Free throws

Made a comment on here a few weeks ago about concerns at crunch time with our big men being horrible at the line. A few on here made comments that our big men wouldn’t have the ball at crunch time or if they did they would just being dunking it (ehog). Well it’s just one game but tonight is a PERFECT example of why the concern is valid. Missed shot, great that Roberts got the rebound, but he’s fouled snd then he shoots his typical line drive FT and misses (and Roberts is WAY better at the line then Francis + Tugler).

This is going away and it’s a HUGE weakness!!

2 Likes

This isn’t going away

We have not been a good free throw shooting team in years nothing new

2 Likes

TCU also missed plenty but the one we missed hurt a lot. Reminded me of a missed ft against Michigan. You have to have em.

2 Likes

This is nothing new. Sampson is a great coach but he can’t coach free throws worth crap. We got away with it AAC. It won’t work in big12.

1 Like

TCU shot 55% on FTs and won.

13 Likes

Exactly. The FT coaching geniuses leave that out. Morons

5 Likes

Gotta hit them in crunch (not as much time after to adjust / make up for your failure) - amazing how horizontal that ft was.

2 Likes

TCU shot 40% on FTs in the last 5 minutes including missing 3 front ends of 1 and 1s.

1 Like

Don’t tell the FT coaches, they know all we need is 7 footer and a team full of players that shoot 99% from the line. If only Sampson knew what he was doing…,

7 Likes

We do need better FT shooting, but our opponents have found a way to win without it

2 Likes

Obviously a very sensitive subject. Im not sure of all the posting history. I don’t need 99% but 69% might help

1 Like

This is NOT about TCU. So they sucked at the line which kept us in the game but when we needed to knock down FT to have a chance to go by three Roberts misses.

2 Likes

69.2% tonight

1 Like

Those missed FTs may have sealed the game but it’s not why we lost. 22% from 3 was a much bigger problem. 25 minutes into the game our 3pt % was 8.

5 Likes

Ok so they barely cleared my sarcasticly low threshold for the game :grinning:. I was sarcastically referring to season tho.

2 Likes

AND your point is?
It does not work out that way. Our players have to improve at FT’s. There is no question about it.
I love CKS but I have pointed this out since he got here.
Bad FT shooting and unable to recruit a 7’ to fit his system.
Recruit a 7’ to fit his system? There are out there but I trust CKS on what is best for his system.
Regarding FT’s I am sorry but this is on his entire coaching staff. Is the coaching staff limited on time to improve FT shooting? We/I have no clues but making FT’s is an essential part of the game.
Check out this years FT’s stats:

Let’s look at our team:

Purdue:

Kansas:

UConn:

Tenn

UK

NC

UA

okie

Ilini

I stopped with the first 10 ranked teams:
Guess what?
We are dead last and this is not even close. Our average?
66.8%

3 Likes

This. While botching the 1-1 is an eyesore, we would be dribbling the last few seconds off the clock had we made just a quarter of the wide open 3s we clanked today

1 Like

Purdue had a 7 footer and lost to a 16 seed.

Just shut up with the stupid 7 footer talk. So annoying

1 Like

Kinda seems like we did dribble out the last few seconds (except we were down)

3 Likes