Game should have been Fertitta North

I was at the game. It was great to see so many Cougar Fans! But…we have work to do. Duke fan base far outnumbered ours! And they were loud and raucous! I know…they’re a Blueblood. But our program is an elite program as well. We were The Texas Team in our home state. Just a little embarrassing. Go Coogs!

4 Likes

Didn’t want to say it during the game but on tv Duke sounded louder than us when they did good Vs us when we did good. I guess being Duke gets you that all over the country even in Texas. Only in Houston we would have had the number advantage I guess. Tells you how many fans they have.

They have a huge legion of t shirt fans. There were lots of people with neither team gear on rooting for them too. We dont have that and I honest don’t care if we do. Their fans that sat in my section were POS.

1 Like

Even Tony Romo was in the Duke section with his son. Do they have the largest national fan base, or Kentucky or UNC?

Did we have more than NC State?

There were way more Coog fans walking around downtown and Victory Plaza during the first game than Duke fans.maybe they went to both games?

I think there must have a bunch of locals at the game there to see the big brand. Their school allotted section didn’t seem to have more than ours. Ours was really full. I thought Duke’s was the least filled in of the 4 schools.

1 Like

Well to start with they didn’t come anywhere near out numbering us. All 4 teams represented well. We had the most by a healthy margin and Marquette the least also by a healthy margin.
UH was very loud starting the game and Duke really didn’t make a peep until they took the lead. There was probably a somber environment after Shead was hurt.

9 Likes

Also, many of the NC State fans in my section were rooting for them, which I found odd, including the ones right next to me.

They didn’t want to play against Houston

7 Likes

We were loud as sh1t up until jamal got hurt. All feedback from other fans was that they hoped we would lose…they were scared!

4 Likes

I definitely saw more Duke and NC State gear than UH gear, which speaks nothing of the half of people there with no gear on. Even Marquette may have had more.

coogs always have an issue traveling, even regionally. you could grant part of the problem is that its easter weekend, but everyone had that. i would bet even in national championship isn’t going to get the numbers up very much.

1 Like

Oh we had no problems with 20,000 plus going to Atlanta for the Peach Bowl, granted the ticket prices were a lot cheaper.

We owned the upper deck on the bench side, filled out our lower allotment and still had a good number spread through the rest of the arena. Another example of a poster spreading inaccurate and negative narratives, we traveled well for this as we did in San Antonio. Had we won, 75% of the crowd would be UH for the next game.
It not like we can keep other fans from buying tickets and the arena was sold out.

4 Likes

I was lower deck surrounded by Marquette and NCSt fans. whole sections of them were booing Duke loudly and cheering for the Coogs. The NCSt fans near me said “Wow! How do we do that?” That was before Jamal’s injury.

That’s it. They have t-shirt fans from coast-to-coast. A Duke guy was calling the game, that clown Jay Williams (who’s in a March Madness commercial posing as a Duke fan) talks about them any chance he gets. Seth Davis is on TV and a Duke fan. They’re everywhere. Most of them didn’t go to Duke and probably couldn’t get into college. And they hadn’t heard of Duke before 1986. It is what it is.

UH showed well considering the prices. To get a pair of decent seats off the secondary market was pushing well over $500 with taxes and fees.

Incredible experience at the team send off at the Hyatt and the pre game spots. Totally worth it despite the loss I’m sure others like myself can’t wait to hopefully do it again next year only even bigger. That’s how we grow this thing.

Absolutely shocked at the number of Duke fans at the arena. Only saw a few here and there during the day and then boom you walk into the arena and it’s half blue half red. Duke showing well takes nothing away from our great fans

1 Like

Dumb thread. UH repped extremely well. There was never a doubt Duke would have a presence. They “sounded louder” because our team got punched in the balls 10 minutes into the game.

6 Likes

d27e7f93-1566-4487-ade8-aa82ec274b4d_text

Everything was good except the UHAA venue. Restaurant sucked.

Would have much preferred the original location. Not sure why they changed it.

I was at the game, Sec 303 and my view of the overall arena was 20% casual fans, 35% Houston, 20% Duke, 15% NC State and 10% Marquette. Many Coog fans showed up later… right before the start of our game.