From a Tech Hoops Guy

That was a fun article to read. A lot of very interesting old facts that I didn’t know about. Sure would love to see a re-air on YouTube of that infamous game if anyone has seen it.

2 Likes

The game was on TVS, “America’s #1 Network for College Basketball”. If I am not mistaken, Harry Kalas had the call that day.

A lot of loud games at the Hof and this was one of the loudest.
Some of the Aggie and Horn games got pretty loud but I’m thinking when we beat No.1 Arkansas here when they had the 3 Musketeers was the absolute loudest.
I remember when the Coogs went on a rampage in the second half It got so loud my two young brother in laws had to stick their fingers in their ears to block the noise.
Ironically we also upset the Hogs in the SWC tourney at the Summit on a dramatic last second shot by Cecil Rose. That place went crazy also. Great memories!

5 Likes

What year was that?

I really wish I had been around for the SWC days. I just turned 40 this year, so my earliest memories of Dream are all Rockets. I wish we still had those kinds of rivalries in place.

You was about 15 years old when UH played the last SWC game against Rice in 1995. When did you become a cougar fan?

I was at that game where Cecil Rose hit that shot…will never forget it. That game was second only to the Dome game in the rank of most memorable that I attended.

1 Like

To use Kelvin’s analogy about climbing the hill, that team reached their “top” with that game. The next week they got rolled by Notre Dame in the first round at Tulsa

That was brutal. The Irish just hammered us!

That was the game where Leonard Mitchell demolished the great Kelly Tripucka while he was trying to shoot.

Not until late high school when I decided I wanted to go to UH. Around 1997.

1 Like