Four Pac-10 Schools to Join Big 12 speculation

My wife is from Albuquerque and we visit 3-4 times a year. We were on UNM campus a couple of weeks ago and sat in one of the grass areas. It was perfect weather.

1 Like

New Mexico is a beautiful, dynamic and growing state. I see no reason why their state universities couldn’t have football programs that are competitive other than the lack of will.

A fraternity brother of mine went to law school at New Mexico and has lived in Albuquerque for decades now.

Has had a good career as an appellate lawyer.

1 Like

It’s a very poor state for high school football. In the’22 class, UNM only signed four of their 24 recruits from New Mexico. The year before, they only signed two from the home state.

It is interesting to discuss the University of New Mexico
as much as it is interesting to discuss the University of Timbuktu.

We spend way too much time discussing the potential of this, that or the other university playing big time football when we are still and always will be in a life and death struggle of of own.

I don’t think about all the good news at UH over the last decade, I am always worried about the storm cloud approaching us. I have no idea what the storm cloud is but there is always one.

Perhaps I am the biggest pessimist on the board. But I am the kind of person that gets worried getting off elevators not on them.

To show my comradeship with everyone else here, I am glad University of New Mexico has a nice lawn. I wouldn’t sit on it, I would get stung by a scorpion or something.

My wife is in New Mexico right now. A small hospital about two hours out of Albuqueque. Been going on trips out there for the last three or so years. Our little girl thought that “Albuqueque” was the most fun thing in the world to say.

1 Like

Happy to talk about whatever aspect of Coog football you want, man. I think right now we’re doing a lot of killing time before the season starts. Or at least waiting until the next tidbit about realignment. The Master Thread on realignment hasn’t been updated in almost a day, which has to be a record. So we talk about New Mexico or Northwestern uniforms or whatever.

1 Like

Well, talk has cooled down until the next move. And like the others, it’ll take us all by surprise, whether on Monday or in three years.

The B1G will announce its TV deal. That’ll give us stuff to talk about.

Then Notre Dame will, and we’ll talk even more.

Then the Pac-12 eventually, and the potential fallout from that. Who knows when that happens, but when it does we will be ON IT!

1 Like

They filmed some of Stranger Things 4 there. The roller rink scene was filmed about 10 minutes from where my wife grew up. We. Took the kids there and they were in heaven.

2 Likes

I lived in New Mexico for 18 years. My son went to UNM.

When Rocky Long was the Lobos coach they had good teams. In 2003 they drew 44,000 for their N.M. State game.

In 2004 Mike Leach and Texas Tech came to Lobo Stadium. Another 44,000 crowd. And The Lobos won.

The Lobos could have a good program again.And their Stadium is same size as ours. Sitting in it you can see The Sanger de Cristo mountain range, which has a fantastic Tram ride to its peak. And there is a nice restaurant and Bar at the Tram lift’s destination. Incredible views of Albuquerque.

No, am not predicting that UNM will join our Big 12. But that area has great charms. SWA flies there from Houston every day.

5 Likes

The Rocky Long firing goes in the annals of poor personnel management.

https://twitter.com/trumwill/status/916868271974047744

In 2019 Long resigned as the head coach at SDSU and took the defensive coordinator job at UNM. Just amazing loyalty.

1 Like

New Mexico is a very poor state. Poor folks have poor ways.

3 Likes

You are not compelled to join in or read what others post. After all, it is our time to waste.

2 Likes

So is Louisiana which is why they have tons of LSI fans but an embarrassingly low Endowment for their size/importance and a University that relies on the Athletics program to bail them out.

None of their t-shirt fans actually contribute to the University because they have no money

My point is not about writing or reading post obviously I am a wiling participant.

My point is that we are climbing up the mountain and the ropes or D-Rings or whatever they called (because it is certainly not my activity) can only hold us.

IMO the biggest fish the Big 12 ought to try to catch are Oregon and Washington, but if the Big 12 can get the 4 corner schools the PAC ceases to exist. If one domino will fall surely more will.

Thought we were waiting on Yormark to get his feet on the ground before a big announcement, was hoping for this week.

You even say it’s a maybe that the PAC will fall. So why dilute the big 12 just for a maybe?

EXPOSURE on the west coast.