Football AP Poll for 2022 Season

https://twitter.com/Big12Conference/status/1559261200168386560?t=ID8iGwWvYx6Ab2nmU_vH5w&s=19

Nice of the BIG12 to recognize the New 3 coming in.

13 Likes

I only watch if a new school gets in
 Not watching BAMA, OSU, UGA, Clemson and OU trade spots annually

4 Likes

I’m fully calling it that it was the utsa coach that voted.

1 Like

I think we could make the CFP, but need to donkey stomp teams like the 80’s Miami teams. Especially the BIG12 opponents, which will have conference mates in the top 25 to get us relative comps. If we go 13-0, then we will have one hell of a season and let the chips fall where they may. That would then dovetail into an amazing basketball season. We should not get caught up in the what-ifs, but enjoy the next 7-8 months because they should be fun with a few ups and downs.

4 Likes

So
 See you at the CFP
 Got it.

Go Coogs!

It’s a good question and one we UH fans won’t have to ponder after this year haha.

You would 1) need a big win, 2) have no more than 3 P5 teams go undefeated, and 3) run the table, and then you would have a case to be in the playoffs if not get the nod.

Cincinnati got that winning at #9 Notre Dame in week 4. Even if they were ranked 24th in the pre-season poll, the AP voters would’ve shot them up after that win, and they would’ve climbed to the top 4, imo, even with their other cupcake non-conference schedule (Miami OH, Murray St, Indiana).

Let’s look at Houston’s last four big AP runs and their chances of a playoff using just AP Poll data pre-playoff in 2014.

2009 - ranked 47th in preseason AP poll , won at #5 Ok St, and rose to 21st next week. Got to 17th after a bye, and then to 12th after beating TX Tech, and then UTEP ugh. Had UH run the table, they’d be in the running with undefeated #3 TCU (MT West) and #4 Cincinnati (Big East) to get a spot.

2011 - 36th in preseason AP poll. Despite a win in the opener vs UCLA, UH didn’t get ranked until their 6th win - starting out at 21st. They run the CUSA table and sit at #7 before Sumlin’s treachery. This year LSU was the only undefeated team with one-loss Stanford being 4th ranked. 12-1 Stanford probably gets selected with 3 ranked wins, compared to 13-0 Houston with only two ‘shiny’ wins, UCLA and #24 So Miss.

2015 - No preseason votes received so at best 44th ranked. They finally get votes after 2 wins starting at 34th rank. After 5 wins Houston appears at 24th. After going 10-0, they get to 13th ranking, and then Uconn blecch. Clemson is the only undefeated team. For a 13-0 UH, there would’ve been a case to be made with 3 wins over ranked AAC teams plus the win at ACC Louisville, but sadly actual #4 blue blood OU keeps the invite with 2 top-10 wins and only loss being vs Texas.

2016 - 15th in preseason poll. Beat #3 OU in Reliant and shoots up to #6 and remain there until the Navy game (stupid Hurricane Matthew :angry:). This is an almost gauranteed playoff appearance year for Houston with two wins against #3 ranked teams - OU and Louisville. Even though actual #4 Washington had 3 good Pac10 ranked wins, those foes were all ranked below 20, and UW got manhandled by USC for their loss

Chances for Playoff for UH:
Likely- 2016 - preseason ranked 15th
Probably - 2009 - preseason 47th
Probably Not - 2011 - preseason 36th
Doubtful - 2015 - preseason 44th (or lower)

This was what I was responding to. “How much does a preseason ranking impact the chance of a G5 getting into the CFP?”
My response was, “not at all. The coaches and AP dont decide who is in”.

Not sure of the confusion. I certainly know the difference between the AP and the CFP. I was saying the AP nor the coaches poll ranking either now or later in the season get us into the CFP.

First time I can recall, post SWC, where we start out the year ranked well with lots of positive talk and don’t hear it followed up with comments/speculation about the coach being poached.

10 Likes

I still think Cincy doesn’t make it if they were ranked in the teens preseason.

@ 1:26
#4 New Big 12 Teams Might Be A Little Low

Underrated: Houston (No. 24)

4 Likes

UH will have 16 after this season.

4 Likes

Our bad stretch killed us.

2 Likes

We should have 17, 2009 and 2016 were great and memorable seasons that tailed off late.

1 Like