Game 6 review

This basketball team and coach make picking option 3 way easy. I got options 1 and 2 covered with Dana.

I will enjoy this.

1 Like

Ig’nunt

1 Like

Didn’t Coach say Kent state does something unique with their scheme that they hide or shadow their positioning. Or that they do something that’s becoming popular that our guys have never experienced? Idr, im just glad we got hit in the mouth today like he said earlier

Honestly, ill take an offensive performance like this now. Instead of on national TV versus Alabama or Virginia.

How many AP voters and Basketball analysts watched our game today, maybe a handful. Sweep this one under the rug

2 Likes

This team is defensively one of the best teams I’ve ever seen.

Offensively, we really miss Edwards, Taze, Fabian, and Carlton. There was bound to be some kinks to work out as everybody tries to fit into their new roles. Not having a guy who can really create his own looks with consistency other than (kind of) Sasser and Shead is arguably our biggest issue right now. I’d like to see more organization on offense, run some set plays to get guys open looks from the mid-range.

2 Likes

This ain’t the first shooting slump I’ve seen from Sasser…

He will shoot his way out of it… And then it’s GAME OVER.

3 Likes

Remember, this team is still very new. The only guys that played much together last year were Shead, Roberts, Chaney and Ramon Walker. Everyone is still finding their role this year with the team.

We played badly against a team that will more than likely win the MAC…and we won.

We will have other bad nights.

1 Like

I agree with Pesik that Sasser has not been great offensive up to this point. But I will say that he somehow manages to score points. 19 points when your squad scored a total of 49 is impressive for a horrible shooting day. That is what All-Americans do when they don’t have the stroke.

It was already mentioned in another reply, but I’ll reiterate that we do not have three experienced seniors capable of knocking down a 3 from anywhere like we did with Fabian, Kyler, and Taze last season. Carlton was a Mac truck underneath for us for cleanup and second chance points.

This team has more talent on paper but Mark and Walker are still figuring things out with this lineup. Shead and Sasser don’t have a lot of minutes logged together either so there are going to be days like this.

I do want to see Sharp in there when we can’t get anything going offensively. We’re gonna have to rely heavily on our defense until we figure this out.

Could take some lumps along the way with some Ls against Virginia and St. Mary’s but none of that matters when March comes around. By that time Walker and Arceneaux will be good to go. And Sasser will regress to the mean of being a mid 30% 3-point shooter.

Everything is fine. Let’s enjoy being number 1 for a week or two.

2 Likes

I have been wondering about Sharp’s minutes too. Two thoughts:

1. His defense is not where it needs to be (always a good answer with a CKS coached team); and
  2. CKS is trying to establish chemistry with his “go to” lineup down the stretch. Sasser and Mark missed most of last year and need some tread on their tires.

Sharp just needs to be patient. He will be a contributor this season.

2 Likes

Don’t think that’s what he meant (that they’re one of the 16 best teams in the country). Kent St. would never come close to getting a bid to the tourney without their conference’s auto bid. But with the way they play and the talent they have at certain spots, they could easily capitalize on that auto-bid by making a short run at surprising some folks, much like they almost did tonight. Teams like Kent St. usually fare better than expected in March. I think that was his point.

2 Likes

let’s see how kent looks vs gonzaga before you annoint them sweet 16…coogs had a bad day….kent state is talented and well coached but coogs missed many wide open shots ….not normal for this team

2 Likes

You guys are too hard on Sasser. His 3 point shooting is off but he’s still contributing on offense.

Arceneaux and Francis need more playing time IMO. I really like the athleticism they bring on the floor.

I agree that Jarace needs to get tougher. The opposition gets physical with him and he fades in games.

1 Like

Marcus has been really good on the defensive end. He’s also been great in transition and money from the line. That’s how he’s still been able to put up 17 a game. He’s in a shooting slump from the perimeter but once he snaps out of it, watch out.

1 Like

I was on the Sasser train his freshman year when many wiser than myself were on board with Mills… … … …

Sasser was strong for the small sample size last year, but many forget that for most of the 2020 conference slate (that’s 2 solid months) he was largely absent. But for a couple of games his shooting was less than average he said nicely. I seem to remember that his cold streak started when Grimes was out for a game at Temple. So by me saying that it means that I hate Sasser. Good grief.

Bottom line. Living up to 3pt expectations (and Grimes level is untouchable) it seems an overall 33% would be great as compared to what it has been lately and in the past. Fingers crossed.

We are missing their (minus Fabien) January-March offense. We had zero clue that they were going to contribute like they did this time last year. Carlton was an after thought until we lost Sasser and mark. Edwards and Taze were coming off the bench after the bench came off the bench. They came into their own after the new year.

I suspect at Gonzaga they will not be allowed to play as aggressive on defense and will be FT’d into submission.

Ditto. Kept waiting for him to return as he altered shots and was dominant on boards. Assume it was the 2 TOs and his FT shooting.

Our defense has been at an elite level every game. Our rebounding was phenomenal last game and all 8 players had 3+ rebounds.We did this despite the team not being together all week. Our top two guards made clutch finishes with the game in the balance and Sasser went 4 for 4 from the line both being 1 and 1, to pull this game out in the last min.
Shots missing don’t concern me because I know these guys can make shots. They will be there when we need the, like in Oregon.
It takes a special set of players with character to buy into this philosophy. It is really hard to be elite defensively and still efficient on offense. The shooting is not going to be there every game. By facing new schemes and getting punched we learn so I don’t see it as bad thing. We are fortunate we can win in a variety of ways.

4 Likes

Sorry. It must have dropped pretty good after yesterday. He was at 27.7 when I looked. Guess it didn’t have Kent State yet. Good call.

1 Like

ChVr7omUUAAGFLP

same shooter, same defender, same late close out.

He’ll get better at it