Game 35: #16 Northern Kentucky vs #1 Houston - NCAA Tournament - March 16th, 2023 - 8:20 pm CST - TNT (W 63-52)

if both dont play we are in Big TROUBLE… we only have 3 rotation guards without shead… meaning jarace has to play the 3… or elvin is getting a ton of minutes

1 Like

Sasser played 14 minutes before limping off. Thank goodness Sharp scored 10 points and we broke open a close game late with Shead hobbling.
You don’t sit your best player when he wants to play and the doctors are ok with it.

1 Like

Postgame comments

Jwan Roberts and Coach

5 Likes

If Sasser can’t go I hope Sampson knows soon, so he can name another starter for Saturday. Personally, I like the idea of starting and giving significant minutes to Sharp. He certainly lived up to the moment tonight.

1 Like

Takeaways from Thursday’s NCAA tournament games

Sasser injury hangs over Houston win

It wasn’t the most comfortable victory for Houston, but the top-ranked Cougars held on and survived against No. 16 Northern Kentucky on Thursday. One thing was clear despite the win; it might be a short tournament for the top seed in the Midwest if Marcus Sasser can’t play Saturday against Auburn. The Cougars’ leading scorer aggravated a groin injury he suffered in last weekend’s AAC Tournament and didn’t play in the second half. The Houston offense looked very disjointed without Sasser, struggling to just 63 points for the game.

I can’t believe how many easy a$$ rebounds we let NKU have…

We haven’t boxed out great all year… WE HAVE TO cut out the turnovers and put a body on the AU players if we’re going to win without Sasser.

2 Likes

We’ve looked unrecognizable in general since the ECU game last week. Compounded with our 2 guards going into Saturday compromised it’s kinda looking bleak :upside_down_face:

35 foot shots make 15 foot rebounds… Auburn won’t be tossing it from the logo every possession.

3 Likes

Probably. We were to passive on the offensive end. Multiple times NKU had 3 or 4 cramming the top of the key and our guys scrambled instead of finding an open man.

2 Likes

No… We lost many in the paint… Especially to #2

That doesn’t bother me, Elvin is our key to victory.

2 Likes

“i told sasser to just rest it” samspon on what he told sasser at half
“he didnt reagrivate it, sasser just said it felt funny”

meaning sasser probably could have kept going… id still put him at unlikely but not as unlikely as i thought before watching that

4 Likes

Sasser said it was at a 7 wrt pain level…

Sampson also said what we could all see - Marcus wasn’t at 100%. That might be OK if we want him to stand around and take pass-out 3s, but his defense just isn’t going to be the same.

5 Likes

This thread should be burned and some of you should voluntarily jump in said fire to sacrifice yourselves for Saturday’s game.

3 Likes

Sampson said it best in the interview after the game. We’re not the #1 team in the country w/o Sasser and Shead hobbling around. We’ll be major underdogs this Saturday.

Don’t pick up you dribble unless you are going to shoot or pass it.

1 Like

Making TikToks