Game 35: #16 Northern Kentucky vs #1 Houston - NCAA Tournament - March 16th, 2023 - 8:20 pm CST - TNT (W 63-52)

Agreed. This is why I thought we should prepare for this first game without him. When he went out tonight, the team really struggled for a while.

3 Likes

Did you watch the game? It took a huge effort to win this game. Turned out this one was no gimme and we certainly needed Sasser,
It’s a good thing Sharp finally cut loose with 10 points

4 Likes

Exactly

It is a dickish take. No question about it.

2 Likes

I felt like we should have gone to Walker more in the 2nd half. He had a great game and they didn’t have an answer for him

1 Like

According to theScore app, Jim Nantz will be calling our game.

2 Likes

i think we tried and that was the game plan
 half our turnovers were overshooting walker on passers

i think the design was to go to walker. we just couldnt execute it well

1 Like

We made it hard on ourselves with those turnovers, a continuation from the Memphis game. Sasser’s injury has somehow discombobulated ( wanted to use that word) our offense.

2 Likes
  • One thing we can’t do is trap ourselves. During this game and the road game against Memphis we trapped ourselves. Tonight Shead and Tramon would get the ball inbounded and bring it up on the left corner. You pretty much trap yourself with two more defenders in the out of bounds line. This is something simple which will help us not get us in some turnover trouble

*we have a lack of defensive intensity. We looked like we were going through the motion. When Roberts and Shead trapped in the corner in the second half(which Roberts was slow to), there was no pressure to deny the ball. Walker should’ve had his hand up denying his man a pass and force them the make a cross court pass. He didn’t and didn’t even put much pressure on ball when he caught it and allowed the NKU player to have time and feel comfortable to make a pass and then they hit a 3.

1 Like

Without Sasser, our chances to beat Auburn is problematic.

1 Like

Their zone seemed weird, I don’t know basketball very well, was it weird? Kind of like a triple option in football, you won’t see it more than once a year.

1 Like

UH has 48 hours to get Shead ready. Sampson should tell his guys who will start Saturday right now so everybody knows what to expect and get themselves ready. Today Sasser’s status was a distraction that was unnecessary.

1 Like

We should have scored a lot more inside.
We played bad against a bad team and survived. We move on and pray for Shead to play Saturday. Hopefully Sasser too, but without at least one playing we are toast.

J’Wan Roberts had an awesome game tonight. 11 points, 12 rebounds (5 offensive), 4 assists, 1 block, and only 1 foul and 1 turnover.

Jarace Walker had 16 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks, 1 foul, and 3 turnovers.

I don’t think we are toast without Sasser, but we can’t lose him and Shead. But without both him we will have a very hard time getting past Auburn; but I think we can if the other guys step up we can get it done. We need to be much more focused than we were tonight.

2 Likes

Sasser only had 5 points and 2 rebounds in 14 minutes, along with sub par defense due to groin.
We won by 11.

I had posted here a couple of days ago we should only use him for a few relaxed minutes in the 2nd half as a warm up to the next game.
Hope we can get more miracles. :pray:

They were selling out and playing an aggressive zone. UH did not respond well to it. We should have exploited it easily, but it made Shead and Mark very uncomfortable.

1 Like

Yes! We should have anticipated Sasser’s groin injury!

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Was that just a bad combo with our tempo offense? Had we pushed tempo more would we have broken the zone?

I thought that a number of those offensive rebounds they got were more because they were long-range shots that caromed far off the rim more than our guys just getting beat down low. Can’t box out at 15 feet.

5 Likes

If we don’t have Sasser and Shead, we’re going to need a historical game from the bench.

1 Like