Free Speech

I know we have many viewpoints on free speech , but I would like
to hear our community’s thoughts on the fellow addressing elementary
and middle age students. Okay, not okay, harassment , within his rights, etc ?

It’s a 1:51 second video if you care to take a look and comment.

He is a crazy man. Anyone yelling at children needs a psych eval.

When I am downtown I always see the same lady and she yells insults at me. I try to tell my wife, I am just here to go to lunch with you. That seems to work.

4 Likes

So to me it looks like this, I’m terms of the first amendment. Where the government cannot punish you for the things you say he’s within his rights. Clearly he’s on private property so if security wants to force him to leave it call the police for trespassing that’s well within their rights. Harassment laws are a local thing but if they have them he’s probably at least brushing up against them.

Finally personal opinion, is this guy is a bully and coward to go after kids who obviously can’t physically deal with him. Rest assured if these were big high school kids, or a rough equivalent he’d be screaming across the street at them or wearing his stupid little shirt and keeping his mouth shut. Or whine about being a victim after he picked a fight and got his butt kicked. He’s on video so hopefully the Capitalist system works and he is determined to be no longer a profitable asset to the company and fired in humiliating fashion.

He’s getting in the kids’ personal space and insulting them and trying to be intimidating. He’s mentally ill. Who does that to kids?

1 Like

No freedom is absolute.

No one has freedom from (legal or illegal) repercussions to dangerous (legal or illegal) behavior.

The thread title is about free speech right?
Feel free to comment:

1 Like

So does anyone’s opinion change if he was doing the exact same thing but the message was to put on a mask?

Nope yelling at people, dismissing, and confronting with evidence (credible or not) tends to drive a person deeper into their belief systems.

For me no; if he is running after kids on their way to or from school and yelling at them to mask up and telling them they are going to die or kill grandma if they don’t. It’s just not right.

I’m not sure free speech gives you the right to confront children in public to force your
speech on them. As was pointed out, going after children this way seems like a bully or
cowardly tactic no matter what your message is - pro vax, anti vax, pro mask, anti mask or whatever.

Just amazes me someone like this , goes thru the trouble of printing up a shirt, and is so adamant
about his opinion , that he would think this is a good idea to demonstrate his ideas and beliefs
this way. Should a person like this even have the right to drive a car, own a gun, etc

We’re are the adults to kick this guy’s arse?

What if he is on public property, say streets and sidewalks , does that change anything ?
Is he still within his first amendment rights to share his views with the kids ?

Really would like to see how uhlaw97 sees this as well, as I know he believes in almost unlimited free speech ? For the sake of discussion, let’s assume the guy isn’t “crazy”, but just really upset that his kids have to wear a mask at school.

If anyone cares, I kinda see it as johnnycougar put it “ No freedom is absolute” or I might add
unlimited.

So based on the video, if he was on the sidewalk, yeah he’s probably within constitutional bounds depending on local laws on harassment. The police/government would be limited.

Now I’m sure if he gets fired from his job, loses business if he’s a business owner, etc. He will immediately screech “Muh freedom of speech is being taken away! I’m being cancelled! Wah! First Amendment is dead.” When in reality it has nothing to do with the First Amendment and everything to do with the consequences of his own actions.

That decision not to arrest him or prosecute I guarantee was made by a prosecutor who decided there is no violation of law. With that said, free is not free speech, there is nothing and I mean nothing free in this world, there is always a cost. Just like there is one for shouting out fire in a crowded movie house, when there is none. Also this guy needs a visit from a mental crisis unit, to see what his problem is and maybe have him committed for observation and evaluation to see if a danger to others and self. We are creating a generation of young people who will be adults someday who may have mental issues themselves because of miscreants like this fellow in the video pouring out his venom on them

Gang,

In the Texas Penal Code, there is a “Disorderly Conduct” statute.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/pe/htm/pe.42.htm

Quote: Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

(2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

(3) creates, by chemical means, a noxious and unreasonable odor in a public place;

(4) abuses or threatens a person in a public place in an obviously offensive manner;

Going further down…

(a-1) For purposes of Subsection (a), the term “public place” includes a public school campus or the school grounds on which a public school is located.

Granted, this is only a Class C misdemeanor, so it’s on the same level as a traffic ticket and subject to ONLY a fine as punishment.

That said, it is an ARRESTABLE offense. If cops in TX see this guy doing this, he can be arrested for it and jailed overnight.

After that, he’s entitled to a jury trial if he wants to try and fight a conviction and avoid a fine.

3 Likes

Here’s what free speech is. You can say whatever you want wherever and whenever BUT there are consequences to what you say. That doesn’t stop it from being free speech. BCP is right, there is nothing free in this world. Free speech just makes it obvious not everyone shares your opinion. This dude if he has been doing it for months should have had police involved since the first incident. I seriously hope he doesn’t have children as he stated.

1 Like

Disorderly conduct is not free speech. The same can be said when Kirsten Sinema is followed into the bathroom by a man and two ladies.

1 Like

Kat Williams had a joke about the quietest person in the room is usually the most dangerous. Rather good advice.

I think of the more immenent consequences, like getting smacked around when you shoulda minded your business. A lot of people went through life without having a good ole knuckle sandwich. Taught me to not get blackout drunk… lol

2 Likes