Game 6 review

Alright lets hear them…

Ugly game but I’ll take a win every time

5 Likes

turnovers…not much else to say

1 Like

Sass = paving the road to 1st Team All American and National Player Of The Year brick by brick.

The rest ? A win is a win and Norfolk is next.

1 Like

I was thinking that if Kent St hits a 3, we were doomed…and they did.

So thrilled to see the Coogs switch to killer mode to take back the lead and win the game.

6 Likes

They played like us. We may see them down the road when we are much improved I imagine

Sasser and Shead did their thing as did Tramon.

J’wan Roberts had an excellent game and Chaney made some great plays but was put in a couple of awkward situations after looking like a guard for a stint. He made a few strong plays in the paint on O and had some D plays.

I see another thread on Arceneaux / Ramon and wonder in this contentious style that Ramon may have better… tough call imo.

Maybe Coach was playing matchups there not sure.

2 Likes

Sasser could not hit the 3’s as I think I see a trend on scrappy games like this. Of course they put the most tenacious defender on him and Shead.

Both of those gentlemen however find a way to contribute to a win in one way or another. Both seem to “slice and dice” toward and in the paint more when the threes aren’t dropping and draw fouls and do more assists and mid range and drives to the basket.

1 Like

Honestly gotta rewatch the game again to give a more balanced take

Cause my take is Shead, Sasser, Mark lineup needs to be tweaked

Cause Mark, Shead and Jwan are all inside the arc players. Gonna be easier for teams to clog the middle against us.

2 Likes

I agree unless Walker becomes a reliable spacer. The offensive spacing is not great right now and the paint is clogged.

1 Like

Heres another “hot” take. A Marcus Sasser iso for a 3, right now is not good offense

I know the whole team offensively was struggling, but how about a mid range jumper from Sasser, at times when we need a bucket, instead of a contested 3

I know, im not a coach or player. But at times i think Sasser is settling for a Dame Lilliard deep 3

Instead of going for a single like CKS says. Not just this game. What ive seen thru 6 games.

Defensively, tough as usual. And sometimes i can overlook that. But every big name guard we have faced, we aim to shut them down. Which i love from this team

4 Likes

A WIN IS A WIN! 6-0!

4 Likes

Hopefully we’re still in the top 25.

14 Likes

I just hope our guys survive the next practice. CKS has to be fuming about the turnovers. At least half of those turnovers we just fumbled right into their hands without them even trying to steal it. What a blessing to win a game like that!

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1596622426640912384

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1596623460209496065

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1596624190177968130

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1596625823062265856

https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/1596627359276597249

https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/1596628448155688960

12 Likes

How does everyone feel about the frontcourt play? Roberts has been the only consistent big man this year.

1 Like

regular notice will have some negatives … so prep yourself

the negatives

• Between the oregon and this game its becoming obvious the jarace/roberts lineup is one of our worst defensive lineups vs anyone with a post offense, kent state 2 stretches where at the starts of halfs when we had both in… i think sampson noticed aswell, we did not use that lineup after the 2nd run to start the 2nd half … which bring into question how do we maximize using both players.

• im about to be killed all here for saying this… sasser has been playing good this year but he hasnt played like an all-american, or close and is playing his way out of the draft… after this game he will be 24% from 3 this season (context that is horrendous)… it’s also been sad to see it only takes 1 decent defender to take him out of the half court offense … i expected him to be at a level you needed a great defender and help to guard him, that really isnt the case… he hasnt shown takeover ability this year… which is odd as he did so last year

• jwan and jarace are sloppy with the passes, they occasional make a spectacular pass, but ive gotten to a point i dont even want to see them attempt it unless we are up big… the turnover risk isnt worth it, make safe/smart passes

• we need to start building up sharp for minutes, he had shooting capabilities… and sampson obviously didnt feel comfortable with him this game, so we need to give him more minutes vs bad team to raise that confidence

• you guys are already slandering me for the sasser comments, but shead has not looked very good this year on offense at all. he was a bad shooter last year but is somehow worse this year …and not entirely his fault (the roster isnt as accommodating as last year) but his impact as an assist man is less

• last year i noted it was our 1st year with the “easy 2” with carlton… we dont have that this year… (and no, roberts getting an offensive rebound and put back isnt an easy 2)

• we leave our guards in iso too much, i dont think weve run a play all year to get sasser an open shot… with offball screens and setup… would love some armoni sets for sasser

• scary/bad possibility for this team, we beat kent state by insanely out rebounding them and owning the post defense (+23 on the boards, 25% on 2pt-ers)…we were just manhandled on the boards amd owned on post defense just the game before… what carried us through this game is not something we have every game. what happens if we replicate this game vs a team that can rebound

• if jwan has a 3 in his game, at this point, im going to need him to just shoot a couple (especially when he was at the 4)… not because i care if he makes it, but simply for other teams to guard him and see it as a possibility , and spread out the floor… with our poor shooting floor spacing is major to our offense …every drive was like 3 guys in the post…

• horrible level freethrow shooting by a team of our calibur from everyone not named sasser

the good

• jwas stat line was amazing- 11pts 14 rbs 4blocks, 1stl, 1 ast

• chaney had some great moments, that strip score was great

• they might have scored 2pts total in the 10minutes javier played, they were reliant on post points and couldnt get any with javier in

• the end of game drive by jamal was clutch, the sasser fts were clutch… played huge in the clutch despite not great games

• minus the the starts of both halfs the defense was truly special… kent state can score. among the guards Sasser’s defense stood out to me

9 Likes

Yeah, im a little concerned. Cause with undersized forwards, you would think theyd use their quickness to get to long rebounds

And yet we’re still getting beat to those at times. Im talking Jwan and Jarace. And even Reggie

Jwan had a double double, but some of his plays in the post, turnovers, i was just surprised he was doing that. Hes usually very solid with the ball.

Reggie is Reggie. 4 pts & a few rebounds is all you can typically expect

Jarace and Francis are the 2 wild cards. Jarace should go to the low block. Catching it on the perimeter every time. He doesn’t know whether to shoot the 3, or drive it. Getting him closer to the basket, where he can use his strength would be great. But unfortunately hes playing more like a guard. Instead of a Coog forward

3 Likes

Let’s also keep in mind that CKS said that the flu ran through the team this week. Shead had a 103 fever earlier this week, Javier and Chaney were out for several days, Ramon couldn’t even play today. I’m sure there’s a good amount of remaining fatigue from that - which could certainly impact our playing.

11 Likes

Just have to wait for Jarace to turn that consistency corner. Offense will be much better when we don’t need Sasser to carry the scoring and no clear 2nd option. We are still just 6 games in.

It’s still November. This team obviously has a lot of weaknesses as of right now.

What I’d like is to see moving forward is consistent growth from our younger players and more pt for Francis, Arcenaux, and in particular, Sharpe.

Mainly I’d like to see Sharp as we could use another outside shooting threat. We have plenty of scorers, but when Sasser is having an off night and the other guys can’t shoot, one of the few shooters that can fill it, is Sharp.

Arcenaux is another shooter, but he’s still young and needs more playing experience. Having these two guys (Sharp and TA) as outside shooting threats helps spread the floor when Sasser is being doubled or having an off night. While Mark and Shead are terrific scorers at times they aren’t great 3-pt great shooters.

Francis is a guy that I’m hoping gets more pt due to his defensive presence. Offensively he’s showing more potential as a threat, much more than Cheney. Love Cheney, but his offense is mostly putbacks and dunks, not something we’re seeing much when we play teams that can defend the post.

3 Likes