First team to ever tank in CFB history

Trust the process

Who wants to lay cash that theyā€™re back? I donā€™t trust unprecedented stuff especially when dad says heā€™s got to be a little selfish sometimes. Is redshirting and coming back being selfish or being a team player?

He has other players riding with him. You think all the players red shirting with him leaving ? I donā€™t think so.

This is a weird example. We won 13 games and went 4-14 in conference the year after House left. Thatā€™s not really addition by subtraction. Not to mention that two years later he was the leading scorer on an Aggie team that won the SEC and got to the Sweet 16.

1 Like

When I hear someone say, ā€œItā€™s not just me, thereā€™s a bunch of other peopleā€¦ā€ it makes me think they donā€™t feel comfortable with their decision.

Itā€™s like calling HR on your boss and saying, ā€œIā€™m not the only one that hates him.ā€

Just stick to your guns and do whatā€™s best. You donā€™t need to rationalize it.

TJ, what I mean is that there were players on the bā€™ball team who were a disruptive influence who had not bought in and were making things for the coaches and players more difficult than needed. Not saying House was not a good player. The trajectory of our Bā€™ball program is way ahead of A&M.

You seem to be giving more credit to Danuel House leaving and not destroying the program like you seem to imply he somehow did at A&M (despite the fact that Billy Kennedy was there for 7 years and House was the leading scorer on his best and his third best teams there) rather than the fact that we replaced James Dickey with Kelvin Sampson. We had four players transfer out during that tenure who went on to start on NCAA tourney teams (not to mention Jaaron Simmons being a reserve on a national finalist and Jonathan Simmons making it to the NBA).

Iā€™m not saying House wasnā€™t disruptive and I have no idea whether he would have been able to buy in under CKS like he would have had to in order to stick around and get minutes. But whatever point you are trying to make by using Houseā€™s departure as an example just really doesnā€™t work, or at least thereā€™s no evidence for it. A&M was worse the year before he got there and worse the year after he left. We were worse the year before he got here and the year after he left as well.

The year before we entered the SWC a number of players took a RS season so they could have one season in the new conference. I think we won like 1 game the year before and of course started the SWC with quite a bang.

1 Like

This ā€œTankingā€ will be known as ā€œThe Houston Ruleā€ if it worksā€¦

1 Like

We won 2 (2-8) that year. Won the first game and the last game. Lost all the rest including one in Tulsa with the Tulsa fans throwing snowballs at the UH team and fans.Yes, I was there and this is a first hand report.

1 Like

Thanks for the recap. Just going off what I remember my dad telling me.

I listened to the talking heads talk about tanking and why shouldnā€™t the rest
of the team take a red shirt, if King is not 100% mentally and physically and he knows
he can do better and get stronger and healthier, it is very mature to say, you know
what, I can do better, I will turn over this team and I will make a go at it next year.

1 Like

Weā€™re attempting to balance the team. Next year defense should be much better but then you have uncertainty at QB. This attempts to fix that whether King is here or not. Itā€™s genius.