Football Seating Proposal/Idea

Here’s an idea for discussion: (the basis for this proposal is based on the premise that the capacity is limited to 25% for live sporting events, i.e. 10k for TDECU.)

Limit tickets to season ticket holders only.

Allow the ticket office to reassign our seats FOR ONE SEASON ONLY. Assign the tickets based on Cougar Pride points—just like they would do for a bowl game or basketball tournament game.

They would have to solicit input from the season ticket holders as to which groups of other ticket holders you are willing to sit with. For example, I’m OK sitting with my family even though we all have our own separate ticket accounts.

Let the ticket office space out the ‘groups’ throughout the stadium. Say three seats between groups and every other row. Mark off the seats that are unavailable so the ushers can enforce.

The club would have to close. Maybe have to discount or refund some money to club ticket holders. Allow fans to bring in their own water bottles and snacks.

That would mean that I would not sit in my preassigned seat, and some would have to move into the third level, but I’d be willing to do that for one season if it mean we could watch our Coogs live.

Masks mandatory.

As to tailgating. Unknown? Probably no tailgating.

1 Like

There are a lot of folks that feel obligated to buy tickets every year for college football that are going to realize a number of things this season watching from home.

1. Bathrooms at home are nice.
  2. Internet works at home.
  3. You can watch other games in AC.
  4. Food is so much better.
  5. Traffic is nonexistent.
  6. After the game is over your day can continue.
  7. Hard to get sunburnt in your living room.
  8. Hard to get rained on in your living room.
  9. Customer service is better at home.
  10. You can park right near your tv in your garage or driveway.
  11. Food is so much less expensive.

This is going to hurt for awhile.

3 Likes

Also mandatory masks on the visitor side of TDECU for an 11 am September game should be comfortable.

I’d say our recent attendance makes it pretty obvious that most people already realize those things.

Put a compelling team on the field, and the negative long term effects disappear. Mediocrity will result in people having something else to blame on skipping games.

2 Likes

I was thinking along same line. Season ticket holders by points. Maybe offer one time chance to donate to cougar pride. Something like 75% existing CP and 25% one time donation is your “score” for seating.

The games will feel like a spring game.

1 Like

i am buying tickets for my wife and myself. Stay at home if you want to. Your decision. But 10k in TECU is not social distancing, It is way beyond it. And why close the club, Those staying in the club would be more easily isolated from those outside the club areas. I am thinking 12 to 15 K including students and the band. Speaking of which how is the band going to work with social distancing guidelines and mask?

2 Likes

This thing spreads worse indoors. If the club is open, it will be very limited. I can’t imagine alcohol will be good for physical distancing either.

They will probably try to spread the band out.

I was under the impression to liquor killed germs not help them to multiply.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that’s sarcasm?

I agree with Sidelines. If attendance is limited in any way, it is only logical that season ticket holders come first. His other ideas sound logical as well.

1 Like

It can also help get season tickets to a relatively reasonable number. I was worried about season tickets even before the dragons arrived.

Run for your lives !

Dragons?

If capacity limits are set as a percentage (25% capacity for example), how many season ticket holders does UH have currently?

Also what percentage of those should be allocated to student seating? Students are the future season ticket holders and donors.

Last I heard, we had dropped back down around 15k season ticket holders.

If they limit to 25% capacity, then not all get in with 15k.

I wonder if there could be some form of splitting the games. 3 games for half the season ticket holders and 3 games for the other half. With students making up the 2500 difference.

Hopefully the virus dies down with no resurgence and we can get at least 50% if not full seating.

The OP suggests a reseating (temporary of course), but I am curious, as when I go to games it is to see the game and to visit with friends around me. That could be a logistical nightmare to match up groups with that condition added in.

Not all season ticket holders go to games even when there is no pandemic…

2 Likes

If I’m paying for season tickets, I’m not going to sit at the top just to social distance.

4 Likes

With no students on campus, I highly doubt the students will show up to games. I seriously think the place will be similar to a library on Saturday mornings.