Fritz on the defensive struggles: "That's the way this sport is"

@uhredcat96 there was a specific sequence where it was it was 2nd down & 20.

And Georgia Southern got 10+ yrd gains on back to back plays to pick up a 1st down

The same issue vs Texas Tech. Where Tech was getting big yardage on 3rd down

Thats a problem. Can it be fixed? We’ll see.

I’m concerned, but not losing my mind over our defense

2 Likes

I thought our defense played well vs tech . It could have just been mental bc playing defense takes way more mental focus than offense. It’s why upsets happen. Michigan is loaded with talent but barely beat western Michigan.

But they didn’t. Michigan is 2-2 on the season. :wink:

3 Likes

I see so many of the same mistakes by defensive players this year. Mostly teachable but it feels like there’s something more at the core.

I feel like it is on the field leadership missing that was there last year.

I don’t see any players getting on the guys screwing up on the field. Too much passive leadership.

Is anyone aware of team defensive team captain(s) lost last year?

I know HCWF isn’t going to just roll with this.

Hope am not mistaken, but I saw Jordan Allen, jump on Will James for missing back to back tackles in the Tech game. He was out of control in his technique. Same stuff as last season which is disappointing.

Edited:

1 Like

Clay or Kim?

Even better…

Best…

4 Likes

I didn’t care for Kim. He left our program in bad shape. He couldn’t recruit Texas. He tried Florida route

1 Like

Helton complained to the refs after EVERY call.

He set this program back so far it took a decade to get back to being respectable on the field.

3 Likes

Ya know, there are moments when I feel CWF might be in over his head at the P4 level…ik he’s won everywhere he’s been, but sometimes I’m like :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I remember we recruited Canadians.

His assistant I knew best was Danny Palmer. He left UH when Helton was fired and had a good career as HC at Tyler Junior College.

Update: Palmer is now DC at Blinn JC

“During his time with Houston, Palmer played a role in signing 64 players, 16 of which went on to play in the NFL.”

1 Like

2025

10-3 - a 6 game improvement over 2024 when he was left with nothing.

… and a Win in the Texas Bowl over LSU.

2026

3-1 with a 2 point loss to defending conference champs, Texas Tech, at their place.

Count your blessings!

13 Likes

This is true.

I do not blame the HC/man. He should have never been hired in the first place. The ones you can point fingers are:
Our then administration. It is a fact that they wanted to kill our football program. Mrs. Barnett was taken way too soon by cancer in 1992 but her entire team could care less about UH sports. When you think that the state of Texas oversees Texas universities leaderships it explains how much they thought of UH. Then they got Pickering that devastated our football program. He got Carr in 1993. Please read his wiki page:

Our own administration torpedoed its own/our very own sports program. This would have never happened at other universities. smu in contrast hired NU’s A.D.'s where he did a great job.
HCWF saying is golden:
“Coogs do not beat the Coogs”
Yes, the State of Texas looks over its Texas Universities leaderships. Which Texas Governor choose pickering? Asking it this way. Which Texas Governor was in office then…None other than Ann Richards.

Edit:
Pickering


Really?

LOL, some of y’all sound like Aggies…he’s 14-4 in last 2 seasons

3 Likes

I remember when Helton got the extenstion, even Carr (or whoever announced it that night) called it a gamble at the yearly banquet. It was a disaster.

I was at his last game, it was at West Point. I’m pretty sure Chet Gladchuck had his pink slip signed and ready, just waiting for the season to officially end.

It was a “gamble” with almost no upside. :neutral_face:

I liked Heton off the field, but even I was ready for a change. We were supposed to hire Bob Pruett from Marshall. That fell through. Word I got was Pruett’s wife didn’t want him to take the job.

I think Chet went into panic mode after that and hired Dana Dimel. Wyoming fans were on our message boards laughing and thanking us. The only other time I saw fans so glad we got their coach was when we hired Dana Holgorsen from WVU.

4 Likes

One word CF. Pickering set our university backwards and caused historical damages.
We all have to keep in mind that John Moores gave us $51M’s.
How was the money earmarked? The School of music and the Athletic building used the money. This entire 1992 to 1996 period was more shady than a Scorcese movie. No one came forward to explain how much of a CF this was. Again Gov Anne Richards was supposed to be overseeing all public universities leaderships. She clearly could care less of what was going on Calhoun. Was that orchestrated on purpose? No one will never know but what came shortly after smells too much like this was “just” terrible management.

1 Like

Ole prune face. She buried UH for Baylor to get into B12. Also promised everyone the lotto would go into education lol