First Weekend

UH goes 1-2 against Cal. 23 hits on the weekend with 4 doubles and 1 HR. Hitting .242 as a team.

On the pitching side, staff gave up 27 hits and 19 walks in 27 innings and holds a 5.00 ERA for the weekend. Did not see true freshman Dollar pitch. Thought he was a high recruit with good velocity.

Around the state, notable records:

UT 0-3
Rice 1-2
TXST 3-0
TCU 2-1
Tech 3-0
Baylor 1-2
A&M 3-0
UTSA 2-1

2 Likes

It felt like way more than 19 walks. Throw strikes!

Just as concerning is our lack of base on balls when batting. Did we even have half as many all weekend? Maybe I am wrong but I don’t recall the Coogs working even one walk Friday night. Its college pitchers, be patient like they are with our pitching.

1 Like

Staff also hit 2 batters. Totals to be 21 free passes in 3 games, or 7 per game. Im not sure what a good average is, but Id say around 3 per game. Cal walked 10 and hit 0 batters.

That is probably the difference in being 2-1 vs 1-2 on the weekend. Walked 8 batters in a 5-3 loss on Saturday.

2 Likes

I heard that we averaged around 3.5 walks per nine innings last year and that was in the top quartile.

You left Sam off your list. They went 2-1.

To continue the week: I saw Brad Burckel set the record for consecutive games with a hit at 25 for McNeese tonight. Noticed that Reggie Cherry is on their roster as well.

Pez is pumping out posters saying we had the most “quality walks” of anyone in the nation.

2 Likes

Good to see Central Michigan come down to TX and take 2 of 3 from Baylor.

1 Like

That’s funny :grin:

You can have all the “quality arms” in the world but they still have not invented a defense for walks….and wild pitches are better than a bunt or steal attempt.

1 Like