First commit of 22 is in

Keep on Keep on being naive.

It will serve you well in the future !

I’m not naive. I just said in above post thgs go on. But I don’t throw the $ sign out like you do for every post you make when a Team or Conf is better. Get some sleep.

https://twitter.com/smu247/status/1404486798147997700?s=21

Meanwhile SMU is killing it in recruiting hope they miss out on him

Yup. SMU, UCF, and Cincy have passed us from a recruiting perspective. Again, this isn’t saying we can’t recruit.

Also. Sonny Dykes has wanted our job each time it was available.

6 Likes

You mean passed on our job, his Dad told him to stay away. Another reason i really want to beat SMoooo

Not true. He took over for Dickey who was recruiting very well including 5 star House and other really good players.If House and Young and Thomas along with Chicken we would have been a tourney team right off the bat.
Dickey was let go because he couldn’t coach but he was doing good things on the recruiting trail,
Just like Clyde.
The facilities were bad but folks on this very board complained when Penders talked about rats in the Hof.
Bottom line is Penders was a good coach but our facilities hindered the program greatly
Sampson stepped into a gold mine with we finally decided to upgrade.
Of course UH struck it rich when he came across town to coach!

? What’s not true?

I agree!

@bigmccoog is wrong because those players Butch mentions left UH high & dry just a little after CKS was hired. With the exception of Gallina.

Facilities were awful and the student body/school spirit was the worst during those times. I think UH was still in Conference USA during Dickey years with a weak ooc schedule. It was one of the worst jobs to take. Rice was more appealing then.

1 Like

It was not one of the worst programs in the country. That’s foolish to say. Penders had good teams and Dickey could recruit

Lol. It absolutely was. We went to one tournament in 25 years before Sampson got here. Had some of the worst facilities in the entire country.

And glad you mentioned House and Thomas. FYI, they left.

I remember going to games Sampson’s first year with an entire section to myself.

Ridiculous argument because you obviously can’t decipher my point.
Sampson stepped in to a gold mine when he knew the facilities would be upgraded.
As terrible as our facilities were can you explain to me how Dickey brought in one of the best recruiting classes since Clyde?
We were a solid program under Foster but then slid out of the national limelight when he left.
Penders rejuvenated the program and then Dickey couldn’t coach up the players he recruited.
But go ahead with fantasy rant. Sampson is the best coach we have had since Guy, but he stepped into a very good position and blew up the place.

Ehh . . . Five AAC schools have an average ranking per recruit of 84 or 85—mid-three star—and those schools include UH, Cincinnati, UCF, SMU, and Memphis. I just don’t think the staff really wants to stock up on 20 high school players but rather chooses to bring in roughly two of every three players via the transfer portal with a few jucos mixed in. We should get a good sense this year about whether that strategy is going to pay off.

Lol. Okay. We were a fantastic program. Top 50, for sure.

So, our first commit of '22 pulled the plug. Get used to it. These kids are making business decisions which are complicated by picking their locations and bosses for the next 4 or 5 years. Unless they have a family connection to UH, we are just one more option to consider.

Every other school not named 'Bama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, or Clemson has the same problem we do.

The program really hit a nadir in CKS’s first year, but I pretty much agree that while we were down after Foster left, Penders did a pretty good job and we were a respectable program under him, winning 20+ three times and making the NIT or NCAA Tournament practically half the years he was here. The floor fell out from under us a few years under McCallum and Brooks. But for the most part we were decent after Foster and before CKS.

2011-2013. Had RPIs in the 200s. We were awesome.

Lol

This is why you don’t get “excited” about “commits””.

It means nothing, not worth talking about. LOI’s are headed that way with the “portal”

1 Like

One of the benefits of transfers is their cars are already paid for . . . . .

3 Likes

Those were Dickey seasons, and we were very mediocre. I said that CKS’s first season we were really bad. I’m just saying that we weren’t a terrible program every year from ‘94-‘15. Penders won at least 18 games every year he was here. Brooks finished 2nd in the SWC one season, and even McCallum made the NIT once. I’m not arguing that CKS inherited a warm bed. He got the commitment to facilities and did a miraculous job of building the program one brick at a time. I’m just saying we weren’t god-awful every year of the stretch between Foster and CKS.