people could re-enter the stadium. I was told 8 or 9 pm for start time and yes people could re-enter the stadium. Why they did not post this on the scoreboard is beyond me.

7 Likes

Agree. I was looking at the lightning strike map and it had been well over 30 minutes since the last strike closer than 8 miles but they had yet to start the 30 minute clock. They waited nearly another hour before they announced the game would start at 8:20. Most of the concession stands were already closed and the stadium was nearly empty.

Drove from Waco cia Fairfield Texas. Stayed until 5, went to my room on 290& 1960 ( I never stay that far out but alas I did yesterday) put on dry socks , hung out a bit , drove back into the heights grabbed some food , got the Info the game was starting around 8:20, ( I was estimating 9) so i got a to go box , headed back to TDECU drove straight Into the garage and then to my seats . Stayed until the school song was played , got back to my room a bit after midnight. Now I’m headed back to Waco only to do it again next weekend even with lower back pain and other ailments from being overweight, out of shape and in constant pain ! It’s hard cheese being a Coog! So I need some atta boys, pats on the back or other self gratifying acknowledgments.
FYI if you are ever near Hempstead and hankering for a meal I suggest Paradise Breakfast… except I got 2 1/2 more hours to drive now on a full tummy . #gocoogs

8 Likes

:+1: :+1:
You are the kind of fan we need. Making an effort to support the team versus being critical is what we are supposed to do as fans.

Im 73 and drove 3.5 hours from Corpus then back 3.5 hours after the game. Got home at 3:30 after stops

We dont need keyboard warriors

4 Likes

Ok, I’m triggered.
I find it funny that with 200k+ living alumni, or whatever the number is now that as individuals we are somehow accountable for lack of fan support, to the point that we need to make excuses. Please. If I want to go to a game, I will and if I want to do something else, I’ll do that instead. On top of that, if someone should be called out, it’s probably not the few hundred members of a fan board, most of whom have been supporting UH programs for literal decades, including some pretty dark times.

However, I have to say that if what you wanted to do was sit around all night waiting for a game to start, that’s certainly well within your right. If you notice, no one is creating threads about how dumb they think that is.

4 Likes

Personally I couldn’t care less if you ever went to a game. My point is, and I have said it several times, if someone doesnt make an effort to be more supportive of the team (whatever that looks like) then they should not make an effort to criticize.

And if you consider negative comments over and over about the team, the coaches and the administration as support then I can see where your comment is coming from. Do you support the decades old fans that call our coach a drunk? No thank you, who needs them?

You don’t think our fans get criticized? Have you been around the last 35 years?

5 Likes

Much longer than that but not so long on a fan board.

And no, I see a lot more threads about how bad the team, coaches, players, schedule, etc. Perhaps the team should start a board and criticize the fans for making dumb comments about them but they probably have more class for the most part.

I have been coming to games since 1966. . But no one ever gave any word to people in the stands as to how long it was going to be or even if we were close to a game. I stayed for 5+ hours before I left. Red said he was going to stay and I am sure a bunch of others did as well. We would have stayed a little longer if someone had given us any information but since the speaker went silent for 2 hours, we left. And we will be back for the next game and for all the basketball games. I am glad we won.

3 Likes

As far as I know, no one complained about fan support until the 80s. It’s been a consistent complaint since then.

Derek said they were given conflicting info on weather reports. At one point they said 7pm kickoff, then 9 then back to 8. Said coaches were getting frustrated because they couldn’t prepare accordingly.

I have to admit, I would probably have left and caught the game at home had they announced the game was going to be delayed 5 hours. Who knew? I had a long drive ahead of me and had already invested the entire day already. I left the house at 9:30am for this game and was going to get something out of it no matter what.

Glad the team got the W. It was worth the wait.

That was about the time we took our incredible nose dive. I get some fans only want to watch winners and there is more to do in Houston than some of the small towns with a college team. I remember the SWC days and going to the Cotton Bowl. We had lots of fans in the seats. The modern day Coog fan has only seen a few exceptional seasons and mostly an average team. Winning usually solves everything which is why at 6-1 it is puzzling that people continue to post negative comments starting with marginalizing the record by claiming “weak schedule”.

I suppose if someone wants to find a dark cloud everywhere they look then that is an easy thing to do. It is much harder being a positive fan with an average team knowing each game can be a loss but that is who we are. We aren’t Alabama so folks need to get over that and enjoy who we are and what we are doing to improve as a program. I see that headed in the right direction so what have I got to be negative about? Other than the negative posters

I confess we left. At 6 pm we had seen a twitter feed saying the teams were told the game time would be 9 am. At the same time, we were looking at radar forecast that were showing rain clearing at 8:30 - 9 pm but more rain to come. So we weren’t sure they would even get the game in.

Did make it home in Missouri City and found out, again through twitter the game had started. We tuned in at 8:30 pm but had missed a lot of the 1st quarter.

1 Like

Good on you for showing up at all under those marginal conditions and the uncertainty of whether the game would even be played. I dont fault those that left, just the ones that made no effort other than starting today with “how bad we really are” comments.

It started before that. I started attendig UH in 1986. The 1989 and 1990 teams won big. We had poor attendance and were called out for it. It likely kept us out of the Big 12. Lots of people point out how bad our teams were at the end the SWC citing bad timing to keep us out. But they ignore that the decision and announcement came much earlier and we really only had 1 bad season before the decision.

So yes, our fans were being called out even when we were good

1 Like

Stupid even by message board “standards.” I hope you are kidding.

3 Likes

Umm how are you so omniscient to be aware of what effort or not each poster on here made?

Check out from 1980 to 1988. That was the beginning. Three good seasons from 1988-90 then back down the tubes